Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Epilepsy and cluster fits

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Wolfie1, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Wolfie1

Wolfie1 PetForums Newbie

Hi. Just thought I would post about my collie cross Alsatian Wolfie. She has had cluster fits since she was 3 and is now nearly 7.
    She has over the years had her epiphany Tablets increased from 30mg twice a day to currently 180mg twice a day. She had to have her dose increased a few weeks ago and as her body gets used to the dose over a period of 4 months so the fits increase.
    When I increased her epiphen this time after 4 days her back legs gave way and she passed out for 30 mins. So that day I decreased her meds back to 2 x 180mg. Vets have tried to add other meds but side effects not worth it for no guaranteed benefit.
    After she passed out as always I went internet searching for natural remedies. Researched natural diets, and one consultant mentioned Keto diet supplemented with herbs. (Keto diet sounded too much of a faff) Wolfie is also on a low fat rice/chicken/Chappie biscuits diet for other health reasons.
    Anyway, I decided it wouldn’t hurt to try the herb side of what they suggested. Wolfie was having 3 fits a week and since adding these supplements she hasn’t had any for 2 weeks and counting.
    We are hoping this may help some of you. Wolfie gets chicken/rice twice a day and 40g Chappie biscuits twice a day an hour or so after her food. With her main food she now also gets 1/4 tsp kelp, 1/4 tsp ginger powder, 1/2 tsp cod liver oil, and 1tsp organic hemp seed oil (the type you drizzle over your salads). Nothing special, just got from aN ordinary food supplier.
    Obviously you can try and reduce the dose to the size of the dog. But I read all these provide essential vitamins and minerals, brain and nerve supplements and the hemp seed oil is calming.
    We are hoping this will continue working/helping. Wolfie is also a lot more relaxed and playful.
    Hope this helps someone.

Twiggy and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

So pleased you have found something which helps your bitch. There are far too many collies and collie crosses with epilepsy I'm afraid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice