UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I'm sorry, I find that slightly annoying. Yes, it's very sad that a person's dog has died, but I'd say his labrador lived to quite a good age anyway. Who's to say that it was his breeding that caused the epilepsy?

It seems the reporter has latched onto the Crufts thing in a way that has nothing to do with the story. What would be worse would be everyone starting to indiscriminately cross breed dogs with no health checks because they think that would be healthier.

Also, did I really read he paid £1500 pounds 12 years ago for that lab? Hopefully that's a misprint, or he was really chasing some great pedigree himself.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Slightly misleading title.

I was under the impression his father Bruce Fogle was the vet, with Ben being little more than a TV presenter.
Yes, Bruce is the vet, Ben is the reality show celeb and TV presenter.

My goodness, just went back and re-read the bit about £1,500!
LOl, my typo I knew that :) I meant to put presenter. Is there anyway to change the thread title?

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
It's never going to be a great piece when the dog's gender changes part way through :rolleyes:

"she helped me find a job and a wife"

"the Labardor’s illness was ‘pretty much unquestionably’ down to his pedigree breeding."

Unless they mean the labrador's illness was down to Ben's pedigree breeding:smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Sorry didnt see him complaining when he was being paid for presenting crufts in my eyes its called jumping on the band wagon , the average lifespan for a
Labrador Retrievers is 10-12 years old, though some are fortunate enough to reach 13 or 14
plus there are two types of epilepsy in labs
Idiopathic Epilepsy

"Idiopathic" means of unknown cause. With this form, seizures usually begin when the dog is between ages one and five. It can affect many different breeds, but is common in Labs.

Atypical Epilepsy

Another form of epilepsy that has been documented in Labs is atypical epilepsy. This form is almost exclusive in Labs. It closely resembles another disorder called exercise-induced collapse, but it usually occurs without warning and the Lab recovers quickly

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
We can all have our eyes opened though can't we leoti ;)

Not that I am saying that's what happened, I am as cynical as the next person, but the majority of the general public of which he is a member despite his celebrity status (if only owning a dog was enough to become a celebrity :rolleyes:) have no idea of the issues of breeding

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.