Ex stud cats

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by puddyandcolby, Feb 11, 2018.

1. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

As a mod not a breeder I am asking that this thread is not turned into an argument regarding the money in breeding.

2. GPTC

GPTC PetForums Member

Oh my heart bleeds for your aching wallet. I have those costs and more for the deserving moggies in my rescue. And they were not bred for profit.

3. GPTC

GPTC PetForums Member

Understood. I will decease.

puddyandcolby and lymorelynn like this.
  4. puddyandcolby

puddyandcolby PetForums Junior

Oh come on. Thats just silly. Theres nthg wrong with pedigree cats. I have 3 almost 4 and love them . that wasnt a post about it ! I just wanted to know what breeders do, what they think

spotty cats and Rufus15 like this.
  5. GPTC

GPTC PetForums Member

I love them too. All of them. And i know Jesthar loves them too.

Breeding is an emotional subject.

puddyandcolby likes this.
  6. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

You read me wrong. I am no breeder, and I have two moggies - one rehome, one rescue. I also support a small private cat rescue that takes in many cats the bigger rescues would reject or PTS - right now I have a shawl I crocheted being raffled off by them in memoriam of a rescue kitten who didn't make it. I dislike BYBs intensely.

I just also have the priviledge of also knowing many good and ethical breeders who are in it for the love of their breed and do it right - and at a loss. It would be most unfair to lump those in with profiteer breeders. That's all. :)

Rufus15 likes this.
  7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Dear me, I know @lymorelynn is a fearsome adversary but there is no need for that unless you mean desist!

ribbon, NFC slave, Jansheff and 7 others like this.
  8. GPTC

GPTC PetForums Member

Yeah... it just didn't sound right, did it?

Some googling confirmed that!!

Please consider me desist'ed!

ribbon, AmsMam, chillminx and 2 others like this.
  9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Would very much depend on the cat, hopefully the breeder will be there to guide you and wouldn’t be placing him with you if not suitable.

My boys live inside and are never alone, having kittens & other cats for company so settle in well to retirement with a kitten for company.

Introducing adults tends to be more difficult than adults to kitten, BSH tend to be easy going so you may find it all goes smoothly.

puddyandcolby and Rufus15 like this.
  10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

I recently went through my breeding accounts. Without vet bills I have made about £30 per kitten, which means each kitten has cost me.

puddyandcolby likes this.
  11. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

@GPTC I would strongly, strongly advise you contact a breeder through one of the pedigree cat clubs, one of the committee members I imagine would help, and discuss with them what is actually involved in ethical breeding, rather than tarring all breeders with the same byb brush.

#31 Rufus15, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  12. lymorelynn

Staff Member

@GPTC has desisted in his remarks about the money earned in pedigree breeding. I would be obliged if others did the same please.

PetloverJo and chillminx like this.
  13. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I tend to feel ‘rehoming’ ie getting rid of breeding cats after they are no longer useful is akin to people who get rid of cats because they are having a baby, or for whatever reason do not want them anymore. It is about convenience not what is best for the cat. The reasons given are often excuses and not necessary.

You can say ‘ethical breeding’ but in my view that is not ethical.
    If you look at it as a business and the cats are stock then yes it makes sense but to say oh these are pets and then pass them on when their time of breeding is up is not in my view ethical.

Breeders presenting one view that these are loved pets but then doing the opposite moving them on when they are not needed. If the average person did this they would be lambasted as a bad pet owners.
    Pets are supposed to be for life.

Despite the spin put on it is all down to moving stock to make way for fresher stock. If we look at it as similar to a cattle farm then it makes sense, but that is not the image often presented to the public.

I am not anti breeding and some breeds I quite like and would not mind having. Though, I think if it is a lemon call it a lemon if it is a pear call it a pear. To me getting rid of pets is different than getting rid of livestock bred for sale or breeding stock that one can no longer use. You are either a breeder who puts breeding first or a pet owner who breeds and then stops when reaching over capacity with cats who are pets foremost.

PetloverJo and QOTN like this.
  14. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

You are anti breeding. Breeding demands realism about what is best for a cat, and if being rehomed is best that is what should be done. I have had to rehome two cats because they were being bullied. I very much wish I still have my first girl as she was a great mother but since her daughter started attacking her it was clearly not in her best interests to stay with me. I could have rehomed the daughter instead, but one or the other had to have a new home.

In my view there are far too many breeders who are 'mad cat people' and have far too many cats because they won't rehome whatever the circumstances.

15. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I think @Summercat meant she was not anti all pedigree cat breeds. Her post was referring to certain breeding practices. Frankly I would not have wanted to breed on from a girl who was very aggressive. Surely temperament must be the priority in choice of cats for breeding since most of the offspring are destined to be pets. Like many other breeders I learned that the hard way although I was fortunate that I only had to breed out timidity. I used a certain very popular stud when I was starting out without realising the kittens would have problems. It never occurred to me to choose one of the nervous ones for breeding.

chillminx and Summercat like this.
  16. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@OrientalSlave

Either they are stock or they are your pets. If they are stock be upfront and don’t pretend these are pets. Rehoming is getting rid of, just phrased in a nicer way such as preowned cars for used cars.

I think one needs to know where to stop. I certainly would not recommend if you are breeding cats, keeping a too large amount in your home. I would recommend stopping when you have reached a comfortable limit for yourself and the cats.

There is no need to keep on breeding once your pets are at a level more pets would likely be too many.

Please don’t tell me what my views are. I know what they are. I am not anti breeding of cats but some types of breeding where the breed stock is seen as disposable I do disagree with. In particular when it is presented as ethical and homey.

17. lymorelynn

Staff Member

As I said in an earlier post, this is a contentious issue even between breeders. Just remember to keep disagreements civil please.

StormyThai likes this.
  18. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Would you prefer then that a home is overrun by cats and they don't get the space and attention they require?

19. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Are you suggesting there are only two options?

chillminx and Summercat like this.
  20. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I know this is Cat Forum ,but I have 2 retired breeding bitches ,both had just 2 litters with their second litters involving C Sections. The breeder decided that after a section they shouldn't be bred again although the younger one produced a girl who has done exceptionally well in the show ring including Crufts.
    She offered me Reena as a gift because she felt she would be happier in a smaller dog community and keeps in close contact, always happy to advise and support. She has kept several older dogs including Reena's father so it's not a case of making room for the pups.
    I firmly believe many breeders, of cats and dogs, have the same philosophy regarding rehoming , some pets are happier in smaller groups. Reena has certainly thrived on not having to compete so much for attention.