Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Essential oil mixes in the house with two cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ArkFall, Oct 6, 2018.

1. ArkFall

ArkFall PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

We have two cats, Belle and Noah (7ish years and 1 1/2 years respectively), Noah having been adopted less than a week ago and is acclimating in my room (he is free to roam around the house, my room is just a base camp for him where he feels safe, introductions are going very well). My mum is involved with DoTERRA essential oils and frequently uses oils around the house in diffusers and sprays.

This morning my mum went to a workshop run by Young Living Essential Oils and came home with a 'cat-freindly' mix in a spray bottle. However the people running the workshop lied about the mix being pet-friendly and actually contains melaleuca (tea tree), cintronella, and lavender oils.

She's kept the bottle anyway, but only using it in the toilet and bathroom area. The problem is that the bottle doesn't say how concentrated the oils are, or which carrier oil they're mixed into. This concerns me because the toilet area is directly opposite of where my bedroom is and I'm worried about Noah's and Belle's safety because of how dodgy Young Living is with their products, Noah especially because of how young he is.

I'm not sure what do in this situation. Do I try to convince her to get rid of the spray? Do I see how the cats react? I know it's prbably best to ask a vet but the nearest clinic is too far away, we can't afford an appointment, and my anxiety is too severe to call.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

So long as she doesn't spray it on them,.or when they're actually in the room, I should think they will be fine. I use air fresheners and deodorant aerosols in the bathroom and they don't affect the cats. Try not to worry. But it's good to be aware of things that can be toxic for them.

3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I wouldn't. The oils will end up airborne, so it doesn't really matter where the spray is done vs where the cats are as if it's in the same airspace it'll travel. You also don't tend to see toxicity immediately but rather a buildup over time, so "they look fine to me" doesn't work as validation.

I used to use oil burners and such, but stopped when I got cats.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @ArkFall and welcome :)

Tea tree essential oil is toxic to cats, and so I wouldn't spray it anywhere in the house - the cats could inhale it or get it on them if they walked on a surface where the spray had fallen.

Citrus is a scent that most cats find very unpleasant. It is often used as a deterrent for keeping cats off furniture etc. Citronella essential oil is toxic to cats.

Lavender is a safe scent for cats. Lavender essential oil is probably OK in small quantities as long as the cats don't get it on their fur and lick it off.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/dangers-of-essential-oils-555089

5. RyanJ

RyanJ PetForums Newbie

There are some essential oils that are actually really toxic for cats.

However, overall, essential oils can provide natural healing. I personally only use them through a diffuser since I feel is much safer. I wouldn't administer any other way, this is just my opinion.

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I would never use any essential oils, air fresheners, or sprays in the house, partly because I am asthmatic (though normally very well controlled), partly because I hate the smells and partly because of my cats. You wouldn't dream of putting dirt on your clothes to hide dirt, why use one smell to hide another? BTW I find a damp microfibre cloth more than adequate for most cleaning. When it's not a drop of washing up liquid (dish soap in the US) works.

Unfortunately since your mum is involved with a supplier she will have believed all their marketing puff. Suggest you print out Messybeast's page on them for her. And move out as soon as you can. It's far better to live in one's own house, even if it's rented, and be in control of one's environment than having other people decide for you.

http://messybeast.com/teatree.htm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice