Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ethical breeding

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Melissa3236, Sep 25, 2019.

1. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

The insulated inside area stays cool as well as warm and the orientation stops the sun beating directly down on the roof, which slopes backwards. The heatpad in the bed was turned off.

Also it wasn't as hot here in Scotland as in the south of England, and cats originated in the desert so cope better with heat than we do.

Years ago when I lived in a rented room, I had a black cat and I remember he would lie in front of the gas fire until his fur was almost too hot for us to touch! Hopefully they will have free run of the garden next summer, and they will find spots that suit them either in the sun, or the shade. And when the sun is high it doesn't shine nearly as much into the run, and most of the slabs are out of direct sun so fairly cool to lie on.

moomoowawa, SbanR and lymorelynn like this.
  2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I really stressed about this, last summer. I bought a second large parasol, super king size white sheets, various bits and bobs to secure it all to shade the run area as it faces the sun all day. I bought extra cool mats, put ice in the water, took a large floor standing fan outside on an extension cable. Then tried to reassure myself that all would be well.

I popped outside on a roasting day a few hours later to find my stud laying in a small patch of sun that the parasol and sheets had missed.

chillminx and SbanR like this.
  3. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

That genuinely made me laugh out loud :Hilarious

4. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I had ranted at my OH (as you do, when stressed about something) for days about the impending temperatures and spent hours and hours rigging up my shading system so it didn't come down if the wind picked up. And all for nothing apparently!

Rufus15 likes this.
  5. OrientalSlave

LOL! I think his fur might have insulated him from the heat. However you sound well equipped for a sundowner on a hot day. :)

chillminx and gskinner123 like this.
  6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

He probably moved to the shade when you went indoors then moved to lie in the Sun when he heard you coming:D:Hilarious
    (Do you remember the advert where the pandas did nothing while the photographer was watching them, then did a dance routine when he turned away then back to doing nothing when he turned back to watch:D)

chillminx and gskinner123 like this.
  7. Rufus15

Better to have it than not :)

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Ideally studs should not be kept by inexperienced new breeders, mentors should be assisting with mating the girls they have placed for breeding.
    Many contracts can be overcome when you have built up a good relationship with other breeders.
    A lot of breeders importing may not have built up a relationship over the years with that breeder and agree to restricting contracts.

not all boys (or girls) are suited to breeding life and should be neutered if unhappy or too stressed for their ‘job’
    Stud owners must have the time to spend with their boys, or they shouldn’t own them. Our cats are pets first, breeders and show cats second.

stud runs here tend to have shade cloth and sprinkler misting for cooling. On hot days boys are brought inside, penned with blankets & puppy pads around to contain spraying for the hosers. They go back out overnight when temps drop to the 30’s.

My boys have all lived indoors, none have ever sprayed or upset the other cats. The boys get on together, enjoy the company of other cats and kittens.

moomoowawa and OrientalSlave like this.
  9. Milo’s mum

Milo’s mum PetForums Member

Unethical breeding.
    Photos like this break my heart.
    This is from a web advert. ( I don’t know why I am still browsing for a new kitten ) Poor little souls in the tiniest of little prisons.
    CCEE601C-F3E3-4BB3-B527-1D96762BA595.jpeg

David C likes this.
  10. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Looks like that cat pen is in a rabbitary

11. OrientalSlave

Rabbits need more room, let alone cats

David C and Tetley&Kenco like this.
  12. Tetley&Kenco

Tetley&Kenco PetForums Member

My three rabbits have 200 square foot they share! Think a cat would definitely need more than a rabbit!

Milo’s mum likes this.
  13. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Indeed they do but my concern for the cat is being in a shed full of rabbits with all the dust from the shavings and hay

14. OrientalSlave

Didn't notice the rabbits. Isn't the dust a problem for them as well?

15. Tetley&Kenco

Tetley&Kenco PetForums Member

Yes, rabbits should never be housed with sawdust as bedding, the dust causes respiratory issues for them (I think specifically if it is pine then it is very bad for them). Hay is necessary for rabbits to keep teeth and guts healthy, it is more dusty the poorer the quality I find, but is safe, their housing should be well ventilated anyway.

16. Rufus15

I'm confused how hay has come into it when we can't see what the rabbits are housed with. Whilst I agree that the hutches are too small based on what we can see, we can't make the same assumption for the cat's enclosure. We can only see a corner and it could be bigger than it looks. Equally it's not unusual to have cats penned in an outdoor enclosure.

17. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Without knowing the context, he may be the sire of a litter, in which case a stud pen isn't uncommon.
    Hopefully it's nicer than the rabbit housing. It could also be his sleep area and he has outdoor space as well.

18. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

My now retired breeding rabbits space was more than appears in the photo but is less than they do now they are neutered and living together. Much like some stud cats, the Male had to live on his own and sprayed terribly. FYI Bunny spray is far worse than cat. They lived each in separate 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch and would have access to a run for an hour each a day. Now they have a runaround system with 40ft of burrow pipe, a large run and a smaller top box.

Milo’s mum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice