Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Escaped bird

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Siskin, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

How long can this kind of bird survive in the wild? It was spotted yesterday at the other end of my village and people there were unable to catch it. I been flying round my house for the past half hour but I think it must have moved on as I can’t hear it calling anymore.

(Not my photo)

8F8F69AB-2064-4C8B-B9F8-59C142EBF889.jpeg

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

People keep them in outside avaries so cockatiels are pretty hardy....as long as he can find food and water then he should be fine.
    Hope he finds his way home though.:(

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh poor thing! I would also worry about predation, hawks, cats, etc. Poor guy, hope he's caught and safe soon.

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. Siskin

That’s going to be it’s main problem. We have sparrowhawks here and I spotted a Merlin this morning although that is probably too small To be an issue. Plenty of buzzards and Kites about too although they don’t tend to prey on small birds. Usually escaped birds get mobbed by all the corvids and magpies wouldn’t be adverse to having a go

O2.0 likes this.
  5. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

He will survive for a while but will likely will succumb to ether starvation or a predator. :(

Once they do escape though they tend to stay local to there aviary (assuming he was kept outside) and will likely return there as he will recognise the birds he may have lived with.

lullabydream, Lurcherlad and O2.0 like this.
  6. Siskin

As far as is known he’s not local. His appearance has been put on both the villages social media platforms and shared within other villages, but no one has come forward. At the moment he seems to be hanging around the village but I wonder if he is attracted to people who have been coming out to see what the noise is all about.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Hope he can be caught and reunited or rehomed.

We have a flock of Parakeets round here but they haven’t found my garden yet.

Not sure I want them too tbh - I already spend a fortune feeding the garden birds! :)

8. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

We had a cockateil once who had free run of the house so we were always careful about opening exterior doors.
    One day my son went into the garden and didn't realise the bird was sitting on his shoulder until too late.
    He flew around for a while then disappeared. I think he must have succumbed to the starlings. :(

9. Siskin

Sadly there has been so further sightings of the bird so he too may have succumbed.

10. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

That's sad but not uncommon when domestic birds find themselves among wild birds.

11. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

We had a couple of birds escape when we had the aviarys, one, a tiny Strawberry Finch, came back within a half hour, Ken just put all the others in the indoor flight and left the outdoor flight open, 5 mins later he was back inside and happy as a sandboy
    The other, one of my best singing cockies was missing for 24 hrs, the whole estate could hear the bugger singing, but damned if he'd come down to anyone
    Next day he flew in through the back door like he was cock of the walk, his mate was so happy to see him, as we're we, as he gave us some of the best looking and best talking/singing babies ever
    So sometimes they do find their way home

Edit as a Vickie does not a cockie make

#11 mrs phas, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Cully likes this.
  12. Siskin

Apparently it turned up at a nearby hamlet yesterday, but not seen today as far as I know

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice