Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Euthanasia After Surgery. Please Help

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Masikanadah, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Masikanadah

Masikanadah PetForums Newbie

E350613F-AAA2-4CFB-99F2-6C043EB4040E.jpeg My little 6 year old cavalier had to undergo emergency surgery this Monday for a bowel obstruction. She had her bowel cut open in four places and also her stomach cut open. Tuesday she seemed to do great, then on Wednesday she developed secondary peritonitis. One of the incisions in the bowel had come open and was leaking septic fluid into her abdominal cavitiy so she had another emergency surgery and had some of her bowel resected. It has been 32 hours since the second surgery and she is not doing well. I know I have done everything I can for her. Above and beyond actually as my father is the veterinarian who performed the surgeries and took care of her. I work for him and was there for both surgeries and monitored her day and night but she is not going to make it. I am going to spend the day with her tomorrow and then on Sunday will have to euthanize her. I am so heart broken. She is so young and I was not prepared for this and am not ready and I hurt so much and don’t know how to say goodbye. I haven’t slept all week and seeing her in pain breaks my heart and I don’t know how to tell her it will be ok or that her suffering will end soon. And I don’t know how to be ok. She stood by me through some of the most difficult times of my life and I can’t stop crying. I am dreading Sunday. Dreading it. I feel as if it’s a bad dream. I don’t want to let her go. How do I do this? How do I prepare? How do I be ok? Does anyone have any advice?

2. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

I am so sorry to read your post I know exactly how you feel I had to say goodbye to my darling boys last year Rusty in May 2018 and Pepe in November 2018. It is a very hard decision to have to make and I am still heartbroken over it but know I did the best thing for them as they were both poorly. The only advice I can give is that your little dog will know how much you loved her, and hopefully in time youwill be able to look back on all the happy times you had with her. I am beginning to be able to think about all the lovely times I had with my two but still shed many a tear although I was lucky to have Rusty for 13 and a half years and Pepe for 12 and a quarter years. My thoughts are with you we only feel like this because we loved our dogs so much they have been very lucky some dogs don’t get the love and attention our dogs have had.

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Your sweet littledog has suffered so much already from her other problems, I think you have to put that first and set her free from her pain. It's never easy but sometimes necessary unfortunately.
    Thinking about you.

4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Im so sorry to hear that your are losing your dog at such a young age. Thats very sad . :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice