Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Everything there is to know about rotweilers/cane corsos.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nikita Piatrenka, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Nikita Piatrenka

Nikita Piatrenka PetForums Newbie

Hi! i i'am looking to get a dog, i was thinking about a rotweiler or a cane corso.

I have never had a dog so was thinking about adopting one. Since i don't have the time nor experince to train that kind of dog as a puppy. And was thinking about getting as much information as possible about these two breeds from owners of rotweilers, cane corsos or experinced owners, such as, eating habits, training, grooming, socialization, if they are okay with being left alone for a couple of hours, etc.

It would help a lot, since everyone is giving me diffrent information on the internet. I myself was thinking it would be easier to adopt a dog since i have so little time and experince on my hands.

#1 Nikita Piatrenka, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

If you've never had a dog before I would not choose either of these two breeds. Cane Corsos in particular are not for beginner owners.

What attracted you to these breeds and what are you looking for in a dog - perhaps we can recommend a more suitable breed.

3. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Where were you thinking of adopting it from? No half decent rescue would rehome either of those breeds to someone without any experience at all and no time to devote to the dog.

4. Nikita Piatrenka

I want a dog that can protect the house while i'am gone for work for a couple of hours, and kind of family dog aswell. I work on weekdays but not on weekends. I'm ready to give the breed the training that it needs.

5. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I take it you're not in the UK.

6. Nikita Piatrenka

I live in Sweden, so i would probably adobt the dog from the local shelter in Piteå (It's the closest shelter), it's like 90 km from my house. So what are my options if i want a family dog aswell as a guard dog?

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

It depends what you mean by a guard dog. Most dogs, no matter what breed, are a deterrent as they create noise that alerts people that something might be going on. What are you expecting your 'guard dog' to do?

O2.0, Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  8. Nikita Piatrenka

Well exactly that scare away intruders and what not. And i'm guessing if the thief was to enter my house it would not be scared of a small dog.

9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I have a GSD and he's certainly a deterrent to burglars as he's very vocal but I'd be mortified if he ever actually went for anyone. He's also very gentle with my two year old granddaughter but I would never leave them alone together because the potential for harm is just too great. All ways round he's probably what you 'think' you want but actually pretty rubbish in both roles.

And adding - he's wonderful because I've spent almost every waking minute with him since he was eight weeks old.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Nikita Piatrenka

I have heard that the German shepherd (if that's the breed you're talking about) sheds a lot and i want a dog that dosen't shed way too much.

11. Billbailey

Billbailey Banned

I think you'd better off with a security system rather than a dog.

12. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Without trying to be funny, perhaps a good home security system would be a better idea? And then you can get a lovely family dog that suits your circumstances better.

13. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I am and they do. Please don't take this the wrong way but I think you have an idealised picture of dog ownership.

Lurcherlad, lullabydream and Blitz like this.
  14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

15. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

My thoughts exactly! .

lullabydream likes this.
  16. Nikita Piatrenka

How do you find so much time to spend with your dog?

17. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Did I not mention my granddaughter in an earlier post? Simply put - I’m old.

DanWalkersmum and lullabydream like this.
  18. Nikita Piatrenka

Okay..

19. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

im not experieced with rotties, so ill let someone else answer that part, but i will say all the ones i have met, which is quite a few, are all sooks, look muscley and intimidating, sound mean, but roll over as soon as the hint of a tumy rub is given
    however
    corso?
    those i do have experience with, from puppies, through teenage troubles and in old age, bringing on for breeders, owners and fostering those given up
    believe me
    you either have a corso as a guard dog
    OR
    you have one as a famly pet
    im not saying a guard dog cant turn off, but it will always have a heightened instinct for odd noises and people and so on, and you cant be lax around them where family is cincerned
    but....
    brought up as a family dog, from a good breeder ( in the UK very hard to find), looks intimidating, but as above re the rotties, are as soft as a teddy bear around their family, ( not saying theyre bomb proof, as no dog is, and, therefore should never be left unsupervised around children) yes they can switch on, if someone they dont know is a bit intimidating
    but
    i would never have one corso do both jobs

this is also from experience,
    i would NOT advise anyone not used to the breed, getting a corso from a rescue, most are given up at around 18 months, just when they hit 'the teenage time'
    theyve been given up because, suddenly, theyre not the easy all round dogs they thought they were, and a stubborn corso is not an easy corso to live with, as they will be bullies and use their strength to get their own way and they need experience ( please dont even think im talking dominance)
    and
    at this age, theycertainly need experienced positive training, no matter how hard that becomes, because
    a corso doesnt forget easily,
    they are well known for holding grudges no matter how long the length of time,
    use negative training and youll end up with a dog with total attitude

farm bred Jack Russel Terriers scare me, theyre quick and nippy and, because theyre ratters, will go for the ankles and bite,believe me, despite their size, their bite is very much worse than their bark, most of them dont make much bigger than 35-45cm at the shoulder

border collies make good alarm and family dogs, theyre quick to learn, too darn quick sometimes, their brains are used to switching on and off jobs as the owner asks
    and
    when my son was writing a piece for a college course, he interviewed the postmen at our local sorting office re dogs, and, delivering the post.
    the number one dog they all mentioned, where they would not enter a garden if it was present, loose or not,, even if they knew the dog, was.......
    a border collie
    how about a swiss shepherd? a mallinois? or as already suggested, a german shepherd, all are working dogs, used to switching jobs as needed and, when used as police dogs, used to living in with their families
    In some areas of France, the police still use standard poodles, due to their intelligence and adatability

Remember two things
    More often then not, the bigger dogs, who look intimidating, are most certainly not, they dont have to, its ingrained in OUR history not to mess with them, so their looks and demenour is all it takes,
    the dogs you least suspect are the ones to worry about
    and, this old adage, that says......
    at the end of the day
    its not the size of the dog in the fight that matters
    its the size of fight in the dog

#19 mrs phas, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  20. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Think you need to be careful about wanting a “guard” dog as this does not equate to a family pet. All dogs can put off intruders (including small dogs) but few will prevent the determined invader....

So as you are not experienced think you need to look at security of your property separately from having a pet.

Sounds like you have not thought this through fully and now may not be the best time for a pet as they take up a lot of time and money.

LinznMilly, O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice