Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Exhibitionists. People who think they know better!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Zaros, May 31, 2010.

1. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Almost two weeks ago we attended an event which was organised for owners of the Sar’.
    Two days ago Oscar, our youngest dog, became ill. He was very lethargic with no appetite and wasn’t interested in his girlfriend in the slightest. At present he has the most distressing cough.
    After calling the organiser it transpired that all the dogs which attended on that day have developed similar problems. Further to this revelation, it was known that a dog, recently recovering from Kennel cough was brought to the event with full acknowledgement of the organiser despite the probability of contagion! :mad: Quite obviously we are very angry about this revelation yet what is more infuriating is the fact that there are those who flagrantly disregard and neglect the welfare of other animals for their own egotistical needs. We have decided that any future events will not be attended by us or our dogs as a direct result of such blatant complacency.
    It now makes us wonder if exhibitions are actually about the dog or simply the case for one-upmanship amongst dog owners. :confused1:
    What are your thoughts?

2. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

That is disgusting! It is well known that KC can be caught at shows and events by pepole taking contagious dogs but to actually have approval of the organisers is terrible. I would be tempted to send them your vets bill along with a letter stating your feelings!

I hope your dogs get better soon. xx

3. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

unfortunately this happens you can protect your own dogs by having the nasal drops 2 weeks before going
    i myself use AINSWORTHS combination nosodes,they cover for kennel cough too
    dont let one irresponsible owner spoil your fun,these events need a good turn out

4. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

What an idiot. Is Oscar ok? Seems like common sense not to bring an infectious dog to a dog show

5. Zaros

Thank you. Although Zara didn't attend because she was coming into season (you see there are some sensible and considerate folks in this world-just not that many as it happens) we are expecting her to contract the virus. We called the Veterinarian and they responded with their usual nonchalance. If it doesn't calm down in a couple of days they'll prescribe antibiotics.

They have their innoculations but apparently they are no guarantee that they won't pick up the virus just as other safeguards fail to live up to their promises according to Veterinarians. As for these events, they're supposed to promote a better awareness of a rare breed which is ironic really when you consider that some of the folks who attended aren't even aware of their own innate stupidity.

Oscar is doing fine for the moment thank you Nicky. He's no worse but, then again, he's no better. Zara shows lots of concern for her play mate despite the fact we can clearly see the cough disturbs her also.
    Common sense? Oh yes I know. A very rare commodity indeed. Less common than the Sar'. Yet some have the strangest notion that they are endowed with more than their fair share! :rolleyes: ;)

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

What a load of idiots. Both the owner and the organisers who allowed the dog in!

This is why I mostly avoid dog gatherings and the like. You never know what your dog is going to catch.

7. Zaros

It would seem the dog has a better reputation than some and can be trusted more than the most! :rolleyes:

'Once bitten' as they say. Pardon the pun. ;)

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

In agility show entries, you sign a declaration saying your dog has had no infectious disease within 3 weeks of the competition, or been in contact with any infected dog also for 3 weeks. If everyone sticks to that, it should work for the safety of all dogs involved. Obviously there could be cases where dogs are infectious but not yet showing symptoms, so the owners don't know until too late that there's a problem.

For the organisers to consent to an infectious dog being anywhere near others is just totally irresponsible.

9. Zaros

But how would you know your dog has not been in contact with another dog that carries a transmittable virus if, say, the owner of that said dog does not inform you or if it's just another dog that wanders up to yours from out of nowhere? It seems there are no guarantees apart from isolating dogs for show an indeterminable period prior to the event. There's still no guarantee people would adhere to the rule. :(
    We also had the added embarrassment of telling very close friends that their dog may be at risk of the virus. They in turn have the unfortunate task of telling friends of theirs! :mad:

If only people realised the implications of what they were about to do then we'd have no need of the word 'inconvenience' :rolleyes:

10. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

When you enter a KC licensed dog show your entry form is also part of a declaration that your dog is free of any infectious disease (to your knowledge obviously). As with everything you have to trust people are honest and responsible enough to be truthful about this. There will always be those, as in everything in life, who will be selfish and have complete disregard for anyone else.

11. Kip

Kip PetForums Junior

12. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Stupid people.:mad:

FYI I don't medicate young dogs who pick up KC as they usually can fight the infection naturally plus builds up a better immunity, but do find putting some liqurice root into water can help their throats or even just a spoon full of kids cough mixture helps. :thumbup:

13. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Can i ask why you think exhibiting dogs is demeaning to them?

We got to champ shows up and down the county and neither of our dogs have contracted anything so far - theres always got to be the one idiot though doesn't there :(. x

14. Kip

Kip PetForums Junior

15. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Well I did go on to say there might be unknown infection. It seems that people do abide by it as far as I can see. I've never seen a dog showing any signs of infection at an agility show, or heard of any cases where there's been a problem. I'm on an agility forum and can't remember any postings about anyone suspecting any dog of carrying anything infectious. I think agility's less vanity-driven than showing, and is populated by nice people.

17. Zaros

We’re not ones who believe in exhibiting dogs to be truthful but we attend these events because we are owners of rare breed giants. The project is designed to promote a better awareness and understanding of the breed opposed to the absolute nonsense circulated via a small number of careless owners and the educational ambiguity of the internet.
    Thank you also for the advice regarding the cough syrup. What a pity the Veterinarian couldn’t offer the same advice? :rolleyes:

I was actually a little concerned with the idea that Oscar would be receiving another course of antibiotics because he has already had two courses since Christmas. First being as a result of corrective hip dysplasia surgery and the second because of an ear infection he picked up whilst playing rabbits and digging some rather impressive burrows that would have sufficed the inmates of Colditz. :rolleyes:
    Thank you also for the advice on the Liquorice root.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice