Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

epilepsy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by skv, Aug 13, 2009.

1. skv

skv PetForums Newbie

High everyone, I am a new user and wondering if anyone can give advise on epilepsy. Unfortunately I find most Vets have a habit of wanting to try this try that and thanks for all the money. Following a fit my vet suggested an MRI Scan yet all the relevant information that I can find suggests this is something that would be done if other things fail. One of the vets in the same practise actually stated that the treatment would probably be the same anyway.
    More importantly we have been prescribed Epithen 60mg tabs to be taken @ 6 per day totalling 360mg yet everything I can find on the drug suggests starting at 200mg and only increasing in units of 20%. An overdose can be fatal. I would appreciate any advise

2. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

These are concerns i would def advise discussing with ur vet.
    Agree 6 x 60 mg is a very hi dose but what breed r we talking?
    Has ur dog just had a few siezures recently?

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you rung your vet and voiced your concern?

How many fits has your dog had altogether?

4. skv

skv PetForums Newbie

His breed is a Saint Bernard and he had a short seizure on the26/7/09, one again on 9/08/09 again on 13/08/09. All have been short seizures

5. skv

skv PetForums Newbie

Vet is currently out of hours but supposed to start meds tonight

6. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

U can still ring and get him to return ur call, that is free. Better safe.
    St bernard 60kg+ probs the reason for higher start dose.
    U will have to get the blood tested periodically to test the theraputic levals.
    the dosage is 2-5mg/kg per day so if ur bernard is around 70kg then it is still within the safe margin.
    also the dose must be divided so its really 180mg every 12 hours, sounds a little better!
    Big dogs do take more tablets.

#6 gesic, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  7. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

Hi,

I have had two dogs with epilepsy, both were insured and so the vet didn't hesitate but send one off to hospital for an mri scan and blood tests. It was all very distressing, the mri confirmed there was no brain tumour and a diagnosis of heriditary epilepsy was given, that was about all yet the bill was astronomical and although the insurance paid out I was left wishing I hadn't put my dog through it all.

The fits got closer together and worsened even on the meds, and they were so expensive, but again the insurance paid.

Good luck but use your own instincts as well as the vets advice, you know your dog best :)

8. skv

skv PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advise. Rang them earlier and they confirmed dosage. Other web sites seem to give the impression that it is still a little high although seems to quote a maximum of 8mg per 1lb which would be way way higher than current dosage. Just to advise "Buster" is 80 kilo. All the web advise on MRI seems to suggest this would not be done at an early stage and if a tumor was to be at fault the prognosis is not that good.

9. chesters mum

chesters mum PetForums Newbie

Hi, We also have a epileptic st bernard aged 3 and a half. Chester takes 7 x 60mg epiphen twice a day, 3 x 1000mg epilease capsules once daily and 3 x 300mg Gabapentin capsules three times a day. His weight is 107 kilos. Chester has had the MRI scan done at Newmarket but it didn't show a cause for the epilepsy. Fingers crossed 9 months fit free, best yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice