Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Epilepsy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sophie Waller, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Sophie Waller

Sophie Waller PetForums Newbie

Hi there

My beautiful Labrador has recently been diagnosed with epilepsy and is now on Epiphen, twice daily. I know it has to be administered as close to every 12 hours as possible which we will manage to do pretty much 100% of the time (7am, 7pm). I'm just wondering what people do, if for example you go out in the evening and miss the dosing time exactly, is it better to give the dose before heading out or after?
    This would obviously only be on rare occasions! We're new to all this, so it's just getting our heads around the workings of it all!!

Many thanks

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

A question best put to your vet

Sophie Waller and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

My Murphy was on epiphen, if we missed a dose then we had to miss it or change the times, so if we were half an hour late, the next dose would be half an hour later, I would ask the vet, word of caution as we were not told at the time, get bloods every 6 months, check the pancreas, liver etc as this drug used long term can cause side effects. Do not mean to worry you, Murphy was on it 6 years before he got the side effects, he was a Lab too

rona and kimthecat like this.
  4. Sophie Waller

Sophie Waller PetForums Newbie

Thank you for all the info, all very helpful. We're expecting a phone call from our vets tomorrow anyway so will ask them about dosing then. He's literally only just been put on the Epiphen this Saturday so it's good to hear other people's experiences. Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice