Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Experts in cat nutrition in the forum, please help.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by merlin12, Jan 12, 2012.

1. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I give Merlin wet morning and night, since I´m at work during the day, I leave out a few grains of dry to keep him entertained. It was RC before and I don´t think it is any good so I´ve switched to Orijen which he hasn´t taken to. I´m trying to be firm and not put back the RC and I keep giving him the Orijen. My question is can he survive well on 2 cans a day? he know goes protesting all the way when I go and feed him, letting me know it´s about time. I don´t want him to go hungry but I just want him to have a better nutrition.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

It really depends on what the 2 tins of wet are (complete vs complementary, good quality vs supermarket), whether they are 100g tins or 200g etc and what the feeding rec is. So, it could be that he gets enough nutrition from those two tins or they might be wholly inadequate.

Considering how much you have tried perhaps you should just cut your losses for a while and feed him what he will eat. If that means putting down a little RC dry, so be it. It is not as though you cannot say that you haven't tried. He is apparently more headstrong than you are! :) Once both of you have relaxed, perhaps try again with just one thing that you would really like him to eat. For now, just let it be.

Alaskacat likes this.
  3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

How about mixing the RC which he loves with a little of the Orijen and see if he hoovers it all up while he is at it? I actually mix it in a small tub and let it 'marinade' so the good stuff gets the same pong as the animal digest on the bad stuff!

4. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Hobbs, I have tried:D. I just worry about his weight about the future. I want to have him with me as long as possible and happy and healthy but the problem is that the wet isnt good either, Gourmet a la cart, applaws and schesir. He has refused anything else. I just wanted atleast one of them to be quality.

Paddy, I´ve tried mixing. He just picks every single grain and leaves what he doesnt like. He knows exactly what he wants. It´s just that he seems much more anxious at meal times, which make me think he is hungry.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Okay, playing devil's advocate now, could he be getting anxious because of the constant food changes?

6. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

No, I mean anxious since he doesn´t have his RC, he used to walk eargerly beside me before when I was going to feed him, now he seems hungry so he hurries me for his food (as he doesn´t eat the orijen). That is what I meant by anxious. He loves the crappy wet food he is getting now. He has settled to it. But well if nothing more can be done...I´ll surrender.

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I don't know what other people think but personally I would give both of you a break. Then in a few months time see whether you can tempt him to eat something else but instead of buying all of the good foods and testing them all on him, decide one you would like him to eat and very very slowly (one spoonful or even less) introduce it. That would be my advice.

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

^^^^^^^^^ what she said!

hobbs2004 likes this.
  9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Phew, not just me then :D

10. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

I assure you both that he isnt being tortured. He is one really happy and spoilt cat:D but the vet in the shelter I volunteer in has adviced he doen't gain more weight and that is why Im trying a better dry food. His wet food is stable now and for some strange reason he loves it. But i'll go back to RC then, I just dont know of more ways of controlling his weight. He is very playfull and active.r

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

But the wet you feed is mostly of the complementary ilk, isn't it? That will not add meat on to your cat. Since he cannot currently be shifted away from that he needs to get his nutrition from dry food and since he is dragging his heels with the orijen you for the moment need to feed him dry food he eats - and that is the RC. What RC are you feeding?

Considering that the wet food he gets is very low fat, have you considered just adding a tiny bit of goosefat, beef fat etc to it? I would also add some taurine powder to his food if the mainstay of his wet diet are the wet food brands you mentioned. Just a thought.

12. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Thanks will ask my vet where to get taurine and the goose fat too. I know the wet arent the best but it is what he likes and Merlin has very clear ideas about his food. I thought Gourmet a la carte was complete? I know not all Shesir are complete but it says compleye in the chiken, chiken and tuna i buy. I dont want to keep changing his food at all. I just want to give him a good one but he wont accept. I give him the RC for BSH as he likes really big kibbles because he actually crunches them. He has refused all the smaller ones. Also in the shelter he was in, they gave him just a bit of wet once a week claiming it isn't good for them:mad:. But he is very attached to his wet lol. Thanks for all the advice.

13. Alaskacat

Alaskacat PetForums Senior

Bless you, you care so much and he's behaving like a spoilt child. I love Hobbs' advise I think it is common sense prevailing. You are stressing about it and he is playing on it probably. I'm sure you are doing all you can but it strikes me the situation is mimicing children with eating issues. It seems the anxiety at meals times is upsetting everyone, I agree, let him have his RC for a while until the feeding stress has eased and then if you are feeling really strong try again.

Remember you are not poisoning him, the RC is a cat food, you just want him to have the best, you are not harming by letting him have RC for a bit before trying again. I'm not a food expert mind you, I just think you have brilliant intentions and are frustrated that puss doesn't share them. You are educated but it looks like it will take time and a lot of work before your boy is.

:)

hobbs2004 likes this.
  14. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

lol he is one stubborn boy but he woudnt be my Merlin if he just accepted without complaints. He can have his RC back:D

15. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Absolutely blooming right! (And lovely post by the way Alaskacat)

Here are the ingredients for the RC BSH:

All right, it has got an unspecified amount of rice and maize but at least it has dehydrated meat as the first ingredient, which is more than some other cat foods.

In terms of the nutrition, I am not quite sure why you think it wouldn't sustain your cat or even make him put on weight.

The analyses are Protein 34%, Fat 22%, Ash 6.3% and Fibre 4.9%.

I don't have the moisture content but assuming it is a standard 8% this means that really the food contains 36.9% protein, fat 23.9% fat, 6.8% ash and 5.3% fibre. Okay, the orijen doesn't contain any grains and it is slightly higher in protein but in terms of the macronutrient analysis the RC isn't that far off the orjen at a dry matter analysis (protein 46.6%, fat 22.2%; 7.7% ash, and 2.8% fibre). Okay, the carb content of the RC is higher (27% at dry matter vs 21% dry matter of the orijen) but there are loads of dry cat foods that are much much higher.

So, you aren't feeding him the best dry food (if such a thing really exists) but you aren't feeding him the worst either.

MCWillow has posted a response from Schesir about their food today; have a look at that thread. Gourmet might be more complete but I think (though the range is vast) the fat is still a tad low.

16. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone, after reading Hobbs last post I dont feel so bad about RC (I dont know why I felt the carbohydrate level was too high). He just worries me as he is an extremely clean cat, always grooming but I haven´t seen him clean his backside once since I got him, he just stops before getting there. So I keep him clean to his chagrin, his passport says he is from Poland and after reading a lot of post I feel he was taken too soon from his mum, especially as he is very flexible raising his legs etc while grooming. So apart from what the vet said as per not getting fatter, I know BSH have that tendency. Anyway I take care of him with pleasure, he is a big bundle of joy. I just got back home and he has eaten a bit of Orijen:D

17. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

Thomas was on RC BSH dry before I got him. He's now on good wet food and just has a little dry in his treat ball (plus it's good go take to shows) but o changed the dry to Applaws. he was fine with the chicken but mow I've got him salmon and chicken and it just makes him runny, no matter how slowly I've taken it. Also he just gulps it whole, at least with the RC he crunched it. I'm contemplating going back to RC BSH just for his treat ball

18. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

lol, I tried a treat roll with Merlin, he just ignored it.

19. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

I do feel for you :) I think Merlin might be related to my Molly :D

I was getting myself so worked up and worried about Molly's eating habits, I'm almost certain she was doing it to wind me up!!

I know Molly doesnt eat the best food, and believe me we have tried almost everything ...... but I decided to not stress about it. I'm still trying to get good food down her, but I think it will be a long drawn out process! It doesnt help that Manny is the total opposite and will eat anything I give him, so makes Molly look worse :)

I'm sure in time they will come round to our way of thinking :)

20. merlin12

merlin12 PetForums VIP

Ah Jenny, we are kindred spirits. I won´t give up knowing someone else is fighting too. I will just not get stressed or worry about obessity and diabetes now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice