Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eurotunnel timing advice?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mstr Eddie, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Mstr Eddie

Mstr Eddie PetForums Junior

Good evening,
    We are traveling on Eurotunnel with our Eddie (Manchester Terrier) next month. How much time to do we need before departure from both UK and France in order to get all the necessary checks carried out.

We have Pet Passport, chip and vacc's under control.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

#1 Mstr Eddie, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

Is this the one where you take the car on rather than seated yes? We have taken the car on just the once and the checks were very quick, because I am a worrier though we are always there at least an hour or so early :eek: that had the advantage of us getting on an earlier train though, there was space so they let us get on! If I remember correctly we never had to get out the car for any checks, we literally went through sectioned roads with bothies like at tolls where they took our tickets and our passports were very quickly checkd and that was it!

3. Mstr Eddie

Hi dalpup,

Thanks for your reply, yes it is the drive-on train we are taking.
    Was your experience at the UK end? We've heard that we have to get out and go to a vet area in france on the france-UK leg before boarding.

Many thanks

4. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

hmm I dont know about with the doggy, sorry :eek: have no personal experience of that, just of normal minus pet travel. I would leave yourself a fair bit of time to be safe to be honest, maybe give the Eurotunnel folks over here a call and ask, we had to call about stuff and they were very helpful

5. Mstr Eddie

bump up ;)

6. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

You have no checks whatsoever in regards to the dog on your way out of the Uk. You never get of the car, the boarding card shows a paw print meaning you have a dog on board (they know from your booking). Super easy to get out really...
    Coming back no quite so easy.

You need to allow more time to pas customs because they need to check pet passport and scan the dog to confirm it's microchip number.
    I cannot tell you about the eurotunnel as when we went we used the tunnel to get to france but we came back by ferry with P&O. The rules are the same though.

You need to see a vet (book in advance) so the dog is treated for teaks and warmed. The warmer has to have a specific ingredient (you can find it on DEFRA or surely the vet will know). The vet has to sign and stamp the passport where it is required, make sure they do that and get a a receipt just in case. After seeing the vet 24 hours have to be passed before you cross, but no more then 48. This is the tricky part so be careful. If you exceed the 48 hours from the time you saw the vet you miss your crossing, you have to treat the dog again at another vet and wait another 24hrs. The worst part is having to put all that stuff in your dog system again, it bothers me already to do it once, let alone twice in a row!

hope I haven't confused you more :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice