Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

excessive/early panting/tiredness

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dougal, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Dougal

Dougal PetForums Member

In the last few days since it's turned warmer, Dougal has started to pant heavily almost as soon as he goes out the door. It's about 15c in London today - sunny - but not too bad. I just took him to the park and he was totally knackered after about 15 minutes and we had to come back. He actually kept lying down in the park.

His coat is quite thick, so that could be one problem (going to be groomed tomorrow). He's only 20 months old, so I'm not sure he should be like this.

Any ideas, or just a trip to the vet? He had a stomach problem a few weeks ago and was on anti-biotics, although that has cleared up, so not sure that is anything to do with it.

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

even with a heavy coat a young dog like that shouldnt be tiring so quickly imo, i'd pop him along to the vets and get him checked over just to be on the safe side:)

3. tinysarah

tinysarah PetForums Member

Oh my god, conan my 9 month old GSD/doberrman cross is exacty the same- we've cut his walk time down, still going out early in the morning 6;30 as it's cooler and later in the evening but he's laying down after 20 mins panting like an old man. Part of me thinks maybe we should take him to the vets but then part of me
    thinks maybe it's just the change in wether. He's drinking the same
    as he normally does but I've put 2 bowls out for him when I'm not there, and he hasn't got a thick coat at all.

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I'd have his thyroid levels checked by a blood test just in case. Marty has hyporthyroidism and he was extremely lethargic, panting for ages after a walk and started putting on weight. He was sleeping most of the time too. After the diagnosis he now has Soloxine three times a day to bring his levels back up and is right as rain. Hyporthyroidism doesn't just affect older dogs either and it's a simple blood test, so i'd have one done if I were you. ;)

5. Dougal

Dougal PetForums Member

thanks for the replies. I think a trip to the vet will probably be the best thing to do just in case.

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Lets know what happens and I hope it all turns out to be okay. The one good thing about hypothyroidism is it's an illness that's easily treated, of course it's best if it isn't any illness but if it should turn out to be this one it won't affect your dog too badly once medication has started. Marty is now just as he was before he developed it and it is a disease Mals are prone to anyway.

Good luck. :)

7. Will@GowerVets

Will@GowerVets PetForums Newbie

Vets is the answer here. Could be any number of things, possibly thyroid but alot of other things would be far more common at that age.

Lungworm, heart dz etc etc.

Good luck at the vets.

Will

#7 Will@GowerVets, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  8. shelleycarmen

shelleycarmen PetForums Newbie

Hi Dougal and Tinysarah - how are both your dogs getting on with their excessive panting? Hope they're doing ok?

My 8 month old pointer pup is exactly the same and like you, we're debating whether to take her to the vet. I'm inclined to think she's overheating as she doesn't pant at all when we're on the beach and she's in and out of the water. She also only started panting after she was spayed at 6 months and we did ask the vet and our breeder about it nearer the time - both reassured us it was a normal part of the recovery process, but 3 months on and she still gets tired really quickly and sometimes pants with very fast shallow breaths for about 15 minutes after we're home from a walk...she's healthy in every other respect. If this sounds familiar to you, please let me know! Could this be a thyroid problem?

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice