Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Excited Car Rides

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Kyla Joy, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Kyla Joy

Kyla Joy PetForums Newbie

I have a 10 month female Weimaraner. I drive a SUV and she stays in the very back with a gate to keep her in the back to not jump into the back seats. When I start driving she starts squeaking and crying, due to excitement, she know where she is going, usually to the park or beach for a walk, and can lead to excessive pacing and may bark if she gets worked up enough. It's distracting as a driver. I have tried music, no music, windows up, windows down. A water spray bottle and a ultra sonic sound device. None of it has worked. I don't drive away until she is sitting and is calm, and don't get out of the car until she is sitting and calm but from A to B is sometimes a nightmare. I can't reach her and vocal demands do nothing because she knows I can't get to her. If i'm missing something or haven't tried anything else that would work please let me know.

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

It's a very common problem....LOL I have four very high drive collies who would send me nuts if they bounced about and barked on the way to shows, plus it would be dangerous. They are taught from a fairly early age a very solid sit and down stay including with distractions and in a variety of places. When they are in my vehicle they are told to lie down and they know they are to remain in the down until we reach our destination. Apart from anything else they would be too tired to concentrate on obedience or agility competitions if they had been pacing, bouncing and barking for journeys of up to 3 hours.

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Do you have children? Have they ever got excited - maybe even over excited about a trip to the zoo, a party, Christmas ? If so, how did you punish them? Because essentially, that's what these devices do to your dog.

Instead of punishing her, I do have a suggestion that you don't seem to have tried. I would put her in the car, drive 100 meters down the road, turn and come home. Do that about 10 times in a day. The next day, push it up to 150m (but if she is still excited, drop back to the 100m) and repeat. It may take some time, perhaps weeks, using very gradual increases in distance but it might help take the edge off her overexcitement when she learns all car rides don't mean an exciting walk.

niamh123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice