Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Exciting news!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SusieRainbow, Apr 19, 2019.

1. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

122[/in IMG_20190419_115724.jpg M
    Meet Bobby, he is joining the family next month
    Please excuse the blurry picture, he's not very good at sitting still.;) But he is a lovely calm,friendly boy , 6 yrs old,though Reena wasn't impressed.
    So now I'm panicking, what if they don't get on ? Tips on introductions gratefully received please.

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Awww what a sweet boy! So happy for you all

Kim Watcham and SusieRainbow like this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Awwww he's gorgeous!

So pleased you will be a two dog household again!

Just tell Reena to watch her head on interesting sniffing spots...boys tend to sprinkle on those places and if a girls still sniffing....well I don't have to explain. Or that's just my males and females, or my dogs in general!

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Congratulations on the new addition - he looks adorable :)

SusieRainbow likes this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Apparently his current owner is having some problems with scent marking but Ithink we can manage that with a little help from the vet.;)
    As for the wet-head, Reena always had her nose right up toTango's bum waiting for her place in the queue.

lullabydream likes this.
  6. magpi

magpi PetForums Senior

He looks sweet, sorry haven't any experience of introducing different sexes. Suzie was brought to our house by her owner to meet Belle and they got on fine. We put them in the garden .Hope it works out for you. Fingers crossed

SusieRainbow likes this.
  7. lullabydream

Am not saying you will fix it but I was told Stan wasn't toilet trained. Sounded like he was scent marking to be honest. Before he came home I did the usual mopped the floors with biological washing powder solution, good hoover up as always anyway.
    Not once did I have a problem and he was going from a house with one other dog, to one with 3 others or maybe 4 at the time. Can't quite remember our numbers then!

Occasionally he will we up wee up the back door in torrential rain, so that's in the kitchen. He sticks his head out but doesn't go out! But that's maybe 40:60 ratio mainly he goes out!

I will say, I think Stan must have been in the house 3 hours Jovi stood up and cocked his leg up at the sofa. I was mortified. He's never been bothered by a dog in the house! Didn't do it again and had never scent marked ever. Never a cross word between them though. They had all met in the garden, and Stan had pretty much ignored everyone and they thought ok after a few second sniff we will leave you. It was great to watch.

Just see how Bobby goes he's stunning!

SusieRainbow likes this.
  8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, he's currently living with 3 other entire boys and numerous girls in varying stages of their cycles, so the house is teeming with hormonal aromas. Here he will just have Reena who is spayed from 4 years ago. I think it's just ( !) a matter of breaking the habit with him. I have ordered a couple of belly-bands and a big bottle of Simple Solution meanwhile.

9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Ah Bobby looks lovely. We introduced sox to Loki in the breeders garden. When lily came home we took them to the nearby field for a play.

10. lullabydream

He may calm down. Problem with small dogs, when they scent mark it can be a few drops. I was practically going round on my hands and knees checking everywhere if I nipped to the loo and no one was at home! Or I took Stan upstairs with me.

Which is the same reason people say toy breeds are hard to toilet train as sods law you nip to the loo, they sprinkle and you can be none the wiser so you don't have that reinforcement there. It's more noticeable an accident has happened with a larger breed even my terriers as puppies I could notice accidents but toy breeds not likely, and not likely when scenting if they have been out and already emptied that bladder!

Torin. and SusieRainbow like this.
  11. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Congratulations.

I hope all goes well with introductions.

lullabydream and SusieRainbow like this.
  12. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Oooh I was wondering how you’d got on today, congratulations! He looks lovely, I hope Reena takes well to him.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

First impressions weren't good, she snapped at him when he tried to sniff her and then hid behind OH's back.
    But to be fair we were in a strange house full of barking dogs, so not surprising she was stressed really. I think a couple of walks together will help to break the ice, once Bobby knows his place.

14. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Puzzle (collie) wasn't house trained as such when we got him as he had been an outdoor dog. We had a few marking type wees early on but he got the idea very quickly. Living in a house without lots of other entire dogs and bitches will help no end I'm certain.

15. Cookielabrador

Cookielabrador PetForums Junior

He is absolutely gorgeous - congratulations!! :D I wish I could help but we have never had more than one dog! He looks lovely, I’m sure Reena will get used to him over time! :D

16. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

She was probably quite overwhelmed with it all, hopefully she’ll come round once she’s away from all that hustle & bustle.

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Fingers crossed ! She is quite timid but usually better with other small dogs than that.

Matrod likes this.
  18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

What exciting news! I'm so happy for you!

Definitely do a few walks on neutral ground, don't force anything (but you already know that), let Reena go at her own pace. I suspect they will work things out very well. Boys tend to know to give bitches their space, and if they don't, they learn very quickly :D

19. Raggie08

Raggie08 PetForums Member

Congratulations x

SusieRainbow likes this.
  20. lullabydream

That is so true!

DaisyBluebell and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice