Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eukanabu and raw?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Shitzulover, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Shitzulover

Shitzulover PetForums Senior

Can I feed my puppy Eukanabu and raw? I'd like him on a complete meal but also with a raw meal per day too.

Note; I don't have my puppy yet.

2. BumbleFluff

BumbleFluff PetForums VIP

You can have a complete diet from just raw :)

There are a few people i know who feed both commercial food and raw (one am, the other pm) but i dont know the pros and cons of it. Im sure theres someone more useful and knowledgable than me on here :p

3. Shitzulover

I've been reading a book called 'think dog' and the author says a raw diet doesn't include all the vitamins etc a dog needs. I'm
    Just worried I won't get a whole raw diet right.

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Are you sure you want to feed Eukanuba? No offence intended, just not nice reading but of course everyone has free choice.

Lots of vitamins can be included in the raw diet by giving blended veggies (blended in a food processor, not just chunks of veggies) - take a look at Sleeping Lion's great post. This is what I do for Poppy.

There are also other supplements that some members give, sorry I don't have links as I don't give anything other than what goes in the veggie blend.

5. Shitzulover

This is what confuses me. This book was a best seller and was highly recommended. I just looked at a sticky which says Eukanabu is a bad choice. There is so many conflicting opinions it's hard to choose what to go with.

Is there any complete foods which are good value and don't break the bank? Eventually I'd like to be confident enough to feed a whole raw diet

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Never used Eukanabu, as many years ago when I rescued my first siberian Husky I was told never to feed it to them, as amongst other things they seem to go hyper on it. Must admit Ive met a few people over the years with real hyper siberians and they have been feeding it and when Ive told them what I was told have changed it and apparently made a difference.

7. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Sorry I can't help with commercial foods, is there anything in the commercial food stickies? (Sorry, I don't look at them.)

Poppy came to me on Eukanuba but she wasn't interested in it really. I changed her onto Burns Mini Bites which was better but she wasn't that bothered with a dry food. I then changed her onto NatureDiet wet trays and she was better with those and I kept her on them until I swapped to raw when she was 11 months old. Once she was on raw it was a real eye opener, really interested in her food, waited at my feet while I got it ready whereas when she was on the commercial she had to be coaxed to eat it.

8. Shitzulover

Crazy. How can you feed your dog the best food when vets, canine magazines and tv ads endorse foods which turn out to be rubbish.

No idea what to do then.

9. Shitzulover

I'll have to look into a complete raw diet straightaway then. I just worried it wouldn't be good for an 8 week old puppy to switch to a complete raw diet

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you looked on the dried food index that six star did there is foods on their that are rated according to good meat content no aritifical things added and good nutrition and natural?

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/255727-updated-dry-dog-food-index.html

11. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Harvey my staff has been fed a full raw diet from 8 weeks old.

If you follow the diet it does have everything a dog needs in terms of vitamins and minerals.

12. Shitzulover

Where can I find a simple easy to follow plan? The stickys on here are great but just so much to get through

13. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

The easiest guide i know is this one:

How to Get Started | Prey Model Raw

It's ALOT easier to swap a puppies diet over to raw then an older dog as they transition alot quicker and easier

14. Shitzulover

Thanks! I will read it thoroughly tomorrow. Too tired to concentrate now

15. Pinkchi

Pinkchi PetForums Member

Vets nutritional training is paid for by such companies who produce Pro Plan, Royal Canin, Hills etc, which is why they recommend it so much, because 1) Thats what they were taught so why would it be wrong? And 2) They have some kind of royalty scheme with the companies for selling/recommending their food. Vets don't usually recommend or agree with a raw diet because its not what they have been trained.

Food companies also pay magazines for advertising.

I feel alot of people are brainwashed by clever advertising half the time (look at Bakers for example). All pet food is manufactured with us in mind rather than our pets, because it has to appeal to us for us to buy it. Most people don't even question it, but once you do you'll find it uncovers alot of stuff that will really open your eyes.

A raw diet is not for everyone but its far simpler than most people think. There are a few decent dry foods available now with a very high meat content and also a range of freeze dried and dehydrated which is now available, but the bottom line for me is my dogs physical anatomy. He is made to rip/tear chunks of flesh off bone not chew dried hard biscuits.

Just be careful and do your research, and don't be scared to ask questions. We all have to start somewhere. I've not been feeding raw for very long and i'm sure I bugged everyone with all my questions (probably still do) but i'm happy and so is my dog

16. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

I would steer clear of Eukanuba and I speak from personal experience feeding it :(

Also I fed my guys both raw and kibble one in each meal but noticed how much better they were fully on raw. My old girl actually didn't do well mixing daily, she was better on purely kibble :eek: although now fully raw is MUCH better :D

If you are worried about not getting it right, why not start on something like Natural Instinct which has the correct balance :)

Or do more reading and decide which way you want to go feeding wise :)

17. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Although I feed all our dogs raw, personally, if in doubt, I would stick to commercial food. I know you read my "research checklist" and I hope you've had some success with the research but in my mind, when it's possible that you will be told by your vet "you'll kill your dog" you need to be confident. It's one of the reasons you need to know the pro's and cons.

I've found Orijin White Paper a great starting point as to a dog's basic nutritional requirements in a fairly easy to read format. This information along with actually reading ingredient lists if you look at commercial food should help you make an informed choice.

I found Work Wonders - Tom Lonsdale another useful source of information when looking at raw feeding.

#17 Goblin, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If you want a printable version of my raw guide just pm me your email address and I'll send it over, all the weights are for Labradors, but to be honest, I feed by eye mostly, once you've raw fed for a while you just get used to it and give them the portion size you think that particular dog needs, some dogs have a higher metabolism than others, so need less than you think, others more than you might think.

I'd have to second the Eukanuba comments, it's not a good food from what I understand, and not even good value for money. :eek:

I used something called Simpson's Premium to wean Tau's pups on, it's not the best complete out there, but it is very good value for money as well as being a good complete food. If you're not sure about raw just yet, it might be worth weaning onto a good quality kibble and then introducing raw, and as you feel more confident, as suggested, switch over.

19. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Go with your initial plan until you feel ready to feed a full raw diet. Don't make a snap decision.

Feed half commercial and half raw but don't feed them together. And remember puppies until 12 weeks will need 4 meals a day.

Maybe consider wet over dry as its easier to digest. If you want dry look at the dry food index and go with the best your budget can get. Just avoid the red ones.

20. Shitzulover

A vet would say that? :confused:

Its so annoying though. Canine magazines are supposed to be all about dog welfare etc so why advertise bad dog food!? Regardless of how much they're paying to advertise it!

I read that you shouldn't feed kibble and raw as its bad for the digestive system.

I have a while until I get my puppy so plenty of research time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice