Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Even the best........

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Siskin, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

........ Have to finally give up and retire.

When we moved here 25 years ago we were introduced to a couple who bred, showed and judged Labradors. We got on well with them and often had doggy talks when we met up. I always found it interesting to hear about shows they attended or litters of puppies and who had bought them.
    She told me then that they were going to give up breeding and showing dogs as they wanted to enjoy their retirement and had been doing it long enough (30 years at that time) but somehow they just couldn't resist having another litter and then.... And before they knew it they were back to the rounds of puppies and shows. He was invited to judge the labs at Crufts some years ago and they were often abroad judging dog shows - even in Australia. One of their dogs did particularly well and was a well used stud round the world and it only recently his stored sperm has finally all been used up. They were well known within the labrador world.

Today she told me that they have finally come to the decision after 50 odd years, they are definitely giving up showing and breeding their labs, they are now in their late 70's. They are keeping two of their dogs, the rest they have found very good homes amongst their many friends in the dog world, one is off to a top breeder in Switzerland. After all these years it's going to be a wrench, but they were becoming aware of their ages, he's had heart surgery recently, and we're concerned that they could be left with a number of dogs to suddenly find homes for if something major happened and they were unable to care from them properly. The two they are keeping are five and six years old and they hope will be able to stay with them as long as possibly, they can't imagine not having dogs in their lives.
    I think they will be missed within labrador showing and breeding community, but their words live on in books and articles they have published over the years

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Every Breed needs people such as your Friends.

It's a shame they're giving up, but will leave a legacy within the Breed.

Siskin likes this.
  3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sounds like they are leaving a great legacy.
    Hopefully they can continue to enjoy the "dog world" in a more relaxed way

Siskin likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice