Escape proof harnesses, or harness with a front D ring

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tigerneko, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Does anyone know where I can get either of the above?

I really want to get Amber a harness in case she ever spooks badly at anything as she's very nervous, i've bought her a fishtail collar so she shouldn't be able to get out of it but i'm still paranoid and would like a harness for backup!

If anyone has any good suggestions i'd be really grateful, it's not a major issue as I don't think she will ever get out of her collar but it would give me peace of mind to have a good strong harness, and i'd prefer a front D ring to attach a double ended lead :)

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Mekuti? Has a few attachment points.

3. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Front D ring harness - Halti Harness, Pets At Home 'front control'.

4. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I'd class the Ruffwear Webmaster as pretty escape proof.

This is Fitz in his:

[​IMG]

You can see that the belly strap makes it impossible for him to slip it. The handle on the back is handy if you need to grab them quickly as well.

It doesn't have a front ring though unfortunately.

5. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

I'm pretty sure the Kumfi harness has a front attachment too

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It doesn't have a front D-ring, but I have a Ruffwear Webmaster for Jake (greyhound) and I'd highly recommend it for sighthounds, it's one of few that fits their awkward shape well and it's extremely secure - there's no way he'd get out of it in a hurry! Best feature is a handle on the back of it though.

He wears a regular track collar and lead which he is walked on, the Webmaster if just for extra support and security - he gets jittery walking on uneven ground and up steps, so I can use the handle to guide him, and I can use it to take the pressure off his neck if he spots a bunny and starts pulling! I also find it useful as he is a nervous boy, and having the handle lets me get him that bit closer to my leg when I need to reassure him.

7. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

Pretty sure Sid at Indi dog does a Houdini harness now with a third strap similar to the ruff wear one but less bulky. Although I do really like the webmaster harnesses I have for mine I worry about them overheating in summer.

ETA - this one :) http://indi-dog.co.uk/20mm-dog-harnesses?product_id=92

#7 Wyrekin, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I was just looking at your pictures of the Mekuti on the other harness thread, they actually look pretty good, are they made so that the dog can't back out of them? That's Amber's main issue, when she spooks, she goes backwards and I think she could back out of a lot of harnesses! I noticed the different attachment points on it, which is good too :)

I've tried the Halti Harness before, it's rubbish! It adjusts itself as the dog is walking :shocked: haven't tried the P@H version though, will look into that one :)

ahhh yeah that's the one I was originally looking at! It's just a bit out of my price range though :p although it is a brilliant looking harness, looks as though it'll last forever, and I like the handle on the top, very useful for keeping hold of her in larger crowds if she gets worried.

I've not heard of that one but i'll look into it, thankyou :D

9. jesterjenn

jesterjenn PetForums Senior

I'd fully recommend the Perfect Fit harness (link -> Perfect Fit Harness ) - it's highly adjustable, strong, well made, and has what you're after :)

I run Harley in agility in one and because of it's adjustability, it really suits most dogs regardless of shape :)

10. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

I am another Perfect fit harness user and I love it. I accidently got mine without D rings on the front, but I have a snugglepets harness with a D ring on the front and find that good also Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

11. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

That's exactly the post I wanted to hear! I did wonder if the webmaster would be a good fit on a Grey, and I also worry that most harnesses and things are an awkward fit for them. I was looking at all the different harnesses in P@H today (didn't take Amber with me though as I didn't want to push her too far by taking her on the bus when she's so nervy) but didn't dare buy any in case they didn't fit her... i've already bought her a coat that doesn't fit so I need to send it back and wait for another to arrive! I thought the same about the handle as well, she went absolutely crazy when she saw a cat a few days ago and I could have very much done with that handle :lol: but also like you say, for when she gets worried to keep her close to me as her instinct seems to be to try and bolt in any direction, so I need to be able to keep her close to me really.

I will keep looking into the webmaster, it is a bit more than I can afford but since two sighthound people have both recommended it, I might just splash out :)

12. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I don't know what size she'd take but Fitz is a fairly large whippet and takes a small. It's nowhere near let out as far as it'll go either so the sizes seem fairly generous.

There's one up on eBay at the moment with one day left that's a medium, I don't know whether that's worth looking at?

13. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

The perfect fit harness is made up of 3 separate parts that can be easily adjustable. I love it :)

Perfect Fit Harness

14. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

15. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If you'd posted this thread three days earlier!! Dylan's old Webmaster went to the rescue on Wednesday - you'd have been more than welcome to it!

16. cheekymonkey68

cheekymonkey68 PetForums VIP

https://mekuti.co.uk/harness_only.htm

I like the fact that you can get an extra clip at the neck if you dont want to put the harness over their head... :)

I'll be getting one of these when I next get a harness, as they are not too warm in the summer :) :)

17. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

For others reading this, I love my Mekuti! (Merlin's, not mine, I don't think it would fit me....)

Really well made and strong, the options for the different attachments are extremely useful, and I will be using it as a car harness. It is also the best thing for dogs which tend to lunge and when the lead is attached to go around the front of the dog, it prevents them from rearing up.

I will eventually get one for Rue as well.

18. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Is indi-dogs version cheaper, perhaps sid can add a ring to the front? its the extra girth round their little waist which seems to be key a similar designed (majestic's spook harness) is popular with owners on US greyhound forum I go on. Ruffwear is expensive but if you'll use it daily then can work out good value

19. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Damnit, those lucky rescue dogs!! Never mind, I will get one :thumbup:

I really want the webmaster but will also look into the mekuti and the perfect fit harnesses, compare prices and reviews and stuff :)

20. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I use the SASS ones that are made to measure and reasonably priced. All the fitments are brass including the buckles and eyelets and you can have them fleece lined too if you want. Its the walking/tracking harness if you want to have a look at those.

Tracking / Walking Harness | SASS Dog Equipment