Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Entertaining a lone rat?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by catz4m8z, Nov 25, 2012.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Anyone got any suggestions for how to keep a lone rat amused?:confused:
    Obviously they should live together but my girls are 2 and a half and Im going to be losing one next week (will be PTS due to a huge tumor:(). I also noticed that her sister has a pea sized tumor too so I think she will follow not long afterwards which will leave one on her own.
    Unfortunatley they never got hand tame so dont want alot to do with me and have to live in a room on their own as one of the dogs is obssessed with small furries...

2. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

your best bet would be to look at getting 2 more rats and introducing them to the group, if you dont want to get any more rats, it may be in her best interest to rehome her to some one who has other rats, or as harsh as it sounds, if you think shes not got long left, it may be in her best interests to let her go with her sister, living a life of isolation on her own with nothing even to watch in the room is no life at all, however little of it may be left :(

can your dog not be desensitized to small furries in cages? my mal has an incredably stupid prey drive, but has learnt not to bother the fluffs in the cages, obviously for their own safety though she is removed from the room, or crated when they come out

3. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

I think getting 2 more girls is the best option if you are still planning on keeping rats. Other than that you could look to rehome her with another owner who has girls. I wouldn't feel right euthanizing a rat with a fair quality of life still left to live. Once her cage mate has gone she may be more open to some attention from you if you have the patience and time.

4. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

neither would i tbh but the OP stated that she didnt think she had long left, and if more rats arernt an option and she doesnt become more open to attention, what sort of life would she be left with?

5. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

I'd rehome both your remaining girls.
    If the other has a small pea sized lump it can be removed!
    If there having to be shut up in a room where they don't get much human interaction then if they were mine I'd rehome. Saying that though if they were mine I'd be spending a lot of time handling them!
    Obviously your dogs are a threat to them.

The fancy rats forum is your best place to rehome them in the rehoming section.

But if you do want more rats in the future then two babies are best,but you need to put the time in to make them tame but as you say your others aren't that tame then you must not have put much effort in.

Sorry to sound harsh.

6. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Its not the lack of time or effort. I spent several hours a day for months when I first got them getting them out, playing with them, treating them and they never developed any interest in me.:( (my fault for getting them from a pet shop). Ive had about 20 rats in the past and most were very friendly and not hand shy at all.
    I did have the cage downstairs when I first got them but the dog spent all day just barking and lunging at the cage and any distraction would only work for a minute to two before she was back to trying to get at them.
    Hmmmmm, ok......thinking cap on!!LOL:)

8. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Don't worry my 3 boys I have now aren't keen on being handled...not all rats are despite hours of trying.

9. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

distractions didnt work with my dog either, i ended up having to physically remove her from around the cages and use the no comand, if she went back after being removed the lead came out and she ended up sitting on the lead at my feet at the other side of the room untill she gave up trying to get back, once she was calm she was released, didnt take long for her to get the message

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Ok...just had a good rummage round and found Inigo my hamsters old cage!
    Its a Savic Ruffy so big enough for one elderly rat. Also means when the time comes I can move her downstairs out of doggy eyeline but in a room with company for most of the day!:thumbup:
    Phew!! I worried for Audrid. Whilst she isnt hand tame she is always the one to come up to the bars to see what tasty nibbles you might have.:) Hopefully I can keep her entertained without her sisters around, I think the sacrifice of some space is worth it for the more stimulating environment.

11. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Aren't u going to try and get the lump removed on the other rat? As you say it's only pea sized at the min!
    And it may not even be a tumour it may just be a cyst as this is what one of my boys has. It's been like it for 3 months.

12. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

At her age if the lump is slow growing it may never become an issue to your girl in the lifetime she has left, if it grows quickly however it might be worth having it removed. As far as entertaining a lone rat goes, I would see how she is when her cagemate goes, I left Valentine for a few weeks and she was missing Cookie terribly so I got three girls to keep her company, they are youngsters but they are really sweet together. If you arent wanting any more rats in the future then I would suggest looking for the right home for her with other rats. Sorry youre loosing your other girl next week though :(

13. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

My 3 babies are pet shop rats(from the adoption part but were originally bought from there in the first place) and I have had no trouble getting them hand tame.One is shyer than the others but will let himself be picked up.I can understand one rat being less tame than the others but for all 3 to be tame seems to be more an owner's fault than a rat's fault.Sorry.
    If you're not planning on getting more rats I would rehome both the ones you have left tbh.I certainly wouldn't keep the last one on her own :( Poor girl.And if it's only a pea sized lump on the second one there's nothing to say she won't live another 6 months.I don't think putting a rat on her own in a hamster cage is a good idea either.

14. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

I will add my 3 can be handled and have never bitten and tdm knows that as she has handled them. They just prefer not to be handled too much. They are all brothers.
    The savic ruffy is marketed as a rat /ferret cage...I certainly wouldn't put a ferret in it but a lone rat would be fine...that doesn't mean she should be on her own though.

#14 Lavenderb, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  15. thedogsmother

Caught them, handled them, been frowned at by them, put them back in cage, got glared at for daring to hold them and learned not to bother them again :lol:

16. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Funny thing is...I've popped them into one half of the ferrets run...(no ferrets nearby) and they are having a lovely time and have been having cuddles loads and even from the kids, little monkey's lol

17. thedogsmother

I like how they clean all the human off them after I held them, like it was sooooo distasteful to them :lol:

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thanks for the input. Maybe I will have to see if I can rehome them then, although frankly I dont agree with rehoming pets esp poorly or elderly ones.:( I could have them operated on but Im not a fan of big operations on elderly pets and I have had a few develop mammary tumors in the last 20 years and once they get them they tend to reoccur (also related rats seem to develop issues at the same time).
    I will keep my fingers crossed that it wont be an issue though as Emony's tumor is extremely slow growing and she has managed with it fine for quite a while. I dont think you can assume that someone just hasnt tried if they have rodents that dont like people though. In all these years Ive only ever had 2 lots that wouldnt accept being handled. Ive also had plenty that would fall asleep on my shoulder, groom my ears and get super excited when I come home!!:)

19. thedogsmother

I know what you mean about rehoming animals seeming wrong, I think with rats is different though, if youre not wanting to continue keeping rats and you can find her a home with friends, then it isnt as if youre doing it because you cant be bothered with her any more, it would be for her mental well being. I will one day be in the same situation and Im not relishing it myself either :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice