Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Exercise wheels?

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by Bjarki the Hooli, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Bjarki the Hooli

Bjarki the Hooli PetForums Newbie

Do chins really like exercise wheels?

My boy spends between 1-2 hours running around every day (half of those playing with me, jumping over an obstacle course) but I have been wondering whether he may also need an exercise wheel. I bought him a large flying saucer just to see if he was interested but he does not seem very fond of unstable surfaces. He has a large chewing tube and will only get into it if it is firmly propped with door wedges.

I do not want to invest in a large metal wheel (which, if one is lucky enough to find a good maker, are only available online) and have it gathering dust because my brave little man, whose ancestors must have been more than used to earthquakes, does not like things moving under his feet.

Most small animals seem to love exercise wheels but chins are so peculiar....

2. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

They don't need them and they can cause issues as chins are not made for large amounts of exercise.
    I'd actually be worried yours is out running around for 1-2 hours a day.

Tiggers likes this.
  3. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

20 minutes a few times a week is ample exercise for a chin. They are not high energy animals and can easily overheat.

Arny likes this.
  4. Bjarki the Hooli

Bjarki the Hooli PetForums Newbie

Many thanks for your responses: it gives me great peace of mind to know that I can now happily put the idea of a wheel to rest; I just did not want him to miss out on something that chins enjoy. During the 1-2 hours, he does not run all the time. He has a little bell he rings when he wants out of the cage and then prances around with snoozes in between until I call him to the playroom. For reasons only he knows, I have to call him three times but if after the third call he is not in the playroom it means he is not in the mood. Of course, if he changes his mind, he chitters and hums until I laugh, interrupt whatever I am doing and open the door to the playroom. Wonder if chins know that no one can be heartless or cross enough to say no them.

5. James Holland

James Holland PetForums Newbie

Hi Bjarki,

Unfortunately it can be a trial and error thing. Some chins like mine love them others just don't bother. With proper room temperature management there's no reason a chin can't enjoy an exercise wheel. The best by far are Tic Tac wheels (search google). They aren't always in stock in a 16 inch size but they often are. 16 inches is more than enough for an adult Chinchilla. They are deep at 5 inches and all metal. Chew proof and with cooling benefits. They aren't cheap but they are easily resold for near new value if your chin does not take to it.

6. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa PetForums Member

I was lucky enough to get mine a flying saucer type wheel cheap second hand because they are really expensive new. Good job I didn't pay a lot because they hated it! They wouldn't even try it, they just hopped over it, and after several months of repositioning it, leaving them to adjust to it, trying it in different locations and even holding them on it while stopping it moving so they'd get used to the feel of it, I admitted defeat and sold it for £20:p. I haven't yet tried a normal 'hamster wheel' type as I 'm not entirely convinced they'd like one of those either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice