UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old and very sound horse is on an expensive joint supplement and one sachet of bute a day.

Speaking to the vet yesterday, I asked him is it worth having him on the supplement now. His answer was to try him on just Bute and if there is a decline, put him on a straight Glucosamine supplement. He felt that he should be ok with just the Bute but wait and see how he goes.

So, my question is, is a basic Glucosamine supplement just as effective as the fancy expensive joint supplements?

What do you feed your horse and where do you buy it. I'm especially interested if anyone was using a fancy one then changed to just Glucosamine.

I'm in the UK, by the way, if anyone suggests where to buy :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 21 year old mare has sacroiliac issues and gets a little stiff in the winter but I will not pay for those expensive products. I feel you are paying for the manufacturing and pretty containers! I buy MSM and Glucosamine from Natural Horse Supplies
I have really good results from it, along with keeping her mobile to help keep the muscles supporting the joints.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi Shell

Thanks for the reply. His expensive one ran out about 3 weeks ago and he's the same but I don't know how long it takes for it to wear off.

My sharer got a bit anxious about taking him off it, so, just for the cold months, I have bought him this which is two thirds the price of the previous one I was getting:

Joint Right Supreme Horse Joint Supplements for supple and healthy joints [] - £22.75 : Glucosamine for Dogs, Glucosamine for Horses, Horse Supplements, Horse Joint Supplements, MSM

Looking at the ingredients, it has a least the same quantities and more on some of the others.

My horse is almost 25 and ridden/worked at least 5 days a week so I can understand my sharer's concerns. I just don't want to spend money on a supplement he's not feeling the benefit of because the bute is doing the same work.

We'll see how he goes on the this new one and may take him off it in the Spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

My 25 yo mare has chronic arthritis in her knee and I am also trying to find a decent supplement for her. She is also on 1 bute a day.

Iv heard about tumeric being quite good and thats really cheap from a supermarket. I might try her on it and see if it helps!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

I've had him on the SNP joint supplement a short while now and he's going really well on it so I'm going to stick to it. It's also a lot cheaper than other well known brands like Cortaflex, Extra flex etc. it's definitely worth trying on your mare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.