Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ESS Question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, May 21, 2010.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Last Night I visited my friend who has an English Springer Spaniel named Amber and my question is do they point? When they sniff something out.

She was searching the house for one of their cats and repeatedly went over to a grate in the floor and was stock still. She kinda looked like she was pointing :confused1: It was quite funny to see her go from one grate to another trying to find a cat.

Also could Springers be used as tracking dogs with smells? Because while we were outside at dark we heard a noise one the roof and when we went to investigate with Amber on lead she was sniffing around in zig zags like she was tracking whatever had been on the ground moment before.

And by tracking smells I mean like a search and rescue dog?

2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yes, i'm pretty sure Springers are used as Search and Rescue dogs quite frequently :)

Not sure if they point though.... they are gundogs so they might do :eek:

3. rona

rona Guest

Springers don't point as such, but many will stand looking at their prey before they flush.
    Tracking should be a doddle for a springer :thumbup:

4. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

They make good tracking dogs just look at how many work as sniffer dogs for the police. I'm sure a few are used as SAR dogs too. I don't think they point but I've seen them stand still when they flush to mark it

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Yes they do the zig zagging is very springer like, mine do it all the time when they get scent of it, mine are very often used for ball finding, we will be up the field and owners who know them will ask me if they can find their dogs lost ball in the long grass i just point in the direction and say "find it", "find the ball" and they have never failed always come out with the ball. I love to see them do it.

6. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

springs are used by police for drug searching and explosives

i seen a springer on tele smelling out cancer once (yes you read that correct)

also springers can be used as cadavor dogs and sometimes mountain rescue

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Is that the bladder cancer dogs? That is pretty awesome

8. haeveymolly

Yes ive seen them on the t.v sniffing drugs the dogs in afganistan as well they are just brilliant. I have heard of them sniffing out cancer as well, and i can imagine it too, we have seen ours especially harvey come up to my sons when they have has rugby injuries, no cuts so no smell of a wound on the surface but when they have say ligament damage he will sniff up to the leg and press his nose into the exact place where the injury is, its amazing really.

9. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Springers have an excellent nose, ours has a tennis ball fetish and i sometimes have to hide balls as she gets so obsesive, trouble is she always finds them if a door is closed she will stand and scratch at the door, if its up high she will stand on her back legs and bark, i have tried putting the ball in a bag ive sprayed it with air freshner but she always finds them:thumbup:

10. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If you get chance to go see springers and/or cockers working/competing they are lovely, they are bred, as rona says, to flush game, and then they 'hup' whilst the game is shot (or not), which is what you're probably thinking of as a point, and (in training/competition) are possibly sent for a retrieve depending on how steady they've been, otherwise it's the job of the retrievers, although they can mix and match between roles! It's hpr's that point, or hunt point retrieve breeds. Hup is thought to be a shortening of the term 'hold up', where the dog is commanded to stop in it's track's basically, some sit, some half sit, and I've seen some pick a front foot up as well.

11. haeveymolly

Thats so strange you saying about holding the foot up ive had 3 springers have 2 now all working breed, we dont work them as in shooting etc, but do give them walks where they can work in their own right. Our youngest from being a young age when focusing on something like the ball a she loves the ball been thrown (its serious stuff to her) she will bring it back, drop it at our feet, then sit or stand with her foot up, the breeder my friend kept mollys twin and she does it, she also said their dad did it too.

12. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Ive never seen a ESS sniffer dog, I have seen a Border Collie Sniffer dog.

I'll have to mention to them if they thought of trying some tracking games with her, it looks like shed have alot of fun :)

Yeh She just zigged and Zagged all around the ground by the roof, we never did find what was making the noise but she did find the cat in the house tho. That was interesting. The cat hid on the bed and Amber went stock still focusing on it, the cat was none to pleased about that.

Also is it normal for them to kinda drop to the ground behind you. While my friends mom was hold the leash Amber was behind her flat on the ground and the moment his mom moved Amber was up and ready.

Ive never gotten to see them work, but my brother did get a chance to meet working labs once at a local hunting lodge.

When she 'hup' she was motionless really focused on the grate, until we called her over she then was all tail wags.

I think it would be great to see them work, it'd something Id do if I ever get a retriever/lab/ or a ESS

Thanks guys :)

13. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Just another quick note, the zig zagging they do, is how they work, you 'cast' them off in a direction (left or right depending on the conditions), and when you pip the whistle, they turn across you, so they are covering the ground in front of you as you move fowards. I've not heard of the lying down behind you, and never seen one do that, although I've only got to see a few working/competing... I love cockers, will have to give one of those a go one of these days.

14. haeveymolly

No mine have never laid down while walking on lead, no never too busy pulling on ahead:rolleyes: when they were puppies sort of a few weeks old they used to lay down in the garden then pounce up and run too me, but that was a sort of puppy play thing.

15. haeveymolly

They are used for sniffer dogs in the police and prisons, a friend of ours used to tell us some fantastic, funny stories about visiting days at the prison where he worked with a springer.:D

16. Kelly2774

Kelly2774 PetForums Member

i have never seen Mya my ESS point but sniffing out her ball is something that she is well good at, also if in the park and she is sniffing for her ball and maybe wanders a bit off the sent i'll shout her name, she'll stop and look then lift her leg up then go the way i tell her :D I have never seen her point

I have seen springers on tv sniffing out drugs etc for the police and in prisons :)

17. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

My boy does all the ''working'' things very very well just on instinct i imagine!! (he is a working type and i great looking one :lol:) He holds his paw up a fair bit! He does not work but i have people who want to work him/buy/breed with him :rolleyes: they drive me bonkers!! I have changed walks a lot!!

I do use his 'instinct' just not with animals! Balls mainly! Lol!!

18. Kelly2774

Kelly2774 PetForums Member

Ive had a lot of people asking to buy/breed Mya etc and it really gets on my nerves :(

19. haeveymolly

If working breed then yes a lot is just instict hey are amazing to see work, we dont work ours and over the years and 3 springers i have been told its cruel to have them and not let them work, but ive said they do work, in their own right, given the opportunity yes it is cruel i think if they are never given that opportunity and are not taken to the right environmant i would hate to see a springer took out for every walk around the streets on lead that isnt fair, other than the finer points and training to work properly i.e to the gun is the only difference they do what come naturally when in woods, fields.

20. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I agree. I 'work' mine but without the gun! I train him to sit and then throw a ball into the undergrowth and then send him in to find it and bring it back (example) he isn't perfect at his sit/wiat yet! He is so obsessed by balls he seems to forget his command sometimes :rolleyes: but then in his past all he was left with while he was alone was a single tennis ball so he has grown to become obsessed with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice