Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Experiences of repeat matings

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by swarthy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

This is more of a curiosity post atm

Dependent on who I talk to about repeat matings, some say "better the devil you know" - others say they've had better litters the second time around, while others say "just because it worked the first time, doesn't mean it will the next".

I know as you develop and learn, you assimilate information and tend to cherry pick what you feel are the best bits / what works for you - but I would be curious (if anyone is willing to share) to know of people's experiences with repeat matings and how they felt about the outcome.

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I had a repeat matiing. The first litter mainly went to first time "show-ers" and pet owners. 2 pups were made up to champions by 2 yrs old (one belonged to a novice owner/ show-er) and another got his crowning ticket at 3.5 yrs. So we thought we'd repeat the mating for which we had a waiting list of about 30 people lol. One dog got a ticket, but the rest didn't do much at all in comparison to the first litter. 3 pups got their studbook numbers but thats about it. :(

On the other hand, more often than not the litters are of similar quality IME

3. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

well, i have been thinking about that....and will pass at the opportunity

given that my aim is to widen the mix as much as possible it would be stupid from my part to do a repat even though the first litter is exceptional in terms of health and temperament...and the pups (now almost 11 months) are extremely beautiful.

but it all depends on the long terms perspective:
    i.e. if i intend to continue breeding, then a repeat will be out of question...if it will be my last litter then a repeat becomes again a possibility (given the reaons above).

i hope i made any sense...still half asleep

best
    D

4. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

My Skye's mum had a repeat mating, Skye is from the 1st litter. All the pups are competing at agility, the 1st litter is 4 years old and 2 are grade 4 and Skye nearly won out of grade 3 last year, she consistantly gets placed. The 2nd litter are 2.5 years old, 1 has nearly won out of grade 3, 1 has gone to someone just starting out in grade 1, saw him for the 1st time at the weekend and he looked good apart from weaves. All the pups have excellent temperaments. Not sure yet whether Skye will have a repeat mating, but then her 1st litter are only 9 weeks old, so I have plenty of time to think about it and see how this litter turns out!!!

5. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

In a way I dont see why there is a need to repeat mating of the same dogs, IMO if you are striving to improve on any faults, unless you have produced the "perfect dogs" from a breeding with no faults then repeating is probably IMO just going to produce dogs of the same quality with similar faults, so no improvement just my opinion.

Mo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice