Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Excessive peeing

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by HumpyD, Apr 15, 2011.

1. HumpyD

HumpyD PetForums Newbie

For the past day or so our 4 year old indoor male cat has been peeing maybe 3 or 4 times in very short succession, maybe 20 minutes. The first pee is a normal amount but the others are barely dribbles.

Afterwards he drags his 'lower regions' along the floor which I'm presuming is because he has an irritation down there.

We are going to keep an eye on him for the next day or 2 and if it continues we'll take him to the vet but just wondered whether anyone has experienced anything similar and if so what it turned out to be.

Thanks.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Personally, I would take him to the vet today. It could be that he has cystitis, which is not only painful but can be dangerous in male cats depending on the cause (crystals vs. bacterial) but he could also be constipated, which again is very painful.

Also, if you wait for another 1 to 2 days that potentially takes you into Sunday and the realm of an emergency vet (more expensive) so you might end up waiting until Monday - another day, which could all be bad news for your boy.

So better safe than sorry and take him today. Let us know how you got on at the vets.

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Please take him to the vets today x

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Seconded!
    He will be in SO much discomfort right now, and there is even the threat that he might block up completely and be in danger of a burst bladder! This kind of thing just wont go away on it's own

5. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Definitely the vets asap. A UTI is very painful and uncomfortable and can get very bad very quickly.

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As above ^^^

7. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Please don't leave him another 2 days, in extreme cases cystitis can be fatal in males if left, is it better to sort it out asap

8. Paddy Paws

Paddy Paws PetForums Member

You really must take your cat to the vets straight away. If there is any 'sand' in his bladder causing cystitis it is not unusual for some to block him completely causing life threatening illness.

9. HumpyD

HumpyD PetForums Newbie

Morning all. Just wanted to give you an update.

We took him to the vet a week ago where he was examined and given a couple of antibiotic injections. I had to take a urine sample from him which is easier said than done but managed to do it. This showed a trace of blood but nothing else so the vet doesn't think it's crystals. They think it's just an infection which we are too.

I have to provide the vet with another urine sample next week.

The cat seemed a lot happier this week, back to usual toilet habits although this morning he seemed a bit subdued but we are putting that down to us going back to work so he'll be 'home alone' today!!

I'll keep people updated but thanks for the advice and good wishes. They are much appreciated.

10. Louise Marsh

Louise Marsh PetForums Member

Hi, I have a disabled male cat who gets UTI quite often. I have been prescribed with cranberry tablets ( same as we humans use ) lol. These really work well and if he wont swollow it hole, try disolving it in warm water first.

Hope this helps and he gets better soon :)

11. Lottiecat

Lottiecat PetForums Member

Glad to hear he is better, but that the vet is checking his urine again. If he hasn't got crystals, it may have been cystitis (only a small percentage with these symptons are an infection) which can reoccur so just keep an eye on any changes or wetting in unusual places in the house in the future.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice