Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

epilepsy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by patchy, Feb 11, 2008.

1. patchy

patchy PetForums Newbie

:confused:my dog has been diagnosed with epilepsy and requires 4 phenobarbital 60 mg a day for the rest of his life, i have been to my local pharmasist who can supply me with a months supply for just over £5 as long as my vet gives me a prescription he will give me a prescription for epiphen which is exactly the same exept it is the canine version and will cost me about £20 a month , we do love our dog dearly and would appreciate advise from anyone in a similar situation ,unfortunetly we did not have our dog insured and would find it difficult to meet the vet bills and medication.

2. Pamnhols

Pamnhols PetForums Newbie

you can buy vet medicenes on the internet much cheaper, again the vet will have to give you a prescription, but they legally have to do that nowadays.

3. bully

bully PetForums Junior

hi,my dog also has epilepsy and it costs me about £28 for 18days of epiphen and she also has kbr meds too which is about £20 for month supply.i havent thought about trying online.....might be worth having a look..thats a shame you havent got your dog insured as i no how much it can cost!!!! we were lucky to have our dog insured as soon as we got her,otherwise its a costly time..let me no how you get on if try online..marie

4. tarot

tarot PetForums Junior

Hi

One of my collies, Kenny, has had severe epliepsy for three years now. Unforunatly he cluster fits which means he will have several siezure one after the other without coming out of them. We have vallium which we have to give him to get him out of the fit but it does not always work so that means of a trip to the vets and normally an overnight stay. At the moment he is on 300mg of epiphen and 120 potassium a day which is presently costing about 50.00 a month. Although Kenny is insured it is not lifetime cover so after the first 12 months we had to start paying. It is not a nice thing to see when your dog fits and I understand exactly how you must be feeling.

Most dogs will fit and come out of it, years ago we had a shepherd that fitted and she never had any medication. Kenny went for twelve months on a very low dosage before he got worse and alot of dogs may never need to have their medication increased so hopefully your dog will be fine the dosage he is on now.

yvonne

5. michael-toby

michael-toby PetForums Newbie

I am new user and after some help , my border collie has had epilepsy for 3- 4 years , the fits have been controlled by Epiphen/Phenobarbitone 60mg twice a day .Toby's blood levels were checked two months ago and appeared fine. This has worked for the last few years however recently he has had more fits and even more worrying three days ago he had a fit and his behavior
    has changed , he has been shaking and losing his balance often falling over also he has become a scavenger for food , jumping on the side for food and following you round when you are eating.
    Anyone who has experienced similar your help or comments would be appreciated . We are going to the vets but they love to charge and keep repeating sometimes unnecessary visits thanks michael & toby

6. tarot

tarot PetForums Junior

Hi micheal-toby

The medication makes your dog hungry all the time. We have the same problem with Kenny as he will steal food off the worktops or anywhere else he can reach. We do not have bins in the kitchen as they were always being emptied over the floor so everything goes staight out to the dustbin. He will eat anything he can get hold off including socks, leaves, twigs and anything else he can chew. We just have to try and make sure nothing is left out and if we are eating and need to leave the room he is not left on his own with our dinner. It is hard and we do forget and he will steal something else we have left out (he pinched my sandwich today and I had only turned around to put the knives in the sink when I turned back it had gone) but it is just another part of his illness that we have had to learn to cope with.

Yvonne

7. KazBan

KazBan PetForums Newbie

Hi - my dog had a fit on Friday. It lasted about 3 mins and took him another hour to get over it. The next day he had a poo that was yellow and looser than normal. He is booked in with the vet for blood tests. He had a minor fit when he was younger (he is six now) but we thought it was down to hot weather and it did not last as long as this one or took him so long to recover. - any ideas from Forum?

8. bully

bully PetForums Junior

hi,sorry to hear about your dog fitting,its a shame to see them like that but your doing the right thing taking him to the vet & getting him checked out,hope he gets on ok.my dog is on regulare meds which seem to control her fits,she had one 2wks ago & that was about 3mths since her last 1 as it used to be 1 every 6wks.takes a while to get meds sorted ie:blood tests & stuff but its worth the wait.Good luck & keep us posted...marie :thumbup: sorry forgot to say my dog takes about an hr too to come back to normal & i always give her some food after as she is starving,they say its like running a marathon !! ps had a wee tip from web saying ice-cream was good as it cool them down & she loves it.

#8 bully, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Yes they have to give you them nowadays, but at one time they could refuse meds are much cheaper in the net, we wasnt able to take advantage of this and my dogs heart meds was £98 per month. P.O.M meds are very expensive from the vets

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Vets are also now legally able to charge you for a prescription. My old vets charged £15. I still saved as my dogs heart meds were £120 from them, but £64 online!

1 person likes this.
  11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I know they are a lot cheaper, i would have bought online if i could have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice