Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

epilepsy

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by lucyhss, Apr 7, 2011.

1. lucyhss

lucyhss PetForums Newbie

hi all. just had my 20 mnth border collie confirmed he has epilepsy, what a waste of a young dog! brought for agility, vet said to chech breeding, has anyone knowledge of epilepsy in laetare bloodlines as this dogs lines, tried breeder very unhelpful??? wonder why ? thanks lucy.

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I am familiar with the dogs, I haven't come across any with epilepsy, some compete in my sport and they are in the lines of others I know, but others may know differently.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I assume your vet has ruled out all other causes that can cause seizures before confirming idopathic epilepsy.
    A good website that tells you absolutely everything about all aspects of epilepsy is Canine epilepsy and diseases that cause seizures in dogs

Also not sure it you know the Animal Health Trust are in the process of trying to identify the factor of Idiopathic Epilepsy in The Border Collie, details on (Hopefully link will work)
    www.bordercollie.com/bordercollie_epilepsy_aht.html

#3 Sled dog hotel, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  4. Tyke757

Tyke757 PetForums Newbie

Lucy

Any chance you could let me know your dogs parents. I am currently looking for a puppy & one of the litters I am looking at as a possible has laetare in it.

Cheers

T

5. Tyke757

Tyke757 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I had no response from original poster. I have done a lot of research and spoken to various breeders with laetare in their lines and have found no epilepsy. I have come to the conclusion that the original poster may have their facts wrong and that is why they have not got back to me with more details. The litter I was interested in was lovely but unfortunately there wasn't one available:(

T

6. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Unfortunately our first BC had some epilepsy, even in the early 70's it was generally suprressible so much so that I never saw a canine fit. Perhaps the dog would enjoy a tracking day or some other activity without the height.

7. lucyhss

lucyhss PetForums Newbie

Hi Jenny. Thanks for reply, found Laetare owner, brick wall! my boys breeding is Laetare Cerafyn, Laetare Justa Mo Jomo, Laetare Pikes Floosie, want to make others aware! for any future pup owners ! Lucy

8. lucyhss

lucyhss PetForums Newbie

HI, sorry for delay been compiling facts for action against breeder, my boys breeding includes Laetare Justa Mo Jomo, Laetare Cerafyn, Laetare Pikes Floosie which has been confirmed with epilsey! Lucy

9. Tyke757

Tyke757 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for getting back to me. Very interesting laetare justa mojo appears to only have sired 2 litters of which only one of the offspring has one puppy. Laetare pied floosie doesn't appear to have had a litter and cerafyn has had three litters. That is according to anadune. Have you looked at the other side of the breeding. If floosie is the mother of your dog have you researched her fathers line same with mojo and cerafyn and the dad of your dog.

T

#9 Tyke757, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. jbarron

jbarron PetForums Newbie

Hello all. I am the owner of the Laetare affix. I have been trying to correspond with this person without success so whatever she says, she has not had a block! I have asked her for details of both her dog and its breeding and myself have drawn a blank. I am even more interested in the breed than she is and if there is idiopathic epilepsy in my lines then it is certainly not in my knowledge base! I would never knowingly breed dogs with any hint of this epilepsy, but as far as I know, no dog bred by me or any of the dogs owners who bought pups from me, has produced an idiopathic epileptic dog. it is correct that L J Mojo has llimited pure bred progeny; non to his owners knowledge anyway have been bred from and none have shown any trace of any problem, nor to my knowledge has any of the Pike litter. One of those pups did develop E type symptoms but it was not IE(idiopathic epileptic) .
    L. Cerafyn also has no trace so I really do not know what this woman is on about. The genetics re I. Epilepsy are still being researched and data collected and as yet there is no known test or genetic traceability available, but be sure...all of us who are responsible breeders are very aware of the potential impact injudicious breeding may have on the breed generally and as far as I know everyone involved acts responsibly with the information to hand. This "woman" refuses to identify herself or the breeding involved and until she does, then I for one will treat her with the contempt she deserves. The reason I am posting this is because I care. I care about correct information, speculation, ill advised information and incorrect information being bandied about over the internet. I have had only an allegation and no proof. Anyone could have p;osted this...who is she, what is she, where is she, is she a she at all?
    I have not bred a litter for two years and those then were not sent abroad. (a total of 5 pups)..this lady accuses me of being responsible for her dog? I am sorry, but if I am culpable I will hold my hands up, but if I am not, then she can shoot her allegations into the wind. Generally, and I accept there are always exceptions, IE becomes apparent at a later age than her dog's did. However, she will not provide me with the evidence as she says it is in the hands of the lawyers. So keen is she to help the breed? I think not! Yes I will sign my name in full to this...it is Jacqueline Barron. Any further information anyone needs please contact me and I will do my best to help. Thanks.

11. Lumikoira

Lumikoira PetForums Member

Ideopathic epilepsy is not hereditary...... so there is no blame on you, whether it turns out to be in your lines or not....

I only wish more breeders were as responsible as you appear to be. Hope you get to the bottom of it, without prejudice from people who do not yet fully understand the disease x

12. Tyke757

Tyke757 PetForums Newbie

Lucy
    Wow what a can of worms you have opened. These dogs go back on some of the well known and well bred from dogs within the breed who appear in many dogs pedigrees including mine. I notice one of Laetare Justa Mojo’s grandparents is in my dogs pedigree twice. If what you allege is true you are not slating just one respectable kennel but many and also many that are still breeding. It has now, I would think, put many breeders in a very difficult position do they withdraw their dogs from stud if they are in any way related to any of the dogs mentioned, should people with bitches in whelp have the litters aborted if there are any connections. I think it is time you came out with the name of your dog and who his dogs parents are so those of us with dogs that have any of the same dogs in their pedigrees have a chance to make educated decisions. It will also be useful as I have only recently sent a saliva sample from my dog to the AHT, who are doing research into idiopathic epilepsy in Border Collies and as far as I was aware there were no issues with epilepsy in the line, now it would seem that dogs in your pedigree could well be in mine so I really need to get in touch with the AHT, as do many more so that the AHT do not waste time and money doing research that will not provide an accurate picture. I appreciate you are intending to sue the breeder but this could take time and as so many people in the bigger picture are potentially affected we need to know.

T

13. Tyke757

Tyke757 PetForums Newbie

Lucy

Please can you provide us with the pedigree of you dog I need to get in touch with AHT re my dogs samples that I have sent for their research as I sent them unaware that there was epilepsy in the line and now it appears that there is. It will also mean that other dogs that I know that are related I can let their owners know and hopefully provide samples for this very important research that might lead to a DNA test. Once again please please please let me know ASAP.

Thank you

T

14. d woodcock

d woodcock PetForums Newbie

Hi just noticed that in your message you noted that a off spring had only 1 pup what has that got to do with anything

15. Tyke757

Tyke757 PetForums Newbie

One puppy in a litter has nothing to do with epilepsy, I was just trying to work out who were the parents of the original posters dog. Using a database with info about border collie bloodlines I couldn't find a litter of the age of her dog from any of the dogs she mentioned. I was just mentioning what litters these dogs had, had.

Given up on ever finding out and will stick with the lines I have even though they have some of the same breeding.

#15 Tyke757, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  16. Dotty123

Dotty123 PetForums Newbie

One of my dogs has epilepsy and has tablets to control it by the vet and he leads a normal life. When your dog gets used to the tablets try him with agility and see what happens you might be suprised. :)

17. margaret roberts

margaret roberts PetForums Newbie

hello
    can i refer you to the web site below which details border collies with epilepsy and part of their pedigree
    BCCCZ - epilepsy
    and i think you may find what you are looking for.
    I belong to an epilepy support group and would be quite happy to supply you with details.
    I have been unfortunate to have had 4 border collies with epilepsy so i spend a lot of time checking pedigrees.
    Beautiful days border collie website may also interest you as they have stopped breeding becauase epilepsy has occured in their lines
    please e mail back if i can be any further help.
    I suggest any bodyelse who is thinking of buying a border collie have a look at the bcccz website. More dogs are been added all the time.
    margaret

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice