Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Excessive licking.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by catz4m8z, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:24 PM.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Anybody else have a problem with their dog doing this?

Adam has always been a PITA for licking alot, esp things made out of metal like his crate or bowls. Its just this year he has developed alot of anxiety around his crate as well and Im wondering if maybe it could even be neurological (recently discovered that some of what he does could look like partial seizures).
    TBH it even seems like 2 seperate problems! Firstly when he licks metal things it seems more like a compulsive or self soothing thing (he will often pick a food bowl up from the kitchen and take it to the living room to lick so obviously its a planned action), other times he just licks the air and that seems more like an involuntary thing kinda like he has a bad taste in his mouth (he does burp sometimes with it too).

His teeth look fine and Im going to try him on some breath fresheners and over the counter anti anxiety meds to see if it makes a difference for now. If it doesnt then obviously it will be a vet visit (not looking forward to that both because of difficulties with lockdown and my vets being utterly useless). But just wondering if anybody else had experienced anything similar?

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Do you think he might have acid reflux when he does the air licking and burps

Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

When Elliot was sick a lot as a puppy (before I figured out his intolerances) he lip licked a lot, so reflux/feeling sick is a possibility for Adam I think. Kenzie does this at night time too after her last meal which I have been considering talking to the vet about, but seems strange that she doesn't do it any other time.

The metal thing's interesting though. Maybe 2 different things? Could you ask the vet if you could try Omeprazole or Losec - they might prescribe over the phone?

With the crate thing, have you tried a soft crate instead?

Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I might look into that. It def could be abit of reflux, I think Im going to see if there is any result from the anti anxiety meds first though. Thought about trying a soft crate but TBH he seems to have developed anxiety around being crated so Im worried that he would still be just as anxious (tried not crating as well but he then he is alone and he doesnt like that either!:rolleyes:).
    As he is going to be 13 this year both him and Hannah already have yearly OAP health checks so he's generally in good health....just not sure why his anxiety seems to have gone up so much this year.:(

kimthecat likes this.
  5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

could get have hearing/sight issues? Might not be picked up at a normal vet check?

I’m fairly sure Kenzie has developed some hearing loss and with it she’s become more clingy.

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  6. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

He might have a deficiency in iron or be anaemic. That often causes cravings for non food items. That could also explain why he no longer likes his crate, as if unwell he will be feeling unsettled and anxious.

Maybe some blood tests would be a good idea.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack has become more clingy with me - if I go upstairs for more than a couple of minutes, he’ll come up - or vice versa.

He’s also more sensitive to noise.

@catz4m8z have you tried an open, covered crate in a safe room with a baby gate?

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

He does have blood tests with his yearly health check and it always seems to come back fine. Im half convinced its all in his head TBH! He may be obsessive about metal now but when he was a puppy he had a weird obsession with eating rubber, its like he gets fixated on something sometimes.

Tried a covered and uncovered crate, also tried popping him in a separate room (this seems to work best when he is stressed but I dont like doing that as he is on his own). Sadly I dont have a hallway so I dont have a seperate room where I could put up a gate.

I feel like this years New Year resolution is going to be 'work out what Adams problem is!'.:rolleyes:

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice