UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Bet the neighbour is a picture of sweetness and beauty :rolleyes: Jackson looks like a lovely dog with a responsible owner :) I wish we could dispel the stigma attached to muzzles.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I wish we could dispel the neighbour.:)
its pillocks like that, that make it so hard to own a dog with issues and sort them out.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I'm sure your neighbour would have had something to say if they saw him reacting to another dog without a muzzle on! :rolleyes:

Scooter goes out with a muzzle on so I know the feeling.

·
Registered
326 Posts
why do people speak before engaging their brains! what a thoughtless inconsiderate thing to say...blurting out a frivolous remark like that...your dog looks far from "evil", at a mere glance you can see he's a fine looking dog who without a doubt has a loving responsible owner looking out for his best interests. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I feel pleased that an owner has a dog muzzled if they can be unpredictable with other dogs, scavenge etc - just shows they're being responsible and doesn't change my opinion of the dog. I get enough comments with Kilo in his headcollar about muzzles; goodness knows how many I'd get if he really was muzzled :rolleyes:. There are some strange 'uns about :shocked:.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Look at the wee soul, just looks like soneone's put a lot of thought into keeping him, and other dogs, safe and happy.

Assuming you get bored of explaining it to the uneducated I would spend my time making up increasingly outlandish reasons for him having to wear it, maybe he's obsessed with eating people's left shoe (and only the left one) or it's actually a time travel device.

Mind me asking what size it as well, in between chair stealing Bodhi isn't convinced I need to measure his nose.

·
Banned
22,188 Posts
I wish we could dispel the stigma attached to muzzles.
All the while they're creating images such as the one enclosed;

That's just not gonna happen ;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
He most certainly does not look evil, he looks great and is lucky to have a responsible owner. I must ask where his fleecy (apologies if its not but it looks it) coat comes from?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
People are thoughtless sometimes, aren't they? I take Jenny out muzzled as she is unpredictable around dogs and people and it does keep everybody away from her which is great from my point of view.

However, we are more likely to get people laughing at us :rolleyes: I know she is small and only 7kg but she still has teeth!

·
Registered
20,329 Posts
For heavens sake, someone makes a harmless comment and gets verbally attacked on here for it. It could even have been said sarcastically. Why are so many people so sensitive. I could get so I would not dare to open my mouth in case I upset someone when I read the sort of things that are taken offence to on here.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
For heavens sake, someone makes a harmless comment and gets verbally attacked on here for it. It could even have been said sarcastically. Why are so many people so sensitive. I could get so I would not dare to open my mouth in case I upset someone when I read the sort of things that are taken offence to on here.
Don't you think EVIL is a very strong word to use in a flippant comment? it might be ok used in a kjoking way with close friends or family, I think it's an incredibly strong word to use because someone is being responsible about their dog. If it's becoming a world where people feel they have to think before they speak.... frankly, it's about time. :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You can't bloody win can you :mad: You do the responsible thing and put a muzzle on him as you know he isn't the best with dogs, so now he's evil :confused: Yet if you didn't put it on and he had a nibble of another dog no doubt you would be evil :shocked: I just don't get some people :confused:

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Just ignore it, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. I used to get called cruel for muzzling Rupert. Dunno what was so cruel about it and I'm sure those saying it would have been the first to complain had it been their dog needing emergency vet care because he'd got hold of them :frown2:

My clearly abused and terribly unhappy hound from hell.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
My only reservation about muzzles are a) if the dog's lead or collar breaks and the dog runs off, they wont be able to scavenge for food (god forbid) and b) most owners DONT muzzle but many do allow them to run off the lead, dogs learn by play and by letting other dogs know they arent to be messed with, so if a dog runs up and attacks a muzzled dog they cant defend themselves at all

one local "know it all" has a japanese thing, lovely dog to look at but it picked a fight with our two, the owner was 200yds away calling it back, it went back once our two had "had a word" with it, with no real harm.....

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
My only reservation about muzzles are a) if the dog's lead or collar breaks and the dog runs off, they wont be able to scavenge for food (god forbid) and b) most owners DONT muzzle but many do allow them to run off the lead, dogs learn by play and by letting other dogs know they arent to be messed with, so if a dog runs up and attacks a muzzled dog they cant defend themselves at all

one local "know it all" has a japanese thing, lovely dog to look at but it picked a fight with our two, the owner was 200yds away calling it back, it went back once our two had "had a word" with it, with no real harm.....
How realistic is it though that dogs would run off should their lead or collar break? I would think it is a tiny minority that would. Even if I thought Kilo would but he was as intent on harm as Sarah's Rupert was then I'd see the muzzle as being the most viable option and have a collar and harness with lead attached to both to guard against the possibility of equipment failure and the dog doing a bunk.

Some dogs are beyond 'having a word' or taking heed of those that will too - having some dogs unmuzzled and taking chances is downright irresponsible.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
How realistic is it though that dogs would run off should their lead or collar break? I would think it is a tiny minority that would. Even if I thought Kilo would but he was as intent on harm as Sarah's Rupert was then I'd see the muzzle as being the most viable option and have a collar and harness with lead attached to both to guard against the possibility of equipment failure and the dog doing a bunk.

Some dogs are beyond 'having a word' or taking heed of those that will too - having some dogs unmuzzled and taking chances is downright irresponsible.
Exactly the way I felt with Rupert. Had Ruperts collar or leash broken and he'd spotted prey he'd have been gone. But the risk of him seriously hurting or even killing another dog was far greater. He would not just "have a word", if another dog approached him, whether friendly or not, he launched an all out attack on it. If he bit he bit hard and he would not stop until forcibly removed. As for not being able to defend himself, tell that to the dog whose ribs he broke. And the dog he had pinned to the floor screaming in terror. Rupe was muzzled and leashed, these dogs were off leash on the street (I very rarely risked a walk anywhere else) and had far from friendly intentions.

I personally wouldn't muzzle a dog who was all noise and slobber but there are dogs out there who I firmly believe should be muzzled for safety reasons.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I get it with Molly :rolleyes:
She has to be muzzled with her being unpredictable around other dogs. But due to her breed, people cross the road to get away from her :( She is fab around people, its dogs she gets a little nervy around.
But like others have said, I would rather be safe than sorry :D

Bronson is bigger than Molly, but luckily he is great with everyone. In fact, we have just got in from our walk and it was a cross Collie that went for him. He just looked at the dog, then at me and just kept on walking. Couldn't be prouder :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
To reply - not necessarily in order of appearance:-
Blitz - I just think this "off the cuff" remark from my well educated but not a dog person neighbour, highlights the problems and advantages of muzzling. Any comments on here are highly unlikely to reach his ears, so no harm done.

Fortune's fool - the muzzle is a Baskerville Ultra size 2 Once fitted, the muzzle should allow your dog to fully open their mouths as in a yawn,but not be so big they can get their nose out so Bodhi might need a size 3 (WAG)

Lola71 - Jackson is wearing a thundershirt to try and encourage calmness on walks. Not convinced really but it is warm so will double as a coat. If you're looking for a coat equafleece look good

My other dog used to play with a Patterdale that was muzzled if he got over excited, and that worked well. Jackson is muzzled because he bit the ear of the trainer's dog when I first got him with no growling. I have not seen him close to another dog since but it gives me a bit of confidence. He has no bite inhibition to speak of(!!) so although quite good about standing quietly if I meet anyone, I wouldn't like him to grab as he occasionally does with my husband.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.