Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Extinction rebellion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Elles, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

There’s hardly anything on it. ;)

When I say ‘we’ though, I mean the greater ‘we’. People and governments in the U.K.

2. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

He has. We need to be more careful with our plastic. Thats a part of it. I think they should all go plant based too. Going plant based will do more for the environment than smashing windows.

Most of the protestors were involved in sitting down, not spray painting the shell building. They should have got Banksy to do it. :eek:

3. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Unless someone can think of something better, civil disobedience is now our only hope of forcing government to take the urgent & radical action required to save our planet. We have less than 12 years to drastically reduce our emissions. We are close to the tipping point of runaway climate change which will be irreversible & catastrophic for life on earth - our civilisation is in peril.

I hope everyone will tune into this tonight on BBC1. Hopefully then they will be not only be understanding of Extinction Rebellion - but supportive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bearcub and picaresque like this.
  4. noushka05

They're not rampaging around London smashing windows.

5. noushka05

This is what I was trying to say.

[​IMG]

6. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

You're not going to like this.

Whilst I absolutely love David Attenborough - I believe no teacher taught me as much as he has - Packham needs to be a bit careful using the 'always' word.

Time was when Attenborough would steal the animals we now so admire from their native environments to bring them back to the UK.

This is from his own autobiography - not sensationalist journalism. It's funny how people forget things.

LinznMilly, picaresque and Elles like this.
  7. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Hopefully they will take notice of what people there are saying and address their concerns. I can see why they spray painted the building, but if they did smash windows that is a step too far imo. I think many police officers are sympathetic to the cause, but will try to keep things moving as best they can. I do see your points, but I like that people are standing up against something that’s very important and getting noticed. It is important, not just to them, but to every being on the planet.

There was a lot of disruption over fox hunting too..

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

My issue is more with the people that drive this sort of thing than the ideology itself. There must be something in it for them, and at that point the ideology gets lost somewhat.

Siskin, kimthecat and Elles like this.
  9. noushka05

Yes Attenborough has spoken truthfully what he did in the past.

MilleD likes this.
  10. noushka05

Climate science isnt an ideology - its science.

bearcub likes this.
  11. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I haven’t met them and the media can’t be trusted on this I think, so I’ll reserve judgement. :)

Some people will hang their coat on it though, because it’s in and trendy and it’s what they do. They like to think they’re into all this sort of thing.

kimthecat likes this.
  12. noushka05

Please listen to Greta Thunberg's emotional speech speaking truth to power at the EU Parliament in Strasbourg this week. This young girl has inspired millions of children & adults to stand up & fight for our living planet. She is amazing.

bearcub and LinznMilly like this.
  13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'm sorry Noush, all I think when I see that is a poor girl that isn't enjoying what should be the best years of her life.

Maybe you think that's ok, but I really don't. She should be out being a kid.

You're right, she is amazing, but I really don't think that this will benefit her personally in the long term. I see sadness in her family's future :(

PawsOnMe, ForestWomble, Rafa and 2 others like this.
  14. noushka05

Shes done this off her own back because she understands without radical change she may not have a future Mille. Its an act of desperation.

bearcub likes this.
  15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

You have no idea if that is true or not, and what outside influence she has had from family/friends/teachers.

I don't think it's good for her.

16. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I agree. I’m presuming it’s Greta. No 8 year old child with adhd and aspergers should become so terrified of global warming she suffers selective mutism and can’t speak. I was horrified when I read it. :(

HarlequinCat, Cleo38, O2.0 and 4 others like this.
  17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

No child of that age should be feeling desperate.

Her next Birthday party, holiday, friends and having fun as a child should be her focus at that age, not global warming.

She looks terribly sad and I wonder what she is hearing to make her feel that way.

Cleo38, Elles, MollySmith and 3 others like this.
  18. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I have so many mixed feelings over Extinction Rebellion. They have been very vocal where I live and rightly so as one of the most popular places to live and with it pollution and a divided council who have been given money to tackle this but fibble flabble about and yet to take action. They are going to fail to address congestion in some areas of the city because of business and actually consumer power, consumers who drive cars and cause congestion, it feels like an uphill struggle so I did get involved initially.

What stopped me was legal advisors who only know how to get arrested and had funds to deal with bail, and the manner of the protest. It’s public transport that will save my city from gridlock so the notion of disruptive action for trains is madness. Cars, aeroplanes I can understand, cruise ships and Westminster because frankly I don’t think anyone who cares about our planet would vote for this Government. But I just don’t think it was thought of wisely. It goes against what I believe in, which is education, learning and whilst I don’t mind a march, pissing those who need to learn is not the way to go. I also would rather our desperately stretched police did other work. I have no comment on the founder being vegan or otherwise, I’m not 100% vegan and still believe in climate change protest.

Edit to say, I may head out tomorrow and see what is happening, I do think the media maybe cherry picking a little but my experiences made me feel uncomfortable.

Lurcherlad and Elles like this.
  19. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I wonder that too. I think marches and demos can be for the good and this is a worthy cause . Ive been on them myself but when It becomes more than that in highly publicised ,cases I think it becomes more about the individual themselves, wanting to be part of something,

It will be something else next week , it was the same with save the seals , whales , anti vivisection in Trafalgar Sq, huge massive crowds and a couple of years alter it was down to a couple of hundred people outside the Canadian embassy etc

20. noushka05

Don't you want children to be taught about climate change in schools? Climate denier Gove wanted to remove it from the curriculum, is that what you would like to happen? You think children should be ignorant about THE most important subject there is, one which will determine their future?

And no, I don't think its okay she should be suffering, I think its heartbreaking. If previous generations hadn't let Greta's generation down so badly Greta wouldn't feel compelled to do what shes doing now. She would not be living with the constant worry. World leaders & older generations are to blame for Greta's suffering, if adults dont want kids like Greta to shoulder the burden they should get out in the streets themselves. Join Extinction Rebellion maybe.

Greta's words.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is great by Jonathan Pie Molly. (WARNING: dont watch if you're offended by swear words though)

as annoying as these tree-huggers might seem, peaceful civil disobedience has a history of changing minds and Government policy - It works!

You can only speak for yourself, just because it may be your reason for protesting doesn't mean its the same for other people. 'Wanting to be part of something' has zero to do with it for me or my family or my friends. We go because we desperately want to stop something or change something- its as simple as that for us.

As the effects of climate change get worse & the window to act further closes, I suspect the movement will only grow. My fear is though, this ecocidal government of ours will crack down hard on peaceful climate protestors.

#40 noushka05, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    bearcub likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice