UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a dog that randomly licks for no apparent reason?:confused:
Adam does this and Ive always wondered if it means anything health wise. He will be sitting comfortably and then just start licking his lips and the air with his head stuck out. You can interrupt him for a second but then he has to keep licking and he does it for a minute or so at a time.
Ive checked Youtube and it def isnt fly biting. The closest is a clip of a JRT called 'OCD licking'.
Does it sound like I should be worried or is it just a strange quirk??

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Just looked at that link, curios because Heidi does a strange licking thing.

Hers is v similar without her tongue protruding so far,more like "tasting" than licking. It always concerns me when she does it. Originally it heralded a bout of colitis so whenever she does it I'm thinking "upset tum".

Thankfully she doesnt do it v often nowadays and if she does it seldom gets as far as colitis. I'd prefer she didnt do it at all.

Gosh they keep us on our toes:nono:

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
Alfie only does it if something is stuck somewhere in his mouth. He's done it more since he had a tooth out because it has ruined some of the control he had :)

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Pippa licks us all the time, I wondered if there was a reason why, I was going to post a thread but forgot, maybe someone could answer why? Someone suggested maybe she is lacking salt or something in her diet.

·
Registered
23,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes Adam stretches his head out and licks really far out too. It looks like someone is holding him away from an invisible ice cream cone!LOL:D
Glad Im not the only one whose dog does this then!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.