Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Existing pregnant cat nursing a new cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by louise wright, Jun 11, 2017.

1. louise wright

louise wright PetForums Junior

Hi there just a quick question i have two cats (tabbitha and harry)they are 11months old and we got a new kitten (ariel) acouple of weeks ago and she now 11 weeks old just after we got our new kitten we took the other 2 cats to be sprayed at the vets to find out the female was pregnant so the male was done and we decided to let her have this litter then get her done straight after but i will get to the point i went downstairs yesterday to find the 13week old kitten suckling on tabbitha nipples she has about 3/4weeks left and theres no milk coming out of her nipples yet tabbitha has really taken to ariel and tabbitha is purring when ariel is doing this she has taken her under her wing and treating her like she is one of her own but im abit worried about when tabbitha has her kittens and how tabbitha is going to be with ariel should i separte them or will it be ok im alittle worried if anyone has alittle advice for me i would be very grateful

2. louise wright

This is ariel and tabbitha very cosy together in their cat bed bless them

Attached Files:

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Poor Tabitha, still only a kitten herself and already having babies, bless her.:(

I hope the father of the babies is not Tabitha's brother!? If so there is a risk of birth defects from inbreeding.

Ariel is still wanting to suckle because she was taken from her mother before she was fully weaned. She should have been kept with her mother until she was at least 10 weeks old, but preferably 13 weeks old and not taken away at 8 weeks old.

Once Tabitha's kittens are born you must not allow Ariel to suckle from Tabitha, as it would mean Ariel was taking the milk intended for Tabitha's babies. If Ariel took the milk it could result in one or more of the little babies failing to thrive due to lack of nourishment and they could fade and die. It could mean you having to feed the kittens by hand yourself day and night every two hours. I promise you that would be very hard work and very tiring. :(

Have you prepared a private corner in a quiet room for Tabitha to give birth. Ariel and your other male kitten will need to be kept away from Tabitha all the time until the kittens begin running around. Also take note that the neutered male cat will still be fertile for several weeks after being neutered and Tabitha can get pregnant again straight away as soon as her kittens are born. So another reason to keep the two males away from Tabitha.

Anyway as Tabitha is now only a few weeks from her due date I would definitely keep Ariel away from her, so Ariel is not allowed to get into the habit of suckling from Tabitha.

I hope everything goes well for the birth of the kittens. Tabitha will need you with her 24/7 when she is about to give birth, so you can help her if she needs help. Do you know what to do?

4. louise wright

Hey there
    Hey there thankyou for getting back to me tabbitha and harry are not brother and sister as i checked with the lady we got them off as soon as we new she was pregnant as we was worried about that but that is all ok :)

Ariel we got off a lady on a farm when we got her she said she was nearly ten weeks old but to be honest with u we thought she was a little small for her age but the lady promised me she was nearly 10 weeks

We have already got a cardboard box set up in our spare bedroom for tabbitha and we have spare blankets and everything in place for when she has the kittens as we had harry done last week and tabbitha is not due for about another 3/4weeks the vet said it should be perfect timing and harry wont beable to get tabbitha pregnant again and i will keep an eye on ariel with tabbitha and try and distract her from suckling on tabbitha as i dont want her kittens missing out and i can separte ariel and harry when tabbitha has the kittens in the spareroom i have recieved lots of advise about labour,giving birth,and weening the kittens from the vets they were very helpful

Thankyou for your advise and i will keep an eye on them :)

huckybuck and chillminx like this.
  5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Not unusual. We've had one year olds suckle their pregnant mum.
    We settle the girls in our room a week before due.

Your boy will be fertile for up to 10 weeks, so could well impregnate her again if allowed access.

The kittens will need to be with mum for at least 12 weeks and should be neutered before adoption, you can take them in with mum at the same time, to ensure the breeding cycle stops with this litter.

louise wright likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice