Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Exciting news.. for me..lol

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by momentofmadness, May 9, 2010.

1. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Anyway guys you know I have Chewie Bear, Princess Neeco and Fred.. I know you haven't seen pics of him yet but today I will take the time to upload...

Well On friday the 23rd of April.. Chewie gave birth to 10 babies.. Right before my eyes.... I was very shcoked she had them infront of me.. She wasn't fazed and just seemed to pull them out of herself.. Im shocked she chose to have them sat on the shelf of her cage infront of me...

Anyway she kept abandoning one so I twice used a teaspoon to put it back in its nest (rubbing the spoon in her soiled bedding first)...

Anyway I have 9 left so can only imagine there was something Chewie new about that baby that I didn;t......

I have one the same colour as chewie and 3 that looked like Chewie but there faces are getting an Orange colour to them and the rest looked black. and black and white but it seems I have a tortoiseshell in there and the black is slowly changing..

I have one runt which I would say is a third of the size of the others guys so who knows if it will make it.. But they are all making good progress and Was shocked that they were wandering round at 13 days old without eyes around the cage like they had been there forever, although looking a little drunk in there waddle..lol

Now I am also shocked to find that they are wandering to Chewies Feed store.. Which is a house she stores her food in and chomping away and taking food back to the nest.. I can't beleive how active they are at just 16 days, there eyes are just starting to open but they obviously have a great sense of smell...

Chewie is doing a fantastic job and I am so proud of her.

When they were born I could see everything and you can see there little hearts beating in their chests.. its just amazing...

Right off to upload pics...

the only thing Chewie is unhappy about is I had to move her out of her cage the week before they were due and put her in a smaller cage, but I had double it with another to give her room.. ive had to take the other away so I could use a piece of card and scoop the nest and put it on the floor of her cage. as I was feared a baby would fall through the bars they were that small....

2. momentofmadness

Chewie Bear

[​IMG]

Fred

[​IMG]

babies..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lets not miss out Aunty Princess Neeco...

[​IMG]

Hpe you enjoy

3. lolabloob

lolabloob PetForums Member

awww they are so adorable! i got overexcited and attached some photos of my baby mice :p they are only 6 weeks old!

Attached Files:

4. momentofmadness

I can't see them... boo hoo I dont know whats going on but some pics I can see others I can't..lol i can see all my pics..lol

5. momentofmadness

Ooooh take that back I can see them now.. lol How likkle..lol Very cute but you keep them away from me...lol I need came out the petshop with a herd of them the other day... Killed me walking away..LMAO

6. momentofmadness

I have a satin the same as Arianna..lol His name is Peter..lol

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Omg I want them all, the hamsters the mice all of them, pleeeeeze:D Oh well worth a try, those baby hams are the cutest things Ive ever seen though,how old are they in the picture?

8. momentofmadness

They were taken today so 16 days.... Half have eyes now..... Can you spot the runt and the tort I plan too keep..lol

But I don't know they are changing colour by the day.. They could end up the same colour as dad.. Im so surprised they are chomping on hard food and collecting it and putting it in there pouches.. They are so lively...

9. thedogsmother

Are you keeping them both?

10. momentofmadness

Haha If I let the runt go it wud have to be to a special home that understood she is a runt and sometimes they don't live aslong as the stronger ones in the bunch.

I kept our Bridget cause she was the runt..lol

So any ideas ...lol She has time to catch up but you never know if a runt will...

11. thedogsmother

Both the runts out of my two mouse litters grew as big as their siblings in the end.

12. myzoo

myzoo PetForums Senior

:)ohhh! baby hammies how many did she have they are so cute dont they just grow up so quick my rattie had babies on the 13th-14th april and they started pinching mums food earlier than i would have thought and now their eyes are open they climbing the bars i also had a runt in my litter iam suprised it survived as for the first 2 days it wasnt suckling but now he is catching up i put em in the big cage the other night but one escaped (now named houdini) and the cat almost had him for breakfast i found him on the landing with the cat standing over him licking her lips but luckily there wasnt a scrath on him.are you keeping them all or rehoming some please post pictures as they grow its so interesting to watch congradulations on your new arrivals:)

13. momentofmadness

LOL naughty rat.. hehe I have homes.. But I do worry about the runt Im keeping one if it stays tortoiseshell you can see it in the pics..lol
    They are all out now roaming... lol I put big chunks of carrot and egg mayo in before.. One of Chewie's fave share meals with me..lol she didn't stand a chance once they smelt it.. haha I have put a likkle dish with about a mm of water in and a couple are lapping it.. Was worried about all that dry food and not getting enough fluids..lol Its such a worry.. Still can't get over her having them infront of me on that friday afternoon.....

14. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

Oh MOM that is wonderful news! Congratulations! All so cute. I love my lil Hambomambo to bits. He is so confident, running around with the rabbit and Dobes. I am trying to not think that they have short little lives as I am so so attached to him and he's got a sticky out bum and looks like a 'reduced' honey bear.

Thanks for sharing your pix with us. Love to all your babies

D x

15. momentofmadness

LOL A sticky out bum.. haha

Well come down this morning and they have drank the water and one was sat in it..lol so cleaned it and topped it back up an now it full of food... Pesky little beggars.. If Chewie catches them out the nest she grabs them an puts them back.. her work is nevr ending..lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice