Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

English Springer Spaniels?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cherrysoda, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Cherrysoda

Cherrysoda PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I was just looking for some advice on English Springer Spaniel's. For a while now i've been looking into different gundog breeds,at one point especially Italian Spinone which I sadly had to rule out, and I keep coming back to springer spaniels. Always found them to seem lovely dogs, never owned one myself and was just wondering what they are like to own, moreso show type than working? In terms of exercise how much they need? And what would they be like in a home with cats?

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Show types are large with a lot of coat, tend to be more laid back than the working types. Working types are plentiful (round here anyway). Lively and trainable, but if you want a pet make sure you get a pet bred springer rather than one from working lines as they can be very worky. Make sure both parents have been health TESTED (not just health CHECKED), you can check what health tests springers need by a quick google.
    Springers are pretty lively, they will want to run and hunt (or play ball) for as long as you can give them from the ones I know! Spaniels in general are usually OK with cats, especially if you get a pup and bring it up with cats. It's birds they live to flush and chase!

kimthecat, Sairy and Twiggy like this.
  3. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

Out of curiosity, why did you rule out Spinoni ?

4. Bluemoon7

Bluemoon7 PetForums Junior

I’ve just posted about my Springer on the thread regarding working cocker spaniels. Mine is from working lines but I have put a bit of info in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice