Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Excessive licking?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by catz4m8z, Nov 1, 2012.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Does anyone have a dog that randomly licks for no apparent reason?:confused:
    Adam does this and Ive always wondered if it means anything health wise. He will be sitting comfortably and then just start licking his lips and the air with his head stuck out. You can interrupt him for a second but then he has to keep licking and he does it for a minute or so at a time.
    Ive checked Youtube and it def isnt fly biting. The closest is a clip of a JRT called 'OCD licking'.
    Does it sound like I should be worried or is it just a strange quirk??

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Just looked at that link, curios because Heidi does a strange licking thing.

Hers is v similar without her tongue protruding so far,more like "tasting" than licking. It always concerns me when she does it. Originally it heralded a bout of colitis so whenever she does it I'm thinking "upset tum".

Thankfully she doesnt do it v often nowadays and if she does it seldom gets as far as colitis. I'd prefer she didnt do it at all.

Gosh they keep us on our toes:nono:

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Alfie only does it if something is stuck somewhere in his mouth. He's done it more since he had a tooth out because it has ruined some of the control he had :)

4. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Pippa licks us all the time, I wondered if there was a reason why, I was going to post a thread but forgot, maybe someone could answer why? Someone suggested maybe she is lacking salt or something in her diet.

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Sometimes Adam stretches his head out and licks really far out too. It looks like someone is holding him away from an invisible ice cream cone!LOL:D
    Glad Im not the only one whose dog does this then!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice