Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eosinophilic granuloma

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Shadow And Lightning, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

does anyone know what causes these and if they are contagious amongst cats?
    shadow had one first, the vets said it was this and he got treatment and was fine

now hes got it again, as do a few of the others :/
    any ideass??

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Google says...........Eosinophilic granuloma complex

I had to google as I have never heard of it before.

3. tonytibbs

tonytibbs Banned

My cat was diagnosed with this, but a biopsy showed it was actually plasma cell pododermatitis not E.S as first thought.

But my vet said E.S is caused by an allergic reaction to something, mainly flea bites. My cats didn't have fleas.

Went to another vet who did the biopsy and turned out to be podo.

Is it your cats mouths or feet that are affected? Antibiotics especially chlydamincyn helps if the swellings get ulcerated/infected.

E.S and podo are tough to treat. :(

4. tonytibbs

tonytibbs Banned

ps. E.S is not contagious as far as I know. But if you have a flea problem (peak summer worst time for fleas), flea bites could be causing allergic reactions in the cats that are sensitive/allergic. Are any of them related? Allergies are passed down by genes.

Treat them all for fleas', and if it is E.S/ allergic reaction it should resolve itself eventually. :)

I have bucket loads of info on this and podo, feel free to pm me. It can be a frustrating condition to deal with. ((((hugs))))

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

My understanding is that it is not infectious....but it seems that several of your cats are reacting to something in the home or their food.
    Do they eat from plastic bowls at all?
    I know that cleaning the affected areas with Colloidal silver can help, also supplementing diet with fish oil or Evening Primrose oil.

6. tonytibbs

tonytibbs Banned

I agree, allergic reaction causes E.S, so if not fleas', Paddy paws is right, look for other explanations as the root cause :)

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

One of my cats has had Eosinophilic granulomas in the form of ulcers on his top or bottom lip. (these ulcers are also known as "rodent ulcers", though have nothing at all to do with rodents).

My cats ulcers were due entirely to food allergies. I assume Eosin.granulomas on the skin are also due to allergies, but perhaps an environmental cause could be implicated if several of your cats have had it and the specific cats are not blood relatives.

Paddypaws mentions plastic bowls, which can be one cause. Another cause might be a household cleaner or laundry liquid you are using. Best to just use soap and hot water to clean surfaces and floors.

Do NOT use biological laundry liquid to launder anything the cats may lie on (including your own bedding), as it can cause skin problems. To be on the safe side use an unscented non-bio liquid such as Boots Sensitive Laundry Liquid, or Surcare liquid or powder (available at Tesco etc).

Ensure flea treatments are kept up to date. In these circumstances don't wait until you see signs of fleas. I find my cat with skin problems tolerates Activyl better than Advantage (different insecticide). Advantage twice gave him a rash on the back of his neck where I'd applied it.

If it is not an environmental cause, then it is likely to be a food, and the only way to identify which food is to put the affected cat on an elimination diet and feed nothing but novel protein & water ((e.g. Ropocat venison) for 6 weeks, then gradually re-introduce single proteins (chicken, lamb, turkey etc) one at a time with 2 weeks between each introduction.

I discovered my cat has allergies to beef and cereals. He is fine now on a varied diet of single protein wet foods + one meal of raw a day.

8. Shadow And Lightning

it is mainly their mouths that are affected
    however, we do have a flea problem at the moment, they was treated about 3 weeks ago so was the house but the last few days im finding fleas, not on them but like jumping on me, gross i know

so ive gotta go on a full flea bombing thing again
    they do also have plastic plates i find they dont eat from other types of material though

they are fed natural instinct and nutriment and until recently nurture by nature too

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

S&L -- you shouldn't need to use flea bombs, if you are using an effective flea treatment, i.e. either Advantage or Activyl. These are the only 2 than contain pesticides that are sure to work effectively. Are you using one of these every 4 to 6 weeks?

Also, if you spray every room in your house with an Insecticide such as Acclaim, Indorex or Staykill, it should only need doing once a year or every 6 mths maximum to keep things under control.

You need to vacuum every day for a couple of weeks after you have treated, to get larvae out of the carpet and cracks in hardwood floors.

I would try and get them to eat from ceramic plates rather than plastic.
    You are feeding them a raw diet so plastic plates are bad news as they get scratched and trap bacteria which is not removed by washing, not even in a dish washer (studies have shown this to be the case). The last thing you want is to be putting raw meat on a dish which is already contaminated by bacteria.

I think it is more likely to be the shape of the plate/bowl they like than the material, so you could perhaps experiment with ceramic saucers, plates or bowls to find a shape/size they like.

I can understand if they don't like stainless steel dishes, my cats don't either, and it may be because stainless steel has a strong natural smell to it. So I'd give stainless steel a miss.

As I say, it could be a food allergy, certainly if the ulcers are on the mouth, but as there are several cats affected (and I assume they are not blood relatives of each other), then this seems less likely and seems more probable it is an environmental allergy e.g. fleas, plastic bowls or cleaning/laundry liquids.

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

You can buy Advantage online without prescription.
    I prefer Indorex spray....not too sure whether Staykill is a great option, I read on another forum that it is not as effective and also the chemicals are dangerously toxic (ok, I am sure the other brands are not great chemicals either)
    I would buy some colloidal silver and start cleaning their faces with it, if there is acne on the chin then a very soft baby tooth brush can be used to gently scrub the area.
    I use cheap Ikea side plates for my cats....nice and easy to stack in the dishwasher.

11. Shadow And Lightning

they get treated with strong hold a few weeks and i done the house with indorex a few weeks ago too, is strong hold not a decent enough flea treatment? i can get advantage if thats better, they was flead at the beginning of this month so they should be overdosed with stuff should they?

shadow and lightning are blood relatives, but gypsy isnt related to any and shes started getting them too, oscar has slight swelling, nutmeg fifi milo and jake dont have anything though, not noticible anyway

they usually eat from plastic plates, my mum said its a material called melamine? and she thinks they started getting these ulcer things after they was flead

i can change their plates to ceramic, if i find any, their water bowls are also plastic, fountain etc is this an issue?

there is also acne on the chin yeah, especially domino, i never really know what to do with it so will try the colloidal silver

before now ive only really been treating fleas, when i find they have them rather than a preventative, so to keep these ulcers etc at bay should i start using them as a preventative rather than treatment?

i never knew about the raw and plastic plates, they have always had plastic plates, i changed to steel ones last year and they werent eating from them so went back to plastic, didnt consider ceramic, but if they can smell the steel that would explain why

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

S & L -- Stronghold is no longer fully effective I'm afraid. So you do need to use Advantage or Activyl. Yes, you do need to treat proactively, i.e. to prevent fleas, not just when you see fleas. In the summer months treat every 4 weeks until there are no more fleas, then reduce to every 6 weeks, and keep to that routine from then on.

But I would not use another treatment for 3 weeks after you last used one personally. Meanwhile you could flea comb twice a day and drop fleas in bowl of soapy water to drown them.

As you used Indorex recently you should not use again for about 6 mths, but you could put a cut up flea collar in the bag of your vacuum cleaner and hoover every day to pick up larvae which are hatching out of your carpet and skirting board etc.

I wouldn't use plastic bowls for anything, or a plastic fountain,as your cats have these problems. Zooplus do some very nice cheap heavy glazed earthenware water bowls, and although ceramic fountains are not cheap, they are worth every penny as they are more hygienic, easier to keep clean and also look nicer!

Great Deals on Cat Bowls at zooplus: Trixie Ceramic Cat

(I have some of these and they're easy to keep clean. If your cats like eating from bowls these would also do for their raw food:))

14. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Regarding the use of platic plates. I must admit I was initially very sceptical that this would work for my cat's feline acne, but when I changed to ceramic, it went away, so it does help.

15. Shadow And Lightning

mine should arrive by the end of the week, did go to town to have a look for some, but, didnt really find any that appealed to me
    have also ordered some bowls for the water
    they wont eat from bowls only plates, fussy buggers
    so hopefully by the time i come back from my holidays there will be no more plastic issues XD

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice