Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Extinction rebellion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Elles, Apr 18, 2019.

1. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

So who here went to the demo in London or other ones on Saturday ?

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I grew up in the 70's/80's & the threat of nuclear war was always being discussed. We were talking about this at my dog training club the other week about how many of us (as children) were terrified by it as it always seemed to be there. We watched the film Threads at school & it was horrific

#102 Cleo38, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    lullabydream, mrs phas and kimthecat like this.
  3. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Excellent post x I simply don't understand how so many people still cannot grasp the magnitude of what we are facing.

Climate change is here, we now have a small window of opportunity to drastically cut our emmissions before we go over the tipping point & it becomes irreversible & the effects catastrophic for life on earth.

Me neither, but this is what we're up against. The kids shame older generations, no wonder they feel so let down.

I didn't say an eight year old child did write that:confused: Shes just turned 16. Teaching children scientific facts isn't brainwashing Rafa. If older generations had been better informed & acted accordingly then maybe Greta & her generation wouldn't have been forced into taking action now.

#103 noushka05, Apr 19, 2019
    bearcub likes this.
  4. noushka05

I love this.

[​IMG]

bearcub likes this.
  5. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

tbf theyre causing more pollution by jamming streets than not
    plus rent a mob tactics
    and i notice rent a mouth was there today spouting off her hot air
    when will people realise that we can do what we can, even get things down to zero or negative numbers,
    but it
    will make no difference whilst china and india are emerging industrial countries, china has just done a deal with malaysia over palm oil
    and the biggest polluting country in the world ( all pollution)
    has a leader who doesnt believe global warming is a thing, that alternate fuels need to be funded and that we will be the reason this earth become unviable ( im surprised hes not a flat earther as well)

6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Oh dear. She been my hero for years .:(
    What has she done ?

Good points. It seems that some posters equate disagreeing with a prolonged protest to not caring about climate change.

Calvine, Rafa, samuelsmiles3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I agree.

I find attitude a big problem, when those who make their way out onto the streets, disrupting traffic and waving banners, automatically assume that those of us who choose not to do that, are doing nothing whatsoever to reduce our 'carbon footprint' as much as possible, and don't give a horse's petunia about climate change.

Education has to be better than intimidation.

Lexiedhb, LinznMilly, Calvine and 3 others like this.
  8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

So what is the answer?? do nothing and hope all the scientists and experts are wrong?
    I think I go with the 'shout louder and longer' approach if we arent being heard. Obviously some countries are worse then others but the do nothing approach is a global death sentence.

LinznMilly, noushka05 and Elles like this.
  9. noushka05

While theres still hope & we still have time, millions of people across the globe intend to go down fighting, for the sake of our children, future generations & all the Earths amazing lifeforms.

Hopefully the Americans will vote for progressive leader this time who will ditch neoliberalism & implement their awesome Green deal.

USAs wonderful Alexandria Orcasia-Cortez narrates this brilliant video, explaining how we got in this mess & how we get out of it :)

10. noushka05

Education hasnt worked & we simply dont have time. Also no one is being intimidated.

11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

So you and Colette etc are going to join the protests and shout louder ?

I just dont think mayhem and chaos is the answer.

#111 kimthecat, Apr 19, 2019
  12. samuelsmiles3

samuelsmiles3 PetForums Member

I was being very unfair on Jane Goodall. She was in a British Airways advert last year but she quickly removed herself from it once she got a kicking in the Guardian from George Monbiot.

The money was probably going to her foundation so she should still be your hero. She seems a very genuine woman. :)

Calvine, Cleo38 and kimthecat like this.
  13. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Oh good. :) Shes 85 now !
    I think its nearly impossible to be totally green , everyone has to do the best they can .

14. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

So, what do you plan to do personally?

kimthecat likes this.
  15. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

And if the shout louder and longer approach doesnt work? what then? terrorism in the name of the planet? Once one starts shouting and realising that no ones llistening, then theres always a next step and a next and a next

if its one thing ive taken from my years in schools, and abroad, its that shouting longer and louder doesnt mean anyone understands, any more than before. Teaching and learning is better done with clear heads and calm debate which in turn leads to understanding and change
    screaming in my face would just make me walk away, talk to me and i will not only listen, but i might learn something as well

peaceful talking and learning is the way forward, but until everyone sits down and pulls for the same thing we're all sitting in a leaky boat called earth

16. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I worry that it already is too late TBH.:( People are protesting and educating themselves now but there is such a landslide of ignorance, greed and apathy to fight againest that I wonder if we really do have the time?

I probably dont do enough, I will admit that. Apparently the best things you can do personally for climate change is not to fly and eat a plant based diet so I have that covered. Also recycling as much as possible and reducing water consumption (although mine is already less then half of the average for my household size). Then just try and vote for which ever dirtbag politician seems to care the most about having a sustainable future on this planet.

17. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I completely agree, especially the part I have highlighted in bold. Shouting doesn't always mean you are heard & at times the message is just lost in amongst the noise. Someone commented earlier that the protest has people talking about climate change but has it really or are people just talking about the 'activists' & the disruption …

Lexiedhb, Magyarmum and samuelsmiles3 like this.
  18. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Nothing else has worked, but I wouldn’t worry about it. If they’re right and if nothing is done, being stuck in traffic because it’s bank holiday weekend, or because of eco warriors will be a faint memory. The planet will start to get rid of us at a faster rate and good riddance. :)

The concern is spreading worldwide anyway, not just our backyard. I suppose people have to shout or the wealthy won’t hear in their bubbles of air con.

I expect it’ll be over soon and most people will move on.

kimthecat likes this.
  19. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t go to London unless I really had no choice and that wouldn’t be for a demo however much I agreed with it. I can’t breathe in our capital.

kimthecat likes this.
  20. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Im sorry you are so worried. Im sure a lot of people are worried , I know I am. Everyone has to do the best they can within their capabilities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice