Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

evil phlebotomist

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cassies-mum, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

my mum went to get a routine blood test done

the phlebotomist did it wrong

she put the band round my mums arm tight (as it should be)
    put the needle in, but didny loosed the band ?
    also she put the needle into the vein and then out the other side

my mum now has a huge bruise on her arm
    wont show up well in photos but heres teh best i could get:
    Picture 386.jpg

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Apart from sticking the needle all the way through, thats the correct way of taking blood.

3. Cassies-mum

no its not, your meant to loosen the strap thing

my mum was a nurse and took blood mostt every day

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have blood taken every 2 weeks, they always do it that way.

Releasing the band too early will cause the vein to collapse and prevent the flow of blood. The band creates a reservoir of blood.

5. Cassies-mum

the woman took 3 little tubey things and did not loosen the thing at all, the old phlebotomist loosened it and there was never this much bruising but she had retired and this woman has only been on a couple of weeks so mum said she must just be getting into it as she is quite young

when the blood stopped my mum said i think the band should have been loosened shouldnt it, and the woman just said the tighter the better :confused: where the other woman said that it should be loosened??

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine loosens it near the end, but not straight away, otherwise the pressure would cause the vein to collapse in on itself.

Does sound like she fluffed up a bit. She created her reservior, then sucked it dry. Prevented the blood flowing back up, but wasnt allowing new blood to flow down into the limb.

I bruise everytime :eek:

7. Cassies-mum

lol my mum doesnt tend to bruise, a little bit occasionaly but this is causing pain when shes bending her arm lol

8. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

every time i have bloods taken they pop the strap open towards the end of the last tube.

9. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

Not sure what your "lol's" are about but what happened is perfectly normal. I bruise as if I've been beaten with a hammer when the take even a small amount of blood.

Last Friday I had 2 injections into my shoulder socket and even though they didn't take blood from there of course, I still bruised terribly. You can't judge these things.

The word "evil" sure is being thrown around a lot recently.

10. Cassies-mum

i apologise if i have offended you, but my mum is even laughing about what happened and its her whos got the bruise?

i dont really see how this has offended you but i am truly sorry I honestly didnt think this would offend!

I must have a ridiculous sense of humor as does the rest of my family - in future i shall keep things to myself.

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Nice bruise ;)

The last time I had a blood test they took 8 tubes from me (testing for my arthritis). Can't tell you what they did to me though, think I passed out from the shock of it lol!!!

12. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

Nobodu is offended! :)

I just hate hate to see a health professional be classed as "evil" when they are doing a much needed job. Maybe you use the word evil like I use the word "assbasket" :D I don't mean it either.

13. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Mines always loosened near the end of the last tube, I like the feeling of blood being taken and really like giving blood (im a weirdo i know!)

I ALWAYS bruise really badly when i gave blood last time i had a bruise that was about 6 inches long and was as wide as my arm, Im not sure why i do tho, Ive got a lump from when i was pregnant and the messed up taking blood abit like your mum they went right through but still tried to take blood and now i have this odd hard lump there :confused:

i look like an ex junkie with all my needle marks in both arms :eek: have to explain each time i scar easly and had blood taken every 1-2days for 5weeks and then every other day for 7weeks when pregnant with my children

14. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

I have regular blood tests and I hate it as I am terrified of needles. Sometimes I only have a small bruise but occassionally I get a huge one and my arm hurts for quite a while.

15. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

Ouch, I had this when I had my bloods done for my second pregnancy,Im not great at the best of times but this really took the biscuit. Tell your Mum to put arnica on the bruise or witch hazel and it will go down in no time at all.

Its usual for them to leave the band tight so they get the vein but usually they loosen it up once they have extracted the blood and just as they are taking the needle out! Having a life time of bloodtests for a thyroid condition I have had it taken from lots of different places, nowadays they have to get it from the back of my hand which I hate but hey it could be worse couldn't it!

Hope your poor Mum is feeling better really soon!

Izzie

16. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Good grief, what a mad thread!

I worked as a phlebotomist for a while, and I was trained to release the band towards the end of the last tube.

Putting the needle out the other side of the vein is a big no no

Some people bruise, some dont, some people faint, others dont...you see it all in the blood clinic!

17. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi,

The only person I know to faint was my Dad lol. Apparently they had done lots of blood tests on myself and Mum but wanted to test Dad to see if he had thyroid issues too. Mum said she had sat there watching them take blood out of a tiny three month old baby and when it came to Dads test he just slumped onto the floor, mind you this is the guy who cancelled his own vasectomy, big coward!

Izzie

18. claire

claire Guest

Ive got my phlebotomy training on the 25th and im looking forward to it, ive beeen in clinic a few times in the last few weeks and what you discribed sounds normal practice to keep the band tight till last sample

19. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

:)
    Hi

So are you going to train to just work in phlebotomy or other areas too?

I trained on the job as it were, watched in clinic for a month, practised on a fake arm (sounds awful i know :) ) then when the lady thought I was ready I did it on her. She just then asked people who she knew were regulars, if they minded if I took their blood.

Glad your looking forward to it!

20. claire

claire Guest

I got my theory side on the 25th, then ive got 3 days in clinic under supervision them im free to go lol, I heard about the fake arm lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice