Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Explain please...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Colliebarmy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Why is that my doctor usually refuses to give me antibiotics, but if i take a dog to the vets they ALWAYS get antibiotics...

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Because they cost the NHS and you pay for them from the vet:rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Money....!! Although to be fair my vet doesn't give antibiotics ad lib.

4. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

It might also be that you don't necessarily NEED antibiotics. ;)

5. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

Vets often = antibiotics plus or minus steroids. I'm rather afraid it seems to be the answer for an awful lot of doggy problems. I'm not saying it's the wrong treatment, I'm just saying..........

6. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Don't think the vets always give drugs...my chunk went to the eye hospital for his check up, and they mentioned steroids to reduce the vascular look of the graft. Final conclusion was no, he is young and the graft will thin out with age so no...I think this is best :eek:

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

There is that.

Also, I think, because dogs can't tell you if an infection starts up. By time it's obvious, the dog can be really ill. Plus they roll in sh!t.

8. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

Your GP will avoid prescribing antibiotics because of the prevalence of MRSA, etc - I don't think animals get MRSA??
    Could be wrong though.

9. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

You're probably more likely to give you dog the entire course than to take the entire course yourself, a problem which I believe has led to resistant strains of viruses in humans.

10. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

The doctors used to claim they didnt give them cos we build up immunity to antibiotics if used too often and then when really needed they wouldnt work, vets see it a different way i think....

11. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I've often wondered the same thing. Seems every time I've taken mine to the vets they've come away with antibiotics. I remember taking Rupert to the vets for something and the vet noticing a minor injury on his leg. I knew about it, had cleaned it and it was healing well but the vet wanted to give him antibiotics for it "just to be on the safe side" :confused: I refused them but had strict instructions to take him back in a weeks time so the vet could check it (no charge as it was classed as a follow up visit).

12. Smalldogs

Smalldogs PetForums Member

Weird... Over the last 40 years I've only once had a vet prescribe antibiotics for one of the dogs, and yet every time I take a human member of the family to a doctor, the knee-jerk reaction is Must Have Antibiotics.

13. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Antibiotic use in humans needs to be carefully weighed up because of the possibility of antibiotic resistance. There are already some antibiotic resistant strains of existing diseases such as TB and E.coli. As has already been said there's a problem with people being prescribed antibiotics and then not bothering to take the full course which helps build up the resistance.

There's an interesting WHO fact sheet on antimicrobial resistance here: Antimicrobial Resistance

As to why some vets are so quick to prescribe them? I've no idea. Most studies I've found that cover antibiotic resistance with any relation to use in animals are related to farm animals and not pets.

14. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

But if human diseases can become resistant to antibiotics then surely animal ones can too so the same care should be taken when prescribing them.

Unless they tend to prescribe them thinking people wouldn't notice the signs of infection or illness or wouldn't bother going back or whatever?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice