Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Expressing cat at home

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Catlover13, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Catlover13

Catlover13 PetForums Newbie

My 1 year old cat fractured his pelvis in a suspected RTA on Thursday (9/8/18) and has since suffered some nerve damage meaning he needs his bladder expressed. It has only been 6 days since the accident but the vets we are with were adamant about euthanising him on Monday which was just 4 days after the trauma. I have read 100s of threads on forums across the internet of paralysed cats who have to be expressed by their owners at home but still live happy lives otherwise. He is still a baby who enjoys life despite his current pain and I feel he hasn’t been given any time to heal. We asked the vet this morning if we could express at home and she told us it would be too dangerous as we’re not trained professionals like her (patronising!) do I need to change my vets? They haven’t seemed willing to help since he was brought in. He never uses a litter tray as he always goes to the toilet outside so he keeps trying to get out after meals to go :((

2. Amanda Sturdy

Amanda Sturdy PetForums Member

Oh it must be very difficult i really feel for you.I am no expert but would the vet suggest that lightly.Sometimes its the last act of kindness we can show by letting them go.What you have to consider is her quality of life.If she is an outdoor cat and now will have to be indoors that i would imagine would be quite stressful.Is there not another vet in the practice you could ask they all have to follow a code of conduct.I truly hope your cat gets the best possible outcome whatever that maybe

3. Catlover13

We’re going to get a second opinion just to be sure before making any radical decisions. He has my heart broken don’t think I’ve ever cried this much. He’s pooing fine and he’s leaking urine now and again. He’s still a happy boy and has a great appetite which is why I’m hesitant to go anything just yet. Many things online have said 2 weeks is the period of time where any nerve damage should heal if it’s going to. I don’t know where her to give him more time to heal on his own but he’s breaking my heart massively!

4. Amanda Sturdy

Amanda Sturdy PetForums Member

Ahh bless you its truly awfuĺ it won't do any harm to get a second opinion and may help you to make the best decision

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Catlover13 - I would certainly want to give him more time to heal than 4 days! It is very good news that he is able to poo unaided. :) Many of them can't after a road accident.

We have had forum members in the past who were taught by their vet (or vet nurse) how to express the cat's bladder. But please note, that expressing urine can be painful for the cat, and some cats will not put up with it. You would need to do it at least twice a day, to prevent the risk of his bladder becoming overfull, or the risk of a UTI.

I don't know if you have pet insurance, but if it were me in these difficult circumstances I would pay a vet nurse to make home visits to me for a week or two, first to train me in expressing the cat's bladder and then to check that I was doing it right and the cat's bladder was emptying properly.

Give your cat vet bed to lie on in his bed (if he is home with you) - so any leaking urine will go right through, leaving him a dry surface to lie on. Puppy pads can be put under the vet bed to soak up the urine. Vet bed can be bought from pet stores or ebay more cheaply than from the vet.

If you are not getting the support you want at present from your vet I would see another vet, perhaps from a different practice. If you're going to embark on trying to nurse your cat you will need a vet you can rely on 100% for support.

Here are a couple of threads with very useful information on nerve damage to the bladder, posted by our forum vet Ceiling Kitty. You may like to read them:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/urgent-nerve-damage-in-bladder-and-bowel.401840/#post-1064215436.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...efty-maine-coon.406254/page-5#post-1064296580

I wish your cat well and hope very much it will be possible to help him.x Please let us know how he goes on. :)

#5 chillminx, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    KoolK, sandy-cat, moggie14 and 2 others like this.
  6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Great idea, could give lessons to OP.

chillminx likes this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As @chillminx has said there have been many success stories on PF so please don't lose hope just yet.
    Can I add another one to the list , I know it is a while ago and this member is most likely no longer "active" but the story of her cat should give hope to anyone in this situation.............https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...t-hit-by-car-nerve-damage-please-help.119322/

There are a few updates to Tilly's story to be found on the members profile page.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Catlover13 - how is his bladder emptying being managed at present? If he is leaking urine he could have a full bladder. Is he still an inpatient at the vets?

9. Catlover13

He was released on Monday to see if he was more comfortable in his familiar surroundings to go to the toilet which he 100% has been. The start of the week was touch and go where his bladder went to being full when the vet expressed him on Tuesday to almost empty today. We’re definitely seeing him squatting now when he needs to go rather than him lying down and realising he’s peed when he gets up. Still not out of the woods yet but things are a little more positive! Our current vets don't want to see him in the morning because his bladder was so empty today so it was almost a waste of everyone's time but we do have an appointment in a different vets tomorrow so they can express him then if need be.

KoolK, Calvine and chillminx like this.
  10. Catlover13

The new vet seems very willing to teach us how to express his bladder however warned us that some cats hate it and find it very painful. We've been using the puppy pad and blankets just so he's not ruining anything if he does have an accident. He has slept a lot more today as he's more settled at home however I don't want to get my hopes up too much just incase. The current vets have moved onto to discussions of tail amputation because he has lost sensation in it (these are the ones who had no faith in him and wanted to euthanise him on Saturday). Eager to hear what this new vet thinks but she seems very helpful and said we can try him on some medication to help his bladder function and try to stimulate nerve repair.

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

This is very encouraging news! Sounds like he is making some good progress! I am so pleased for him, and for you. :)

If he is unable to lift his tail at all and there is no sign of feeling returning over the next week or so the vet may feel it is wisest to have his tail amputated. Sometimes the nerve damage heals more quickly if a non-functioning tail is removed.

Please update us with how things go. Sending healing thoughts to him and moral support to you.

Calvine likes this.
  12. Catlover13

Thank you!! He has had 3 pees today where we watched him and it was just like he normally would!! So happy that it seems that he has gained some control of his bladder. He doesn’t seem to have any tail function which is such a shame because he has such an amazing tail however he was cleaning it earlier which I found strange. He’s a semi feral cat so him being indoors so much is driving him insane!

Calvine likes this.
  13. Catlover13

This was back in December, he has such an amazing tail I’ll be so sad to see it go however I’d much rather have him in my life ❤️

Attached Files:

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am delighted to hear he is peeing independently! This is wonderful news! So glad you did not take the 1st vets advice to have your cat pts. :)

He will clean his tail because it smells dirty to him (i.e. in need of a wash :)). If he is unable to lift his tail it will get pee or poo on it unfortunately. Also if it hangs down when he walks and it scrapes along the floor it will get dirty and could easily get injured.

I do hope he won't have to lose his tail. I understand your sadness, one of mine (my LH cat) has an incredible tail too and I would be heartbroken if he had to lose it. But would of course sacrifice his tail if it came to it. As I know you would.

EDIT: wow, I see what you mean about his beautiful tail.!! He is a very handsome boy isn't he? :)

KoolK and Catlover13 like this.
  15. Catlover13

He’s just a gorgeous cat, called Gizmo btw - think his name suits his personality perfectly

16. Catlover13

Little update:
    We’re just back from the new vets and she’s almost certain bladder function will keep improving with time and we’ve seen him normally quite a few times now.

He’s on cage rest for 4 weeks and then he’s booked in for another X-ray and tail amputation at the end of the 4 weeks.

I am apprehensive about the cage rest just because he’s such an active cat and I don’t know how he’ll take to prison life. He’s been in the cage for about 30 mins now and he has settled down quite a bit. If anyone has any tips on how to keep cats happy whilst in a cage for long periods of time please send them my way!!

So happy we didn’t listen to those other vets but also really annoyed they didn’t even give him a chance!

SbanR, KoolK, Calvine and 2 others like this.
  17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Cage rest is not usually an easy situation for any cat to cope with. Gizmo will need 'entertainment' and companionship. Set the cage up in a spot in the home where there is the most activity, so Gizmo can see you. Some people even move the cat's cage into the bedroom with them at night (but this may not be possible due to the size of the cage).

Sit next to the cage with your cat as much as you can. Chat to him. If he is in the mood for playing, use a wand toy through the bars of the cage.

If you can, place the cage safely on a table by a window so he can look out and see birds, squirrels etc.

He may spend most of his time sleeping. If he is unsettled or restless, consider giving him a course of Zylkene. It's a supplement not a drug, but even so I would let the vet know what you plan to do, as he is under their care.

Is Gizmo allowed to come out of the cage once a day to walk around the room and stretch his legs?

Please keep us updated with his progress. :)

p.s. great name btw. :)

KoolK, Calvine and buffie like this.
  18. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

What a lovely update,so pleased that everything is looking far better for Gizmo .
    I cant help with the cage rest,sorry,I have thankfully never had to do this with any cats I've had.
    If you find it really hard on him and he becomes distressed would you be ale to create a corner in a room where he could be "fenced in" so to speak,or even empty a smallish room and keep him in there with nothing that he can climb up on to .

KoolK likes this.
  19. Catlover13

He’s in the kitchen at the minute because he got really restless when he was in a room with us because he couldn’t get out, but gradually we’ll bring him in with us when he’s a bit more settled.

He’s allowed out to go to the toilet because he just refuses to use a litter tray and will only go outside and also for cuddle however I think he’d rather roam about than get cuddles!

KoolK likes this.
  20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

When you say "outside" I imagine you mean outside his cage, but still in the room, not "outside" as in outdoors? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice