Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

english springer spaniels

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by christine0808, Aug 12, 2009.

1. christine0808

christine0808 PetForums Junior

Im thinking of buying a springer spaniel for my partner who as wanted one for a while,My questions are to any1 that has 1 is are they good with children and how are they with other dogs as my Dal is 2 but is still a big pup but can be a bit hyppo,can they deal with the amount of energy that dal has.
    thank you

2. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

A springer will wear your Dally out in 10 minutes. Rock hard dogs that love to get on with everything. They are very good with all things and make great family pets yes :)

forgot to say ...... springer can get very hyper if they are not handled right, so your either a glutton for punnishment or good with your training lol ;)

pm if ya want more detalis - i have a small pic album on here if ya want to look

3. christine0808

christine0808 PetForums Junior

haha ive had a husky before with the dal,that was hard work but i was pregnant was abit of a handful lol.
    Ive grown up with dogs so i get on the training quickly,il pm you.
    thank you

4. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I have grown up around dogs but never owned my first dog till 3 years ago and guess what it was? yep a springer spaniel

Great dogs, great family dogs just great all rounder dogs.

They train easily too, Mine knows over 40 different commands and tricks.

Since you've had a husky and now a dali, i'd say a springer would be no problem for you although beware they do love water and mud ;)

5. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Exactly what you said.

6. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have an English Springer and he had never known living with children or cats for that matter! And i have a 3yr old (2 and a half when we had him) and i have 4 cats! He is absolutely amazing! Soft as silk!!

But they are super high energy. Not only (at the very least) 2 hours walks a day, but free running and at least twice a day!
    They also need a lot of mental stimualtion. They are very very hard work, but i thnk if you can offer them the life they derserve they make amazing family pets!

P.S Be warned ESS's love water and mud!!

7. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

lol they love watery mud more like ;p

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

lol!! Well anything dirty and wet ;) :D

9. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

My grandmother had springer spaniels all her life except for one St Bernard in the middle of her dog ownership years. She used to say what many do about their own particular breed of dog: "it's not a dog unless it's a springer". She loved the St. Bernard but she said she could never put herself though the heartbreak of getting a dog that had a relatively hort life expectancy again.

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My dad has a Dalmatain. They often look after a springer, Monty the Dally tires Waaaaay before the springer!
    She is very good with children.

x

11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome, and can i say what a great choice of dog, but i would say that, i have owned 3 springers over the last 10 years, and there are people on here a lot more experienced than me, james who had already replied.

They are wonderfull family dogs,and be sure on this, a springer will give your hypo 2 year old a run for its money, they will make great companions, if their needs are met, mine are molly age 12months and harvey who is 9years YOUNG! we had harveys brother up to last year he would have been 10 now.

They are high energy dogs but contrary to belief they like nothing more to curl up on an evening and veg:)unless you rattle the lead:D and then they'd be off, as long as they live in the environment that suits them they are NOT, lead walking street dogs they need off lead, WORKING DOGS, so recall training is important from a very young age i started this with mine for 2 mins at 9 weeks and build it up, never had a problem, they need open fields and woods because believe me if you work them or not the instinct is there and they will work, so important for their well being/mental and phisical exercise that you allow them to do this, otherwise you will never tire them 30/45 mins of this excercise will be the equivelent to walking miles and they love it,
    DONT LET PEOPLE PUT YOU OFF WITH THE OLD SAYINGS. . .
    They are loopy. . . they are if you allow them to be.
    You will never tire that dog out. . wrong with the right excercise you will.
    They will chew your house up. . . wrong with correct stimulation and the right toys no they will not.

Springers are always eagre to please, very loving and very loyal, dont let those big eyes, long floppy ears and lovable licks distract you from the fact that they need good,strong clear boundaries a "no" must be a "no" and you always have the last word on whatever you do i know this is typical for any dog but with a springer its important as he/she would run rings around you very quickly literally. You cannot have a dog with the energy and inteligence of a springer the boss of you,you would rue the day. I can guarantee you will have lots of fun with your springer, any work you put in a springer will repay you tenfold.

Hope this helps a little.

12. haeveymolly

Exactly my harvey hates water, well if it comes over his knees.:D

13. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I have 2 springers

Best breed ever. So loyal :D

14. haeveymolly

Just to bump, op needs as much helpfull advice as poss:)

15. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

Springers are wonderful with children and other dogs,

I think the springer will have more energy then your dal :001_tt2:

16. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

excellent bit of writing haevymolly

17. haeveymolly

Thanks, tried to think of it all, the good, the bad and potential pitfalls.

18. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

i have 2 springers and when my grandson comes he is 9 months they both love him to bits they are hard work though but well worth having i wouldnt be without mine

19. haeveymolly

My 2 are great with kids, there just great all round are springers.

20. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

the OP pm'd me and mentioned a young child that likes to pull ears ---- what do you all think to this :cool: I was having second thoughts myself?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice