Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Excitable dogs and pulling...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by goodvic2, Jan 19, 2012.

1. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Do you think there is a link between naturally excitable, fun loving dogs and pulling?

My two greek rescues have never been taught to heel, and walk perfectly. They are both shy, reserved dogs and not particuarly excited to go out.

Whereas my staffy x is the opposite. He is a big bundle of fun who absolutely loves his walks. And he pulls like a trooper!

So is there a link between the two?

What do you think

2. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Yes :) :D:D: :)

#2 Lexiedhb, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No.

I have an exciteable bully breed, and he walks, and has always walked, beautifully on the lead.

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I'm not sure. Both my dogs get very excited to go out but only one pulls.

Toby is great on the lead & will walk nicely but Roxy ....... :rolleyes: When she has calmed down from the inital excitement then I can get her to walk to heel (it has taken forever!!) & she can even do this off lead now.

But .... if there is another dog ahead or anything else that excites her then forget it, she pulls like a steam train! She even does these little jumps forward which is so annoying. We will be forever practising 'walking nicely' along with everything else!! :D

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Not too sure. Some excitable dogs may not have the concentration to learn to heel, however I'm sure its possible to someway to train them.

But for the majority of dogs, they are not trained that well at all, and excitable dogs who are naturally harder to train (due to focus) are more likely to pull, because the owner gave up with training.

6. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

See my dog will walk to heel- as he has been trained to do so- ON HIS OWN. Around other dogs forget it- excitement level is through the roof- also he is always on a lead pretty much and think it unfair for him to have to spend the whole time glued to my leg.

7. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Harvey will start off pulling like mad, but after a few corrections and being told to walk "with me" he comes back and will walk by my side...

for about 3 steps and then starts again...:rolleyes:

its work in progress!!!

8. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

I've just ordered a thundershirt to see it he helps my cocker, he's nervous and excitable and will bark at other dogs on a lead, just hoping it helps him.

9. mama_abz

mama_abz PetForums Member

Rocky pulls like a frieght train constantly!! ive tried all the tools on the market to help stop him from pulling and am constantly training him to no avail, but im not gunna give up!

He is currently walked on a halti head harness and has figured out that his neck is stronger than it is and so as you can imagine it no longer works!

If anyone has found a way that works please share as at this point i am willing to try anything!

10. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

Yes and No! An excitable dog is more likely to pull on the lead than a calm dog because he wants to get there quicker and can therefore be harder to train out of the habit.
    But pulling on the lead is primarily a training issue.

11. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I used a gentle leader and the stop/turn round every time the lead is taut. Yes it sometimes took me 40 mins to do a 5 min walk but it is the ONLY way- consistency. Mine still pulls more with my OH because he allows him to.

12. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Most definitely.

I have a very excitable dog who finds it very hard to control his enthusiasm at times. He's nearly 5 and i've never mastered walking on a loose lead. I just dont think he has the self control to get the hang of it. But my problem is we rarely do lead walks so my motivation for training Flynn not to pull has been low so it is partly a training issue that I would have to work hard at to resolve.

My other 2, more level headed dogs dont pull on a lead at all.

13. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

I think this is the case. My dog is exuberant ALL THE TIME. He gets excited when I get my arse off the sofa to make a cup of tea. :p His pulling took me the best part of 2 years to really tackle but he walks very nicely to heel now.

14. mama_abz

I have tried the stop/turn when he pulls and he just pulls in the opposite direction!
    I will look into the gentle leader tho as that is something i have not yet tried.

I sometimes think he will only stop pulling when he is too old to pull anymore. :rolleyes:

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No chance! My boy is 13, with just 3 legs and he stills pulls like a train.

Funnily enough, it takes about 48 hours to train a dog to pull, and months and months (if not years) to train them not to.

16. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

then stop again, wait, yes you are going to be dizzy, yes it is tedious and boring as hell, but if you ever give in they win and continue to pull. Literally i spent alot of time not moving more than 1 metre in either direction, Dex was like a TANK- on a mission. I even got to the point of taking him back inside if he pulled my down the driveway, waiting ten mins then going out again. You have to get it through to them that they go NOWHERE on a taut lead.

17. mama_abz

i will give it another go and keep at it this time then and fingers crossed!!

great im screwed then. :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice