Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Expert knowledge on giant breed puppy feeding guide

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mastiffmillie, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Mastiffmillie

Mastiffmillie PetForums Newbie

Hello

We have a DDB 13 week old puppy. This is not our first giant breed although I feel that perhaps we were not quite as knowledgeable about the requirements/growth of a giant breed as we are now.

She wasn't doing well on the chicken based food as her stools were soft and sometimes runny so knowing that mastiffs are quite often allergic to chicken in kibble, I transitioned her onto another protein.

I researched calcium levels and read forum posts etc so decided to put her on Markus Muehle Black Angus Adult.

The calcium % is 1.3, phosphorus 1.1 and fat 10.1

I felt this was right based on what I'd read and I like cold pressed foods having used them before.

However, I continued to research having started her on the new food as I then wasn't sure how much she should be eating as she is a pup and the feeding recommendation on packet is obviously based on an adult.

My head is now spinning as I've read conflicting advice that calcium should be 1%, and that fat content should be higher than the above percentage.

I am now in a right pickle! I will say that her stools are now much more pleasant and her gas has diminished!

So... I am seeking advice from those who have been on this journey before and have an insight about required nutrition.

Thank you in advance!

2. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

3. Mastiffmillie

Mastiffmillie PetForums Newbie

Thank you for reply. Because my adult dog already had Markus Muhke (although not this particular one) so I was hoping to make life easier and also I'd read advice on mastiff specific forums that suggested mastiffs can go straight to adult. However, that then didn't rest easy with me and I found lots of sites which then suggested this is an outdated theory. Therefore this morning I did indeed order the junior version (which I hadn't noticed at first) which seems to tick all the boxes.

Many thanks - I'm all sorted at lasyt and now happy with my choice!

niamh123 and Blackadder like this.
  4. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

If you're happy & she's happy then all is good :)

5. Golu DDB

Golu DDB PetForums Junior

Fwiw, we went through 45 kg of Markus Muhle puppy, and went back to Gentle chicken. Our DDB is doing better on gentle ( although had no real problems with the MM ).

Just gone past 6.5 months, and at 32 Kg he seems to be doing well.

6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice