Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Exotic Shorthair Sensitivity to Essential Oils, Perfumes etc

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by CharmsCat, Jan 17, 2020.

1. CharmsCat

CharmsCat PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I am preparing my home for a 4-month old exotic shorthair kitten and have been reading several articles on this topic. One of them mentions that cats can be quite sensitive to smell and in particular do not have the enzymes to process certain things such as essential oils and perfume particles / aromas.

I use eucalyptus oil and others frequently for cleaning and scenting our home. I also use tea tree oil to treat human skin infections etc. Could you please advise if this is still OK to do?

Thanks in advance!

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

No. Avoid all 'essential' oils, and 'scenting' your house isn't great for cats & dogs, and people who have asthma.

I find a damp microfibre cloth cleans most things, I use warm water and/or add a drop of washing up liquid or biological laundry liquid if necessary, and polish with a tea towel to get rid of water marks.

The tea towel works best if it's 100% linen. The printed cotton ones don't dry much before they are saturated.

The microfibre cloths go through the washing machine, after a day or two.

Those little sponges with scourer on one side have no place in my home, they are disgusting. Most of my crockery & cutlery goes through the dishwasher and so does the washing up brush.

I have an end-grain wood chopping board and if it needs a clean I put it in the sink and pour boiling water from the kettle on it. I also don't like those antibacterial wipes. If something is clean & dry it's clean enough. If something isn't clean then trying to sterilise it won't work.

Some people like white vinegar for cleaning, I don't like my house smelling like the chip shop. A steam cleaner can be good on floors which aren't carpeted, so can those big oblong mops.

#2 OrientalSlave, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    chillminx likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Excellent advice from OS. :)

I am with you on disliking the smell of white vinegar OS, I have never liked the smell, even when I smelled it in a chip shop, LOL :D

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Congrats on your new kitten, Zotties are adorable cats.

I've never smelt a chip shop smelling of vinegar, only oil and bbq chickens :)

But the vinegar smell dissipates quickly when cleaning.
    I use mostly vinegar, bi-carb soda for cleaning. Vinegar & water for the wood floors.

5. CharmsCat

CharmsCat PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for all your advice, everyone! It’s most helpful and reassuring to have a community behind me as I take the first steps in becoming a new mum to our exotic shorthair! I’m a bit anxious I’ll mess up here and there, and cause the cat to get sick. We’re currently de-planting our home and trying to minimise other things that may be toxic / unhelpful to the kitten.
    Any more tips for a newbie like me?

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice