Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Entertaining your dog on the cheap

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by r_neupert, Jul 17, 2009.

1. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

So i have a dog that needs entertainment when we're out, so over time, we've worked out some ways to keep her entertained, please feel free to add to the list!

Frozen Kong - however Kong specific treats and pastes are quite expensive, so we use smart price cream cheese instead of paste, and other treats like marrowbones instead. We put the treats inside, then block up the holes with the frozen cheese.

Ice blocks of treats - seen a few people on here do it. We cut the end off a coke bottle fill it with dog food mixers and treats and freeze it.

Toilet roll tubes - She loves them....

Empty drinks bottles - Someone mentioned this to me on here, take the lid off though.

Rawhide Cigars - Probably should be supervised when munching on these, and not given too often as i've noticed Indy is a little addicted.

Radio or TV - God knows if she actually likes it, but probably makes her feel less alone when we're out.

That's all i've thought of so far - but please if you can think of entertainment on the cheap, please add! I guess keeping a healthy variety of all these things and more helps to keep them entertained.

2. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

We got a new big flatscreen TV and Oscar is mesmerised, especially when the tennis was on. His little head followed the ball, it was so funny!

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Easy...get a pack and they entertain each other!!! :D We'll mine do anyway!! ;)

4. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i agree with you JSR :D

5. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

You know those value range kitchen towel rolls you get. I sometimes give Shen one complete with the towels. He has hours of fun and its not too hard to clean up.

6. JuNeil

JuNeil PetForums Member

Good discussion! - I am always unsure of what to leave him when we go out and just usually stick to things I know like Kongs but I know for a fact he loves toilet rolls - am just always scared he might choke.

One thing we did do when it was really hot - we got an old sock and filled it with ice and knotted it. It kept him occupied for ages and kept him cool in the process.

7. r_neupert

Haha! Get a pack of dogs!! Well we did say doing it on the cheap ;)

If my dog is left to her own devices and given her track history, she'll happily eat anything regardless of what it'll do - so i rather leave items which i know is going to do her as little damage as possible. She's still alive, so i'm guessing it's worked so far....!!

Actually when the little sod had a habit of ripping the sofa apart, we used to give her a bag of sofa stuffing, so she could have all the fun of attacking the contents without doing more damage to the sofa...!

8. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

Absolutely, mine do aswell.
    A good game to play with them is to put them outside, then hide treats all over the house, Mine love to do this as they have to use their brains and their noses :)

9. r_neupert

I was always under the impression i had a fairly bright dog.... that was squashed when i folded a treat into a toilet roll... yes all i did was flatten it and fold the ends. Could she work it out.... nope.... it remained in there for a full week before i eventually freed it and gave it to her.

10. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Pippin loves treats in empty pop bottles too...loo rolls we have to supervise though in case she eats it! She loves to rip up newspaper, well, any paper, but thats a supervised one too!

When we go out she has the radio on, water, treats, whatever is left of her breakkie....and she sits in the window with her chews watching the world go by! Id swop places with her anyday!

11. r_neupert

Heh, the day i have to worry about my dog eating a loo roll, i will be very happy!! Loo roll is the lesser of all the evils my dog munches, at least it's vaguely digestable!!

12. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

Feed Raw :D

It keeps my brood busy all day

They are still munching on breakfast bones lol

13. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

It's expensive though, especially if you've got a dog like mine who loves to play "Andrex Puppy" on a regular basis!!

14. r_neupert

When Indy was a few months old, i took her out for a walk, she did a poop, we came back and within a few minutes like puppies do she took a pee on the carpet. I cleaned up said wee, and went to do the weekly shop. Came back and she had the blinking kitchen roll i just used to clean up the wee, she rolled about 30m of the stuff up and down the stairs, shredded it, and the house looked like a christmas scene.

Suffice to say she only gets the tube now...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice