Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

exposure to abuse

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by piggybaker, May 3, 2011.

1. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

OK just bare with me whist I try and sort this out in my head and get it to screen,,,

My son has had to do a project this holiday about elephants in captivity and circuses and whilst they shouldn't be in these situations,, I have not been able to find anything but abuse of these beautiful animals, I sat my son down to watch a utube flick about elephants in captivity we had to turn if off as I was crying and Charlie was also visable distressed..

so I am slightly frustrated by this piece of homework that it will expose the youngsters to abuse as to understand it you have to see it,, his teacher has also had them write to Bristol Zoo to say that keeping elephants in captivity os cruel:(

I just struggling with this .. at what age do you think a child should be exsposed to animal abuse.

Please a friendly ear is all I need sometimes this is got to be a real hard one in parenting side of things.

2. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Well i suppose it depends how grown up the child is really. Its always good to educate kids to how animals should be treated.
    There is only so long kids can be sheltered from the knowledge of animal abuse, taught in the right way could be beneficial :)

#2 harley bear, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  3. rona

rona Guest

Mmmm while I agree with the sentiment, I'm not sure that the teachers own personal views should be taught as fact. It could be set as a project for the kids to make their own minds up, but they would need to be capable of sourcing the info for themselves.
    Not having had kids, I'm not sure what age that would be

4. rona

rona Guest

That's it, I don't think this is the right way, do you?

5. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I'm undecided. Depends how old the child is. I think its good because it gets children thinking about cruelty and makes them less likely to abuse other animals

6. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

No i dont, like you said in your last post the kids should be old enough to source the info themselves.
    In regards to age i think it could be taught from the age of about eight in a sensitive way and nothing graphic shown about the more severe abuse animals can suffer.

7. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

a teacher should never try to impose his/her personal views on a child.

i wouldnt be happy if my year 6 child was made aware of animal abuse at school. of course if he asks questions at home, then i am not going to lie to him but at least i can control the amount of knowledge he is given.

as rona said, surely a more healthy way to approach a topic like this would be to look at the pro's and cons of keeping such animals in captivity x

8. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

If that was Alfies teacher telling him to write to a zoo I would go mental!! I know some zoos dont do very much cultivation blah blah but the few we have visited do....Colchester for one and to think that colchester has had the highest birth rate of all captive elephants to be sent back into the wild is amazing to me and excactly what zoos are meant to be. So that would upset me. However circuses are a different matter and yes very cruel. So that I wouldnt mind. However at what age....certainly not at his age (he is nearly 6) I think there is so much stuff they have to be made aware of at such a young age already, its taking away their childhood and innocence. I would say maybe in the last year of primary school, mainly cause by the time they are in secondary school the teenhood makes them not care so much anyway....if you get what I mean.

9. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

I'm not sure how old he is but I think talking to him about the abuse they suffer is fine and actually a good thing for a child of any age to start thinking about (not in too much detail) but I wouldn't be exposing him to any videos :(

The writing to the zoo thing is a bit out of order, kids love zoo's and writing a letter like that is going to destroy his enjoyment of them :( Not only that but it's something you should do when you have a personal passion about it, not because someone says you should...

10. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

writing to one of the worlds most respected zoos about elephant abuse?

11. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

i agree depends on what age the child is really dont agree with writing to the zoo i no my 7 year old would be heart broken with to much info a think some knowledge is great an teaches children to respect animals but the childs age is a big factor :)

12. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

I did the advantages and disadvantages of zoos last year with my class. They were year 3, so 7 or 8 years-old. We never looked at any videos of abuse we just discussed things like small cage sizes and how they'd feel about people staring at them all day. Persusive writing is on the National Curriculum and lot of the resources out there are about zoos and keeping animals captive. To be honest most of mine didn't really know enough about zoos in the first place, they were far better at writing why homework should be banned.

I can see why the teacher would set writing a letter to a zoo. But not actually to be sent to them, it just gives a the kids a senario to write about as they are meant to be able to argue a point. They don't have to suggest the zoo treats their animals terribly, but at the same time it's not the conditions they would have in the wild.

Whether it is appropriate depends on what the teacher means by animal abuse. Is she actually suggesting videos of abuse, or is she thinking lack of space, wrong climate, visitor noise stressing the animals....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice