UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is that my doctor usually refuses to give me antibiotics, but if i take a dog to the vets they ALWAYS get antibiotics...

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Why is that my doctor usually refuses to give me antibiotics, but if i take a dog to the vets they ALWAYS get antibiotics...
Because they cost the NHS and you pay for them from the vet:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Vets often = antibiotics plus or minus steroids. I'm rather afraid it seems to be the answer for an awful lot of doggy problems. I'm not saying it's the wrong treatment, I'm just saying..........

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Your GP will avoid prescribing antibiotics because of the prevalence of MRSA, etc - I don't think animals get MRSA??
Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The doctors used to claim they didnt give them cos we build up immunity to antibiotics if used too often and then when really needed they wouldnt work, vets see it a different way i think....

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
I've often wondered the same thing. Seems every time I've taken mine to the vets they've come away with antibiotics. I remember taking Rupert to the vets for something and the vet noticing a minor injury on his leg. I knew about it, had cleaned it and it was healing well but the vet wanted to give him antibiotics for it "just to be on the safe side" :confused: I refused them but had strict instructions to take him back in a weeks time so the vet could check it (no charge as it was classed as a follow up visit).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Weird... Over the last 40 years I've only once had a vet prescribe antibiotics for one of the dogs, and yet every time I take a human member of the family to a doctor, the knee-jerk reaction is Must Have Antibiotics.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Antibiotic use in humans needs to be carefully weighed up because of the possibility of antibiotic resistance. There are already some antibiotic resistant strains of existing diseases such as TB and E.coli. As has already been said there's a problem with people being prescribed antibiotics and then not bothering to take the full course which helps build up the resistance.

There's an interesting WHO fact sheet on antimicrobial resistance here: Antimicrobial Resistance

As to why some vets are so quick to prescribe them? I've no idea. Most studies I've found that cover antibiotic resistance with any relation to use in animals are related to farm animals and not pets.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
But if human diseases can become resistant to antibiotics then surely animal ones can too so the same care should be taken when prescribing them.

Unless they tend to prescribe them thinking people wouldn't notice the signs of infection or illness or wouldn't bother going back or whatever?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.