Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

EWWWWW!!! Poo eating ... why start now??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Spendy, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Spendy

Spendy PetForums Member

I've discovered this morning that Karma EATS HER POOOOOO :eek:

She never done this before if she poos on her pad inside, but seems to have started recently-ish. When I take her out, she'll give it a sniff when she's done and then happily trot off on her own.

What I have noticed is, if she makes a "mistake" inside, she's run into her crate and almost cower in the corner :confused: I've never told her off for pooing or weeing inside, and when I noticed her first cowering, I tried to speak to her in the most reassuring tones ever.

I guess my question is ... is it that her poo is more tasty now, or (and I don't know if dogs think this way) is she trying to hide the evidence of having pooed inside in the first place??

2. Spendy

Spendy PetForums Member

Any ideas guys? :confused:

3. Hmm thats a difficult one. I`m more thinking clearing up evidence but I could be completely wrong haha. :eek:

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There is several theories why dogs eat poo. One is the diet that they may be on.
    some foods have strong smells and flavourings and it can pass out smelling the same so be enticing still. So a natural diet with completely digestable nutrients can help sometimes obviously depending on what shes being fed now.

Another theory is that its boredom, and looking at exercise levels and things to keep them more mentally stimulated can help.

Another theory is that there may be vitamins and minerals or something missing from the diet that makes them do it.

Its said that adding pineapple to their food can help make it unpallatable but that has varying reports. There is also something called stool repel um that you can use in dogs from 6months that is supposed to make it unplalatable too.

Dogs naturally usually want to be clean, and some can get distressed at having accidents especially in their bed and surrounding areas. Thats the theory behind crate training that a og wont soil its bed surrounding area or where it eats, which given the choice they wont.

I notice too that you say you are using toileting pads, maybe ditch them and instead make sure she is regularly taken out in the garden instead, and when she does it out there use praise and treats. Maybe shes distressed when she does it in the house and given the oportunity to only do it outside the poo eating will stop. Especially as you say out on walks she doesnt eat it. Maybe shes trying to tell you something and pooing inside is stressing her out and shes trying to get rid of the evidence. Dont know the circumstances of how you got her but if shes a rescue maybe shes been punished for indoor toileting accidents hence the cowering and eating it for that reason.

#4 Sled dog hotel, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  5. Hiafa123

Hiafa123 PetForums Senior

Yep been through this. Ellie who is 1 yr old now started doing it when she was 5 month old.She wouldnt do it out on a walk ( I wouldnt give her a chance to) but you had to watch her like a hawk in the garden and of course in the house. She wasnt just partial to her poo she would eat our other 2's. It was a case of cleaning up immediately so she couldnt get a chance and correcting her when she went near any poo ( she would think that she could have a gobble at it whilst I went for the shovel).

She did grow out of it ( Im pleased to say) but she now has a habit of literally shoving her nose right up to any bit of poo.....it was suggested to me to add pineapple to her food but I just went along the clean up right away and correct her and it did the trick....just a few long months.

6. tia maria

tia maria PetForums Member

Our dog on seeing rabbit pooh for the first time on a walk, hoovered them up like maltesers
    I read that they're attracted by enzymes which help digestion

Also, pups see their Mum eat their pooh to deter predators

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice