Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Excitement when meeting a dog...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by shibby, Mar 28, 2011.

1. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Our 11 month old is back on lead as his recall went on vacation when he hit adolescence last month. He meets dogs on lead now and if he pulls to get to them we will stand still each time he does so and click/treat when he's walking fine. However, after some meetings, he will try to run and will be excited. We get him to do some tricks and he will calm down but will still be a little excitable. I've read up on it and was just wondering if anyone on here has any other tips for help keeping his excitement levels down? Will it reduce with age?

Thanks...

2. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I know how you feel when Tummels hormones decided to start his recall went too. He used to always pull when he saw another dog i used to just keep his head close in to me when he did so he learnt that pulling results in not meeting the dog. I also used a very dog friendly dog in my parents village who i've know for 10 years as he has no qualms telling a dog when it's going too far and now unless the other dog is also on lead and pulling he won't pull to other dogs, just walks past.

Luckily for me the hormones are currently under control so we enjoy offlead walks for the time being and he is very good at greeting other dogs. He will run up, have a quick sniff and if they're not interested in him he either carries on with his walk or run back to me :) not something i taught him he just does it. If they do want to play he will chase/wrestle until i walk past then he stops and follows me...again not something i taught him to do....he's a strange lad.

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Arw, Tummel sounds lovely :) It's quite hit and miss with us, he'll let dogs walk past and not pay them any attention. Other times we'll stand still if he doesn't stop pulling and it's up to the other dog if it wants to come over to say hello. He gets clicked and treated for remaining calm etc. Today he saw a Pug and the pug made it's way over, walking in a bend and before he reached our guy, our guy lay on his back with his belly in the air :eek: :D Had a good sniff of each other for a few minutes and all was well, until we left the situation and he got over-excited and yanked on his lead. We have no dogs who we can meet up with and our dog thinks he's too OTT so we walk them separately (they don't live together). It's a shame as we'd love for him to have a proper interaction with dogs off lead, but there's nowhere for us to go...

4. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

I can empathise... Baxter turns loon when we meet other dogs :rolleyes:
    He just wants to play but cos of his arthritis he could do without the jumping around...
    I'd love to find something which distracts him, or stops him jumping around, wanting to play - though I understand it's instinct for him.
    xx

5. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I've taken mine back to training classes as he gets over excited, so that I can work on getting his attention in a controlled environment. It's a shame as after a couple of minutes he calms down and is fine.

6. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I hope it's something he'll grow out of, with training of course! :D We will be taking him back to his Bronze class when he's older, probably about 1 1/2-2 years old. He almost completed it but the class went on a hiatus over the Christmas holidays and we decided to take a break. I wish there was a dog social club or something hehe...

7. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Bump :)...

8. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

That's way too long for a stationary greeting, I feel a "few minutes" is expecting too much; if the dogs will hang out together then I much prefer moving a little than standing about.

May be you can try a double clip harness, so a training line can be attached high up reducing leg tangling for games you play with, whilst retaining control with front clip to help during disciplined walking to avoid pulling opportunity whilst over-excited. But I'm not a fan of on leash play with other dogs, when pups try and wrestle as they do, it seems like teaching them to pull and mess about on the lead and the leash prevents other alternative play behaviour like chase games.

Why can't you ask if the other owners of suitable dogs you meet and who greet, mind if you walk along with them for a stretch? They tend to calm down and settle into sniffing about.

I'm a bit confused, about the other dog that he doesn't live with, finding him OTT, can't you use a distance approach and multiple passes, treating both dogs for calmness, with aim of 2 handlers walking 2 calm dogs near, but controlled in same direction eventually?

#8 RobD-BCactive, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  9. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

A couple of minutes if that and they did do some moving about as he had length on his lead. He was calmer after that meeting than a couple of other instances. I'm not a fan of on lead play and we don't encourage it at all. The instance with the pug was like he wanted to go ahead a little (opposite direction of dog), which is what he'd do when off lead. It's not a question of 'can't ask' owners. Of course I can ask other owners but their dogs are off lead and will meet and go on their way. We can walk in their direction which is the same thing (doubt many strangers will lead up their dogs for me), but he is mostly calm when meeting dogs, he will sniff and do his own thing. He just had the odd dog meeting where he gets a little over excited (usually when the other dog wants to play), which is understandable for his age. So we can walk along these dogs and owners and he's fine.

What's confusing? He doesn't appreciate physical play and the pup is still immature, it's less stressful for the dogs to be separate, our eldest is not the dog to teach him. It also helps to walk them separately to work on training. When we've worked on the few excitement issues we will try them again, until then, they're staying on separate walks :)

10. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

What I was thinking, was if you're using a long line and training, then breaking things up with some games can help, if you are having to leash due to recall issues it allows more natural exercise than close on leash walking all the time, that was all. I personally do do occasional recall practice with line, and partly reward by unleashing for example for revision.

I think it's clearer now about the other dog, now you've explained the training situation.

11. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I see what you mean! I thought you meant with other dogs :confused: Thanks. Yes, we do do that with us as there is the odd empty field and we'll have a play and practice recall games. His recall is 90% but we're not going to take the risk, especially with small dogs about, he has no ill-intention but weighs about 17kgs! I'd love for him to go on walks with our dog but it would set them both back, so hopefully once we brush up on the youngest's manners, we can walk them together :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice