Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Excited :D

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Saria, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Saria

Saria PetForums Member

I'm bringing home two Siamese dumbo babies tomorrow :D
    I'm going to introduce them to my two 6 month old boys, I've never had to do an introduction before though, so what's the best way to go about doing it?
    I've got a spare cage set up ready for them to go in, will it be okay to start the introductions more or less straight away? I'm just worried about the size difference :(
    Also, where is the best place to introduce them to each other?
    How long do intros usually take etc.
    Basically, I need to know everything :p

2. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

How old are the babies? If they're really tiny then I'd be tempted to hold off intro's until they've grown a bit. If they're well fed breeder babies then you'll probably be fine to just get on with it.

How big is your spare cage? I wouldn't want to use anything bigger then a small hamster cage for intro's. This is because if they're in a big cage they can hide from each other and make intro's drag on for ages.

The best place to do into's in on neutral ground. In the bath tub is a good place because most rats don't go in the bath very often. You put the babies in first then add the older rats. Just keep an eye on them. A bit of screaming, chasing around and fluffed up fur is normal. The big boys will want to put the little ones in there place, so there will be a lot of pinning and power grooming going on. If there is blood drawn then you should stop intro's. By blood being drawn, I don't mean a scratch from an over enthusiastic rat, I mean proper aggressive bites.

When they're getting on together in the bath you can start putting them in the cage. Make sure it is totally empty apart from 2 water bottles and a couple of bowls of food. If you scatter feed then that is even better. You don't want to put in anything they could argue over such as hammocks or igloos. When they're getting on in the cage you can add a piece of cage furniture. If they're still getting on after a day or 2 then you can add someting else. If at any point they start bickering then you can go back a stage.

Intro's with my girls usually take less then a week from new rat being added to living in the big cage. You have males, so it may take longer. You may need to keep an eye on the big boys as they could be getting to the stage where they get all hormonal. If they consitantly bully the younger rats then I would consider having them neutered.

3. Icky

Icky PetForums Junior

Pretty much what was said above.
    Only thing i can say as well is don't do introductions right away as well as they need to settle to the change + i always ''quarantine'' them for a few days as well even if from a reputable breeder just to ensure the little guys are ok.

Hope you have fun with your babies :)

Though of names ?:p

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

With my lot Ive always done it in the bath (the intros that is;)) and always provided a big dish of something smelly like tuna, that way they climb all over it and they end up all smelling of tuna. Ive only once had a problem with intros and that was with adult intros and a very hormonal boy who has since had to be neutered. Try not to worry too much about squeaking and tiffs as long as they arent injuring each other. And most importantly dont forget the piccies:D.

5. Icky

Icky PetForums Junior

I also want to ask on a semi-related question which may help Saria

I have two males (One is 13 months the other is 3 months)
    I did all the introductions in the bath, cleaning the cage, using smelly food and everything was fine, apart from the older one having a bit of a go at the younger one, but the other week the older one attacked the younger one and damn near ripped his tail off and they now HATE each other.

So i re-did the entire introduction process and still no luck.

I'm considering getting him neutered, but will this solve it or not :S
    I'm worried that the situation will just be the same :(

6. thedogsmother

Neutering changed Bitsy so much, he was constantly on edge and starting fights with everyone in the cage, when I tried an new intro he went for Rudi and cut him badly, if I hadnt been there if could have been much worse. Hes so much more relaxed and happy now.

7. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

Neutering will most likely solve your problem. For some reason male rats often turn into hormonal grease balls sometime between the ages of 6 and 14 months. You can go down the 'wait and see' route, or you can just have him neutered. I think I'd have him neutered and be done with it as having loads of hormones rushing round his system is going to make him feel uptight and unhappy.

8. Icky

Icky PetForums Junior

Yeah i thought that but he is a sly bugger, He's dead laid back and relaxed not fussed with him at all, acting normal, then kicks his a*se when i leave :(

9. Icky

Icky PetForums Junior

I will ring around 2moro ofc, but while it's late and i can't at the mo,

Any1 have any ideas on average Prices for Snipping of Male Rats? x

10. thedogsmother

It was £60 to have Bitsy done about a year ago, make sure you get a vet who has done plenty of them and is confident though.

11. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

I've seen prices between £35 and £120 quoted for having a male rat neutered. I'd speak to the vet that's doing it and ask them if they've ever done a rat neuter before. If memory serves me correctly then it's different to a dog or cat neuter.

12. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

TDM you type too quickly ;)

13. Icky

Icky PetForums Junior

Yeah i did ask a Vets a while back and she went
    ''A rat? Oh we've never done one of those before''
    ....Yeaaaaahhh, I'm gonna not bother then thanks.

Thanks for the help though guys and sorry for stealing your forum Saria!

Hope your babies settle well :)

14. spoiled_rat

spoiled_rat PetForums Senior

A few days is pretty pointless to be honest.

15. Icky

Icky PetForums Junior

better than nothing then all your rats getting sick

16. thedogsmother

I have always left newbies for a few weeks but I was told recently that unless they are kept in a different air supply to your resident rats then there is no point quarantining, as most people dont have a seperate building to keep newbies in that wouldnt be possible, what are your views on that SR?

17. spoiled_rat

spoiled_rat PetForums Senior

Well technically (and speaking from personal experience) it's about as good as nothing, but there you go.

That's correct, unless you have a totally separate airspace...a few days/weeks of quarantine in a different room, doesn't really do much.

Saying that...even taking the recommended precautions...you can still catch things sadly, and having lost over 30 rats in 2 separate bouts of SDAV in the past 3 years.....it sucks, and every rat is a risk.

18. Saria

Saria PetForums Member

Unfortunately, I was unable to go and collect them today :( Hopefully tomorrow though :D

My main problem is that we don't have a bath! It's a walk in shower room, would it be okay to clear the floor in there and just introduce them on the floor? Or should I find some sort of tub to do it in instead?
    Everything else is sorted though, been over the shop and got tuna :) Am I right in thinking that Vanilla essence is a good way to cover up different smells as well?
    I know that they are healthy as they were all vet checked last friday so there's no problems there :)

And no, I haven't thought of names.. Any ideas? :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice