Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ethical Question!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Apr 1, 2011.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

If you desperately wanted a child and you were in a relationship, but you knew your child had a very high possibility of a congenital disease, would you still go ahead bearing in mind, that its going to make your job as a parent 10x harder and also the quality of life for the child?

I just ask this because I am in doubt as to whether I should ever have children, as my dad has autism, my mums side there is autism, and I believe I also have it. From growing up my mum went into a deep depression because she could not cope which affected her other children- I am also prone to depression, and to see my brother grow up was hard because people just didn't understand him and thought he was naughty and a horrible child. When I grew up I was very quiet and still have no skills to make friends. But, I have seen what medication can do and how my brother has progressed and I am so proud of him, because I see the gigantic change in him, and how he is now an amazing person, caring, gentle and knows what he wants to do with his life, from violent, sad and bullied young boy. (He regularly used to hit us, and being a 6ft5 since he was about 13, he was pretty strong!)

All in all, I see that being a parent to a child with difficulties is hard, but when you see an improvement its wonderful for everyone around them, and also they do things you didn't expect they would ever do.

So what would you do? If knowing that life was going to be extremely hard all round, but you knew at the end of it you would see an amazing difference and your child could live a nearly normal life?

2. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Well there's no way of knowing for sure that that is how it would turn out. Honestly, if you want a child for the right reasons then go for it. I would. I have a VERY strong desire to have children and I don't think that would change my mind. I've grown up with a brother with special needs so I can understand how things could be difficult and I know there could be a chance of it happening to one of my children because we don't exactly know what it is but babies are hard anyway. Children are hard. Teenagers are awful :p It's all going to be difficult at different times and in different severities. Hopefully what you know will help you with your child if it has trouble and if not, you can raise your child to be more compassionate to others with troubles.

3. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

No i couldn't have children if i knew there was going to be problems. :(

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ime not sure on this one it would depend on the severity and if the child as an adult could cope look after him/herself when we were gone.

5. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

now consider the possibility that people in history like michaelangelo and einstein were autistic..and theres others

6. CharleyRogan

Thats what I mean, your child could grow up and become the next big thing.BUT such people were never diagnosed as Autistic and didn't know there was anything 'wrong' with them, a child now would know and have a stigma attatched to them.

7. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Probably not. I would see if I could adopt.

But it depends on what you are classing as the congenital disease. Autism, probably not, given its understanding and teaching these days. A genetic disease that would cause them to suffer / die young, then no.

8. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Theres nothing wrong with special needs kids :p there just different.

For me it would depend on severity of the condition. Ive worked with kids that are autistic, wheel chair bound, aspergers , downs, to students having seizures and growth problems. Other kids were a little mental unbalanced.

When my mom became pregnant with me, they had just diagnosed my dad with Epstein Bar Virus (No cure and it happened 21yrs ago) she informed my parents that she would advise them not to have children because a spouse coping with another who has this virus is very hard. Well they still had me and my brother :D Thankfully as far as Im aware this virus can not be passed on through genetics.

My parents are divorced now but not to do with my dad being sick. If I remember correctly people with learning disabilities can pass them on to their children. I have learning disabilities but it wont put me off having kids.

9. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Deciding not to have a child because of potential mental disabilities just smacks of wrong to me. I don't know why, it just feels like if the child isn't perfect they're not worth it. I admire people that knowingly carry their downs babies full term and give them a full deserving life. Something that would cause your child pain I can understand. Potential mental health problems, no.

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

If I knew there was a possibility of a condition that could be genetically tested for both me and husband would be tested and if we were both carriers, unlikely but I've heard of it happening even for very rare conditions, I either would never have children or use IVF and embryo screening to ensure none are affected. Something like autisim I'm not so sure I've met austic people who it barely affects and others that are very severly affected. I don't think I would not have children because it was in my family.

I was tested as borderline autistic I think most people would fall somewhere on the spectrum.

#10 Nicky10, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  11. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Having mental illnesses myself and also slight autism I'd have to say no. No way would I put anyone else through it.

Em
    xx

12. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

That's another thing, surely you know Autism is a spectrum disorder?

13. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Me or op? :lol:

I know yes, and I'm way down the spectrum, but it's still impacted my life terribly

Em
    xx

14. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

OP :) Just saying though that if it does happen it might barely affect them

15. bird

bird PetForums VIP

NO
    My cousins wife has huntingdons, it is inherited, her mam has it, both she and her sister were tested for it, her sister is clear, she was'nt, and is a ticking timebomb. This is not something you would wish on anyone. Her two boys are now of age, they want to know if they have inherited this, and both have said that if they have they both want to undergo sterilisation.

16. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

I would.

Not quite the same but

i have a genetic problem theres 50% chance any child i have has brain damage, a disability, severe disfigurement, 25% of bone growth problems, 25% it'll be healthy.

It's a hard decision to make. But it's only one you and your partner can decide. I want kids, my husband wants kids. I want tests for any possible problems if it happens for us, he doesn't due to risks. That's something we'll talk about nearer the time when it happens.

It's a high possibility...not a definite.

:)

17. Chrissysarah

Chrissysarah PetForums Junior

I have mental health problems too which I only found out about in early 20s... triggered by pregnancy. I would not have had kids if i had known this & the thought that they could pass on this genetic disease is awful. So far my kids seem fine, but who knows.
    Its something I would not wish on my worst enemy.
    But its individual choice.. would not be without them now & I manage but its hard xxx

18. CharleyRogan

Yeah I know its spectrum, but my brother and dad are high functioning aspergers, and it has impacted my family in both ways good and bad!

19. Bandy

Bandy Banned

That would be the deciding factor for me...the childs well being.

20. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Very brave of you :) I hope all works out the best for you. I think the pull to have a child personally is too strong and while I would consider adoption at some point, I would first want to have a child that is genetically mine and OH's. Again with my brothers special needs being undiagnosed we don't know if it could be genetic or something that happened by chance and that's a risk I'll be willing to take.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice