Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Equipment question - what do I need?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoppyPaws, Jun 26, 2017.

1. PoppyPaws

PoppyPaws PetForums Junior

I was just hoping to get a bit of advice about a couple of things if that's ok! We're getting a puppy in about a month, so just starting to buy bits and pieces that we'll need.

I'm getting a crate, but I'm not quite sure what size I'll need. He's a Cockapoo, so I was looking at medium/36 inch crate - will that be too small? Also, is it advisable to cover the crate to make it more like a den, or leave it uncovered so he can see all around? It's going to be positioned by a window so would it best to block the view to the window at least? Also, is it worth getting one of those water bottles that clips to the side of the crate, or are they unnecessary?

Is it also worth getting a puppy run for the first little while? I'm not planning to leave him alone for any great length of time, but if I need the loo I don't want to have to put him in the crate every time.

Also, possibly daft question. But is there anywhere you can get dog safe soft toys without squeakers in? I'd like him to have a couple of snugly type toys but don't want to listen to constant squeaking if possible!

Thank you!

2. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

When they're young puppies it's best to have a crate big enough for bed and a water bowl (i like the road refresher bowls as they dont spill even if upturned) but nothing else. I always got the size required for when they're adult and then used a divider to make it small as a puppy and make it bigger at they grow. You don't want too much room as they might toilet in there (puppies generally won't choose to toilet where they sleep so toilet breaks are needed during the night. Until their bladders are big enough for them to hold it)

I always cover crates to make it more cosy and secure. Plus I find when you do forced rest it makes them settle down much faster and you don't have a puppy staring at you, willing you to let them out.

I got a puppy pen and put the crate inside that for Jasper. It made nipping out of the room much easier and there was somewhere safe to put him when he was having his silly mouthy overtired puppy episodes.

Baby toys are fab. Nip to your local charity shops and you can pick up really good soft toys for less than a pound. The quality is normally much better than dog toys. Just make sure to avoid ones with beads in. (Mine love the baby comforter blanket toys with ribbons and the like, they're always ones they snuggle up to).

PoppyPaws likes this.
  3. Singlefish

Singlefish PetForums Junior

Freya has killed every soft toy that we've given her very quickly. To keep her amused one night I tied some knots into a muslin sheet.....hours of fun and at a couple of quid for a pack of 6 (baby aisle in supermarket)a lot cheaper than buying soft toys.

lullabydream likes this.
  4. PoppyPaws

PoppyPaws PetForums Junior

Thank you :) can you buy dividers, or do you make something yourself?

When my mum had dogs she would always buy normal cuddly toys, cut out the glass eyes and sew up the eye holes. I'll have a trawl of the charity shops this weekend and see what I can find!

5. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

My crate came with a divider but you could do the same with a strong piece of cardboard or buy a divider separately for your size crate :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice